Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2007, 10:23 AM   #81
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE
Well all,

Sure looks like the wrap windows on the FBs are not doing to good as far as keeping the elements out. Ours was new in March 06 and was back at Jackson Center in May 06 to seal her back up. I was told that some of the problem is the front-center solar shield that tilts up causes flexing of the area above the front windows thus opening up the seals/gaskets.

We love our wrapped windows or panos as some call them, but you pay more for them than just the original price.....

Wheel Interested - did they replace all of the seals/gaskets for the rear windows?

John
John.

I disagree with the factory.

Your super heavy duty tow vehicle, along with probably way too much hitch, is "shaking" the front end apart.

Until you soften the ride, you problem with the trailer will continue, except in time, more svere damages "will" occur.

If you wish, call me, and I will explain the problem in more detail.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Well all,

Sure looks like the wrap windows on the FBs are not doing to good as far as keeping the elements out. Ours was new in March 06 and was back at Jackson Center in May 06 to seal her back up. I was told that some of the problem is the front-center solar shield that tilts up causes flexing of the area above the front windows thus opening up the seals/gaskets.

We love our wrapped windows or panos as some call them, but you pay more for them than just the original price.....

Wheel Interested - did they replace all of the seals/gaskets for the rear windows?

John
No they only replaced one side of the middle window closest to where it was splashing in next to me, and loosened the window latch saying the tension was compressing the seal. They painted the rivets the last time and put the grey sealant in heavy lines at the seams, at least twice, if not every day I said it still leaked after the night's rain, and doesn't look all that nice. Also said the awning wasn't sealed properly but it was still leaking after that was fixed. It was leaking in at least two places, the point of entry (interior) for the most water, (1/4 roll of paper towels shoring it up and sopping up and drying the mouse fur during that particular night) was at the side window top where it meets the center window and that hole in the frame (for wires?)

They had the radio out, the monitor unplugged, the lamp out and the headliner holder strip off and the fantastic vent shield off. I do not know if that was only in preparation for removal before Rick called to abort removal or if there was investigation and a problem in that.

I am still working on getting the stains out of the drapes today as they merely put them back without addressing that issue on my list as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1439.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	36746   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1438.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	36747  

Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1437.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	36748   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1436.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	36749  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:11 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
John.

I disagree with the factory.

Your super heavy duty tow vehicle, along with probably way too much hitch, is "shaking" the front end apart.

Until you soften the ride, you problem with the trailer will continue, except in time, more svere damages "will" occur.

If you wish, call me, and I will explain the problem in more detail.

Andy
Thanks Andy, I will give you a call for the details.

John
Old 05-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Thanks Andy, I will give you a call for the details.

John
John,

Since you and I have the same setup. Would you please shoot me an E-mail giving me the info you get from Andy.

Thanks, Milo

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:08 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
same but not the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
John,

Since you and I have the same setup. Would you please shoot me an E-mail giving me the info you get from Andy.

Thanks, Milo
I am not sure that the answer will apply to your rig, my truck is yellow and yours is silver......but I will e-mail you anyway.

John
Old 05-04-2007, 05:16 AM   #86
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Martin , Georgia
I've got a 2007 25" FB Int. on the way. Please post or send me information also. I've got a Silverado 2500HD 4x4 ext. cab. It may be as rough on trailers as the Fords.

Thanks,
Keith
Dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:30 PM   #87
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun never stops

Well I finally replaced the factory mattress yesterday. I had too cut it up for the dumpster and it is made from cheap foam and no memory foam!!!
I put a full queen from National Foam, which I got from Overstock.com.
Slept good last night, only time will tell.
I extended the plateform at the curb side wall 5".
That only leaves the A/C, Heater, Frig, Charger & Converter and I will have a working Airstream.
Not bad for a 13 mouth old $60,000 Airstream.
You got too love Airstream Quality.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:42 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Wow, I had narrowed my decision down to a Safari SE 25FB (my husband wants a 27FB) but after reading this long conversation about all the problems I'm not even sure I still want an airstream! I can't even imagine buying a brand new shiney trailer and carrying my caulking gun everywhere I travel to patch up the holes.... I'm thinking fiberglass must make more sense! MJ
MJBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:23 PM   #89
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBear
Wow, I had narrowed my decision down to a Safari SE 25FB (my husband wants a 27FB) but after reading this long conversation about all the problems I'm not even sure I still want an airstream! I can't even imagine buying a brand new shiney trailer and carrying my caulking gun everywhere I travel to patch up the holes.... I'm thinking fiberglass must make more sense! MJ
You have heard complaints, that are legitimate, from a very small fraction of Airstream owners.

Many times, the real problem, is the selling dealer, not doing the job Airstream expects them to do.

Human nature, hasn't changed in many years.

The vast majority of happy owners, never say a word, but the very small number of dissatisfied owners, who have complained, and right fully so, make the most noise.

If you think other brands are superior to Airstream, and you purchase one, you may find yourself in a worse situation than you could ever be with an Airstream.

Choose a dealer than has an excellent reputation. That dealer usually will not have the best price, but will have many satisfied customers.

Service, is the key. A well run service department is extremely important.

Word of mouth, is your best bet.

Anyone can sell you an Airstream, but not everyone can properly service it.

Why???

They just don't have the proper training, along with a "that's good enough attitude."

Andy
Old 07-08-2007, 11:23 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Welcome in! Glad you are here.

Our 25FB has not given us a bit of trouble. It has given us a lot of joy though. Next month we will have had it for a year.

I just returned from a 1600 mile three state trip. Also we use our trailer a minimum of once a month and often more.

Just like cars or toasters sometimes a bad one slips through. Nothing man made is perfect.

I totally agree with Andy that a quality dealer makes a huge differance in your overall Airstream happiness.

As an aside if you read in the "open roads" forum you'll find that the white box brands have even bigger (more expensive) problems. Their lifespan is also very short compared to an Airstream.

Either a 25 or 27 FB is a great choice and a fantastic floorplan.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:37 AM   #91
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Thanks for the encouragement....one big concern is that we are 3hrs. from the closest dealer in any direction good or bad. I suppose the factory would also be a choice for repairs as it is between 5 and 6 hrs. All those return trips for warranty work sound unpleasant.
It also sounds like there are some years to stay away from re: showers etc. I'm keeping a list. After getting our TV I'll begin the countdown.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:42 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Our dealer is also 2-3 hours away. We don't regret buying an Airstream at all.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:00 AM   #93
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun never stops

They improved the shower door in 2007. Not perfect but much better.
The front window leak on mine was fixed by my dealer after the factory failed. It was the gaskets on the center window.
I haven't had any problems in a while, now I just need too replace the battery charger.
I still like Airstream over the SOB's but don't count on warrenty unless you have a good dealer. I am fulltime and am not alway near my dealer who is great. He has fixed a lot of problems that the factory didn't/couldn't.
I now try too go too Dallas at least twice a year so he can do repairs/maintance on my unit.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Take another look

Quote:
I bought mine 7 years ago with a bad frame. It is old and nasty but I love it. Looked around at some other brands (SOB's) closely. As a result of the search I increased the amount of money that will be spent on fixing the current one or buying another Airstream.
Depreciation, sales tax and registration excise tax drive me crazy so a pre-owned unit is for me. Maine is number 1 in the nation for taxes.
I second what Andy said about the right dealer for a new unit.
If you are at all handy vintage junk is mighty sweet.

R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:13 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Simple question

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement....one big concern is that we are 3hrs. from the closest dealer in any direction good or bad. I suppose the factory would also be a choice for repairs as it is between 5 and 6 hrs. All those return trips for warranty work sound unpleasant.
It also sounds like there are some years to stay away from re: showers etc. I'm keeping a list. After getting our TV I'll begin the countdown.
You are considering buying an RV to TRAVEL in... what's the big deal about a 3 hour drive to have service done?

Set up your service for Monday, take a 3 day weekend and combine a short camping trip with the service.

Paula - just back from the mothership 650 miles one way (uphill in the snow both ways of course!)
Old 07-10-2007, 08:04 AM   #96
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
[QUOTE=Foiled Again]You are considering buying an RV to TRAVEL in... what's the big deal about a 3 hour drive to have service done?

I guess I was thinking travel would be to and in National Parks, not the middle of Ohio.
I haven't found a trailer that has as nice an interior and living plan as the airstream but it sure sounds like more than a minority of buyers have had problems. The fact that they still use fiberglass insulation combined with expected (first two year) leak problems is a real concern. Once wet, fiberglass batting loses its insulating value. (and a great place for mold to grow). I wonder why they haven't opted for more up to date insulation that would retain it's integrity after it gets wet once or twice. There are options they could use to upgrade the product and solve many concerns.
I'm struggling to justify purchasing one. We really like them, but have trouble overcoming conerns with ongoing service and maintenace issues.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:16 AM   #97
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
[QUOTE=MJBear]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
You are considering buying an RV to TRAVEL in... what's the big deal about a 3 hour drive to have service done?

I guess I was thinking travel would be to and in National Parks, not the middle of Ohio.
I haven't found a trailer that has as nice an interior and living plan as the airstream but it sure sounds like more than a minority of buyers have had problems. The fact that they still use fiberglass insulation combined with expected (first two year) leak problems is a real concern. Once wet, fiberglass batting loses its insulating value. (and a great place for mold to grow). I wonder why they haven't opted for more up to date insulation that would retain it's integrity after it gets wet once or twice. There are options they could use to upgrade the product and solve many concerns.
I'm struggling to justify purchasing one. We really like them, but have trouble overcoming conerns with ongoing service and maintenace issues.
Before you make your decision, I would suggest that you visit the Airstream production facility, and then visit brand X plant as well.

I think after that, you will want to find a good Airstream dealer, and place your order.

If all negatives were to be solved about things such as RV's and cars, no one would ever buy them.

"NOTHING" is perfect, but you have heard from a very small minority of Airstream owners. You have not heard from the vast majority, who will always be supportive of the Airstream products.

But if your expecting absolute perfection in an RV, I would suggest you consider another form of recreation, because there is no such thing, close, but not perfect.

Andy
Andy
Old 07-10-2007, 10:30 AM   #98
_

. , .
Quote:
..."NOTHING" is perfect, but you have heard from a very small minority of Airstream owners. You have not heard from the vast majority, who will always be supportive of the Airstream products....
Andy
well andy,

i generally agree with the 'nothing is perfect' observation...

and that a small % of a/s owners post here....

but that doesn't translate into "vast majority who will always be supportive" non sense...

the 'vast majority' who have issues/problems or are unhappy simply DON'T express their unhappiness.

most folks just settle for poorly built things that wear out,

and they just don't make the effort to complain to the manufacturer/dealer...

airstream's OWN corporate customer surveys suggest...

before buying 'quality' is perceived at the 9-10 level...

but after 6 months of ownership those same customers rate 'quality' at 6...

a significant difference between image/reputation and real owner perception..

you are still breathing that 60s air bud!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:35 AM   #99
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
well andy,

i generally agree with the 'nothing is perfect' observation...

and that a small % of a/s owners post here....

but that doesn't translate into "vast majority who will always be supportive" non sense...

the 'vast majority' who have issues/problems or are unhappy simply DON'T express their unhappiness.

most folks just settle for poorly built things that wear out,

and they just don't make the effort to complain to the manufacturer/dealer...

airstream's OWN corporate customer surveys suggest...

before buying 'quality' is perceived at the 9-10 level...

but after 6 months of ownership those same customers rate 'quality' at 6...

a significant difference between image/reputation and real owner perception..

you are still breathing that 60s air bud!

cheers
2air'
You didn't bust my bubble, but you made it spring a leak.

Maybe some vulkem sealer might fix it?

Andy
Old 07-10-2007, 10:40 AM   #100
_

. , .
Quote:
...Maybe some vulkem sealer might fix it?
Andy
mongo say vulkem is good!

cheers
2air

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote