Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2006, 04:43 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
The bit about obsolete rings true to my way of thinking anyway too.

I do want a subwoofer, I do not want a 12 disc changer, I want to connect my IPod. Can I do that?

I was told you don't have a pick of whether it is Sony or Sharp or whether it is black or silver, it is whatever. Now I don't know how true that is but for a 3200 upgrade I just might care what electronics I am supplied with.

The only other reason I was considering the video upgrade was to have the monitor wired to the DVD player and speakers. What I really want is the wiring in place for audio and video and a radio ready to accept whatever and upgraded speakers period. I was told that is not possible.

I think I can use my portable dvd player (wires exposed of course) and can I use an fm transmitter to hear the dvd out the AS speakers then? IPod boom box or sirrius box seems the way to go for an outdoor speaker.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:22 PM   #122
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
My trailer w/out upgraded A/V came pre wired with one audio (Left/Right) only cable and one Audio/Video cable from the TV jack in the rear to the radio in the front. A tip from this forum told me where to look. There is even pre wiring for the subwoofer with an audio cable, remote trigger and 20A circuit, all set for an aftermarket sub like and Infinity BassLink.

There are also iPod/AUX in options abound for just about any radio. Going aftermarket is the way to go!
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:04 PM   #123
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Having gone through the dance with Airstream 2x and bought one coach that was a special order, I can tell you this...Airstream is far more open now than they were say a year or two ago.

That said, I found that if it's a normal production piece, the odds are very good that they will make a semi-custom work on the line of generally used materials.

For example, the 25' Safari does not come with the 15k BTU A/C unit. However it does come with an A/C unit. For an upcharge, they will put a 15k unit in place of the standard unit while being built on the line.

Same thing with rear tail lights, gotta have them, pick one of the 3 types they have.

Last time, when I was looking for the 25' SS SE, I actually got the OK for the Classic type ultra leather couch for an upcharge.

I can't see why you could not pay the $5k upgrade for the SE package and request the fuzzy material put on instead of bare skin. It is a line production item, however, both times I was asking about custom work, I had a list I gave Airstream and they gave me the thumbs up or down.

In reality though the SE units are fairly costly. At some point, you start to get near the cost of a standard Classic once you start modding the coach out. The 25 SS SE I spec'd out was upwards of $55k retail after I was done with the line production mods. Off hand Colonial Airstream has a 31' Classic Dinette for $54k on model year closeout!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:38 AM   #124
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
Hello all: Thanks for the posts regarding the inverter, and the TV. As it stands now, the inverter switch must be on when ever one ones to watch TV, and its does not matter whether you are running off battery or 110. If you are running off 110, the inverter switch must be on.

As to speakers, we did not purchase exterior speakers with the original a/v upgrade. Why not, who knows, just so use to fire camping. At any rate, what external speakers would one purchase after market. I see there is one external plug in the cabinet, so I assume the wire would have to run from the plug, down the side, thru the bottom of the door and onto a table near the a/s. In retrospect, I wish we would have had the factory external speakers installed, as they were quite inexpensive, as I recall.

Thanks, Robert and Sherry
OpenHigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:26 AM   #125
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Fall Leaves

Yes, Carol -- the 25' SE in fall leaves was taken at Wisconsin's Perrot State Park on our second trip early last October. We got pretty lucky for making an online reservation -- we had the prettiest sugar maple in the park! See: http://www.airforums.com/photo...?i=10142&c=509

Questions are good. Answers? Comme si, comme ça.

(gotta get those pics transferred over to my personal photos -- time, time, time...)

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:01 PM   #126
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I think that sugar maple should be on commission. I can't tell you how many times I have looked at your gorgeous picture outside looking in, wishing I was inside looking out!

Now some solar and inverter questions.

600 watt Inverter
I know I have to use this to watch the tv and that will quickly run down the batteries. But if we are stopped only overnight the car alternater will recharge during the drive next day. I also thought that daisey chained together at an Airstream rally, I can use the inverter and tv without regard to killing the battery since I would have a constant 3amp service as a constant. But what are the uses of the inverter AS is offering as an option?

Solar system
(2) 55 watt panels, each rated to a maximum of 3 amps, will do what for me? I know it won't do a whole lot but will it make a difference?

photography
Old 01-31-2006, 09:33 PM   #127
_

. , .
wheel interested

there are a couple of really good threads with roadkingmoe's crystal clear posts on how to translate solar to battery amps to comverter to tv.......

he doesn't cover what happens when the tv part goes into the human brain....

i think 'the truman show', 'brazil' and 'being there' expose the results pretty well.

i could search these for ya' but wiki research has shown you will retain more, lookin' it up for ones' self.

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:40 PM   #128
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
thanks 2air I will go research again, but from memory I believe he said save your money and buy a generator. I was hoping that someone who has purchased the option might have some observations to share.

photography
Old 01-31-2006, 09:48 PM   #129
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
thanks but from memory I believe he said save your money and buy a generator.
that may be the larger take home message but actually in the details he had posted easily understood (for me anyway) cipher'n on tv draw, solar replacement, the battery as a bucket (big hole; little trickle refillin') hours of test pattern and so on.

for anyone using solar (i have the factory solar/agm) it was pretty easy to do the math...to get in that last few minutes of hee haw classic video.

cheers
2air'
Old 01-31-2006, 10:12 PM   #130
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
to you it was easy to understand...

I would not buy solar for tv. I would get solar to extend boondocking if it would make a marginable difference while still being conservative in battery usage. Driving an SUV we prefer not to carry a generator.

When we have electricity I enjoy all I can. We don't watch a lot of tv or movies, but the news in the morning and viewing our photos is what we might do more. I thought it would be neat to show "home DVDs" on occassion since hubby does such a good job of it. I would like to make a few presentations on the monitor myself. The inverter would be a convenience to power electronic equipment that we use without having to dig out all the 12 volt adapters, or buy them all. Sure I can sit in the car or the washroom to charge my camera batteries or use my laptop once the initial charge is exhausted but sitting at the dinette is comfortable.

As far as my usage I would need a 100' trailer in the sunny desert to carry enough panels to meet my demand.

photography
Old 01-31-2006, 10:29 PM   #131
Forums Sticker Outlaw

Kingston , Surrey
Roadkingmoe was helpful but all wet on the subject of solar versus generator. You get solar because you can have true independence, from the noise & stink of generators, from limited campground "generator hours". I'll be making a nice cup of joe and recharging my iPod while generator folks are waiting for generator hours to come around in the campground or spilling gas on their fingers again...
Bumperstickr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:02 PM   #132
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
what's this and mirror image

What are these?

Also any ideas on how or what or where to mount a full length mirror in a Safari? I was thinking on the inside of the bathroom door. I don't want it to break or get bounced off. Has anyone added one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whatsthis.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	18132  

photography
Old 02-01-2006, 09:15 PM   #133
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Ah one: What are what? You seem to show the roadside front window in the Safari 25' FB without the front pano window. I will assume you ask about the dark panels. These are opposite the pillow/head of bed area for the queen arrangement. Could it be blind panels to receive audio or video upgrades for this area? Anybody else?? There is nothing like this on the 2006 twin-bed version.

An' ah two: I would think you could customize something for a larger mirror on the bathroom door ... or the closet door between the fridge and shower. See attached photos of past Colonial Airstream postings. Only issue would be how to reliably anchor against road vibrations on presumed skin-covered doors.

Thoughts anyone???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7799c.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	18133   Click image for larger version

Name:	7799d.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	18134  

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 02-01-2006, 09:37 PM   #134
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
nice shots

Yes the black panels. Maybe for magazines, or to cover up an "oops?"

Those are nice shots of the interior, also shows the difference between the 15 and 19 inch flat screen. Do you think the 19" has to stick out beyond the wall or is that just in the arm positioning? How mush flexibility do those arms have? Do they only go out and swivel or do they raise or lower too?

photography
Old 02-01-2006, 09:58 PM   #135
_

. , .
w.i.

full length mirrors...

did this on my old unit...one on each closet door facing....purchased at home improvement store.....14-16 x 48 or so...used double stick tape applied to full length and width.....worked great for about 3 years....then slowly pulled loose sliding to the floor during a 90+ week of storage. they didn't break...just slide to the floor. new tape gave 'em another 2 years....

don't need to be full lenght or really very wide..because standing that close you see down and into the mirrors for a biggier image...

if i were to mount them again i'd opt for the industrial velcro product...airstream has this stuff and it can work great...

don't you have a classic? what's with all the safari ? r u switching?

the t.v. mount tills down/up but doesn't move vertically

cheers
2air'
Old 02-01-2006, 10:16 PM   #136
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks 2air. I am surprised the doubleface tape did that well with the hot/cold moist/dry changes of an Airstream. And more surprised that they didn't break! Yes I think a smaller size would be perfect and weigh less, I just have to see if my outfit makes my butt look big. It's really hard to determine as you jump up and down if front of the higher mounted mirrors.

Yeeaah, well...this Airstream thing has grabbed me and I am a goner. I love them all!!! We would like to gain a larger bed and dinette and with camping at state and national parks as we do, we think the panaramic rear window with the two large windows and vistaviews next to it will afford views that will knock us out.

photography
Old 02-15-2006, 06:19 PM   #137
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Storage in 28' SE?

Has anybody seen/toured a 28' SE? We've got a dealer quote for one with everything plus trade-up but I'm reluctant to go much farther without seeing one. I need to know what the internal (wardrobe & closet) and external storage spaces are.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 02-15-2006, 06:49 PM   #138
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hey Silverback -- Good to see you mixin' in the Forums. Colonial Airstream's new inventory photos are as good a quick reference as any. In your browser's Edit menu you can do a "Find" (Ctrl-F) and enter 28 to find any in-stock or sold 28' trailers they've dealt recently. Then it's up to you to click thru the pictures. Looking at this 28' SE I only see outside storage over the rear bumper under the queen bed. I'll throw in this much -- seem to recall a few members excited about getting one of these -- hope they respond.

I've always appreciated your Toyota Tundra angst in the Switching to Diesel thread. I stuck around long enough to see the error of my ways....

Where you been travelin' lately??

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 02-16-2006, 08:39 AM   #139
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
28' SE external storage

Canoe (Bob),
We've poured over those photos on Colonial and it looks like the backend storage area is it for the outside. It still looks like a lot more external storage then the 25' SE FB with the queen bed. I'll be chatting with our dealer this morning and hopefully he has some models on their lot we can tour.

Re diesel tow vehicles, we're getting 12 to 14 MPG towing the 25' CCD. And that's cruising the Rocky Mountain states. I did see a rumor that Toyota will build a diesel Tundra for 07 (when we finally get ULSD fuel?). For now I'm very happy with the Duramax.

Last trip was down to Willcox AZ to check out the Sandhill Crane migration on the playa. Awesome!

Thanks,
KL
Old 02-16-2006, 10:06 PM   #140
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
New Insulation

So, for all you new Airstream experts, what type of insulation do they use in the walls of the new Airstreams? It's certainly very effective, I was curious if anyone knew what it was, how it was applied.
ankornuta is offline   Reply With Quote