Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2007, 08:07 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
How long does this go on!

Gunny....I have been reading of your various misfortunes for a year or so now. Ever thought of printing them all out (and some of the remarks from members) and send ing them to AS & maybe to the dealer that made theinteresting pump connection for you? It probably won't get you much other than to pimp them a bit, but what the hey!...pimp em!

Thank God the Corps funtions better than your AS FB!
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:55 PM   #62
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun never stops

I went too Airstream and talked too the CEO who told me "What do you expect, they are made by human" He should have added " we don't stand behind what they build"
If you buy a new Airstream, have plenty of money too repair/replace there WORK!

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:11 PM   #63
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyusmc
PS If I can't post the photo's, I will send them Jant and ask her too post them.
Here ya go don -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0001.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	471.8 KB
ID:	35656   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0002.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	574.6 KB
ID:	35657  

Name:	DSCF0003.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	447.6 KB
ID:	35658   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0004.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	449.5 KB
ID:	35659  

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:14 PM   #64
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
And some more...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0007.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	443.8 KB
ID:	35660   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0009.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	468.0 KB
ID:	35661  

Name:	DSCF0010.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	448.9 KB
ID:	35662   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0011.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	462.7 KB
ID:	35663  

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:42 PM   #65
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun never stops

Thank's for posting the pictures Janet.

Don
Old 04-16-2007, 05:39 PM   #66
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Gunny, what a nice addition to your trailer! The countertops are "rich" looking and the chairs should make for comfortable relaxation! Very nice! When we first got our '97 Excella in 2002 there was a list of 57 things which needed correcting after the first 5000 mile trip. There were no "gimme's" on the list. Everything was a tough item, but I made it thru every item on the list and now the trailer is a real delight to take on the road. I'm sure yours will get settled down soon and you can get to enjoying it. You are certainly doing things to make it enjoyable! Way to hang in there!
Old 04-16-2007, 05:47 PM   #67
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs down

Quote:
I went too Airstream and talked too the CEO who told me "What do you expect, they are made by human" He should have added " we don't stand behind what they build"
If you buy a new Airstream, have plenty of money too repair/replace there WORK!

Don
They do stand behind it, but like Cinderella, when the clock strikes two years, they are pretty much done with you. I'm still pondering a lawsuit. Heck, there are enough of us that spent war bucks on these. My unit has the dreaded form fill corrosion everywhere now. Called Airstream, sent in pictures not only of what they replaced when I was there last, but the new additional areas starting. Took about a month for them to get back to me and the answer I got was to sand down gently and place clear nail polish on it.

It's all over the coach now. Do you know how stupid that would look? Asked if they had any idea why this was happening....dead silence...no repsonse. Even folks that got warranty work done on the shell for this problem, Airstream just covered it up with emblems and trim. This is not what I expected from a $50k retail RV.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:55 PM   #68
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
My unit has the dreaded form fill corrosion everywhere now.....
It's all over the coach now....
not what I expected from a $50k retail RV.
wow twink...

hate to read this.

so much for indoor storage and walbernize, eh?

i don't have the impression you've abused your trailer...

i've got a tiny bit of corrosion on the battery box trim but these pieces aren't alcoa coated.

really that is rotten news...

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:07 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Take the cash

Let a tree drop on it or hail stones. Take the cash fix it up a little and don't worry about the small things because now its' a discount trailer.

If you want something done right do it yourself. Airstream should give an option, two year warranty or cash back, lots of cash!!!!
Old 04-16-2007, 11:39 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Clear Nail polish

Hi, Silvertwinkie. Sorry to hear about your skin problems. Did you ask them at Airstream: "Where can I find clear nail polish in one gallon bottles?"
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:50 PM   #71
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
And some more...
Nice looking rig! Cute dogs too!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:22 AM   #72
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun never stops

Arrived at my dealer yesterday and set up in back lot. The front lot is closed due too new canopy's being installed.
I will get four warrenty issues addressed. They poped up on KY run a few weeks ago. Rained from Austin TX too KY, but cleared for Machine gun shoot.
1. Water leak at front and rear windows
2. Heater duck in bathroom not waoking
3. Thermastate for heater not work
4. Cooling fins inside frig replaced, as old ones are falling out
Then I will be off too Oregon.
I just upgraded my Internet in Motion too high speed. It's not DSL but real close. Makes downloading photo's a snap.
Hope everyone has a good summer with there Airstream. Early summer for me will be Hospital, but Aug is reserved for Yellowstone, Grand Teton and Glashier National Parks. I made resevations last summer.

Don
Old 04-22-2007, 11:45 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
Gunny... this is going to be an expensive trailer isn't it... what is a marine doing in the hospital... don't they heal themselves... just kidding man... sorry bout the problems getting this one right make as many repairs as you can find while its under warrenty ... be good and enjoy the good days as much as the bad ones .. just thought I'd say something funny to chear you up
Dan
Old 04-24-2007, 05:25 AM   #74
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun never stops

Day two at the dealer,it's 6 am and I am getting ready.
Yesterday they repaired the frig, heater and bathroom duct ( for the first time I have heat in the bathroom). Airstream installed a vent that was so long that it hit the adjusent wall which crimped the duct!! cut vent off and air flows.
Today we replace the gaskets on the front and rear windows. My dealer has had enough trouble with these window gaskets leaking that they stock the gaskets. How many years have these windows been used by Airstream, 10, 15 and they can't come up with a better gasket!
It may HAIL here today! All I need, but hopefully it will miss us. If so I should be out of here a day early.

Don
Old 04-24-2007, 04:53 PM   #75
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun never stops

Well day two was a wash out. Rain / Rain / Rain and still raining. Maybe tommorow.

Don
Old 04-25-2007, 03:20 PM   #76
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun never stops

Day three, small hail last night, no damage too trailer. Weather cleared but windy.
All window leaks sealed and unexpected malfunction in bathroom vent switch fixed by noon.
I will roll out in the morning as wind gust up too 60 mph at present.
I also added a Camco plug (Yellow with handle) too my power cord as it had separated.

Don
Old 05-03-2007, 05:58 AM   #77
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Rained from Austin TX too KY, but cleared for Machine gun shoot.
1. Water leak at front and rear windows
It always makes me wonder out loud why new Airstreams leak! I saw photos taken at the factory where new Airstreams are subjected to the "water test" after it is put together. I would think that test would reveal the leaks before the trailer is taken off the assembly line.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:01 AM   #78
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
It always makes me wonder out loud why new Airstreams leak! I saw photos taken at the factory where new Airstreams are subjected to the "water test" after it is put together. I would think that test would reveal the leaks before the trailer is taken off the assembly line.
The aluminum panels will shift slightly during the first couple of trips. You would think they would know this, and put enough sealant in the seams to compensate, but I guess not.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:15 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I have a couple of leaks that are manifesting themselves in the rear wrap window. Service over at JC put the water tester on it to locate the source but each night in real rain and wind conditions it still leaked. Yes I spent a rainy week there fortunately and the last night had tornado watch winds and rain. They had the interior of the rear pretty well pulled apart except for the overhead cabinet. They were to pull that cabinet and decided to hope they got it instead. No biggie to them to have to have me come back and rip it all apart again (and it didn't go back as it was before) if they didn't get it. Customer time, expense, and inconvenience appears not to be a priority.

There was a gentleman there with a brand new 34' slideout unit. He purchased this one when the previous one had a leak so bad he said there were several inches of water on the floor and the insulation was all saturated. He was in for service for a leak in his new new unit.

My friend has a 2007 34' slideout and the slideout leaked.

Of course I had the traditional shower leak as many have, however since I was already there (1st trip in January) I asked them to find where the water was coming from from under the wall and seal it. When I got home I discovered they cracked and punctured the opposite wall they put an extra fastener in. I wanted a replacement but was assured a good fix. Well the fix is not smooth, it's rough and dull and some not even filled with the patch along with additional scratches and dull (rag?) spots near it where there had been no problem. The shower door also has overspray on the painted door frame. However the real insult to the injury is that my vertical shower slide bar for adjusting the height of the sprayer is now hanging loose with a nice size hole where it should be attached.

That's all I care to say for now in regard to leaks, so far. I need to find my happy place.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:52 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Leaks

Well all,

Sure looks like the wrap windows on the FBs are not doing to good as far as keeping the elements out. Ours was new in March 06 and was back at Jackson Center in May 06 to seal her back up. I was told that some of the problem is the front-center solar shield that tilts up causes flexing of the area above the front windows thus opening up the seals/gaskets.

We love our wrapped windows or panos as some call them, but you pay more for them than just the original price.....

Wheel Interested - did they replace all of the seals/gaskets for the rear windows?

John