RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-01-2006, 06:36 PM   #101
Craftsman

When I bought my 94 25' Classic the PO,s also didn't remove the plastic in the storage areas. I found what I thought was condensation under the plastic and the carpet although new looking in the center had discoloration at the edges.I removed all of the plastic in the storage compartments and just make sure that if any thing dirty goes in that I spread an old towel down to put it on.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:38 PM   #102
_

. , .
hi jack and others

regarding the mwave....yes i forgot the way most dealers handle this item. when mine wasn't working; while i was still at the dealer for delivery.....i came back to find a new one installed. so they had taken care of it.....turns out they had gone over to walmart (6-7 blocks away) and purchased a new one.

there certainly are lots more sharp microwave/small applicance service centers than airstream dealers, so it's nice that taking the unit out is so easy, and applicance center so common.

i'm also glad that walmart stocks the same model.......common is good for some things.

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:15 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Mike -- One of those big foldup plastic mats for under the awning fits in the front compartment nicely. My wife's umbrella chair goes in there and I'm going to replace my large flat folding chair so it doesn't have to go under the dinette. We keep a broom, dustpan, and the awning crank in there too. Curbside I keep wheel chocks and leveler blocks -- also the pipe for cranking my WD arms (you'll see why!). And the mushroom for the bottom of the jack post. Roadside I keep two doormat rugs and two 25' lengths of RV hose. Charcoal somewhere -- but I'd never keep charcoal lighter bouncing around out of sight! I've always appreciated RoadKingMoe's posts -- he started a thread a couple years back but I see his contribution to a more recent one on equipment lists: http://www.airforums.com/forum...bring-3099.htm

Let's go back to Jack's post #98 where he mentions that engaging stabilizer jacks might crimp the door. My front compartment door is tight in the frame. If I'm having trouble with it I have to lower the tongue closer to the ground -- that'll free it up although I wouldn't naturally think that would influence frame flex. What really flexes the frame is engaging the WD bars! I have to have those disengaged to open the front, so I don't leave any gear I might need on the road in the front compartment. The two side compartment doors seem just fine.

Operate the locks with your compartment doors open. Run pretty smooth? Take note of the steel tongue that rotates 90 degrees to engage (blue in the diagram below -- pretty wimpy finger holds, ain't they!?). With my tight compartment frame up front, the tongue was just a bit too long and just before it would go to top dead center it would rub and I often couldn't get the lock all the way up and my key out. It took a little Dremel action, keeping the rounded contour of the tip, and that sure beat a trip to the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lockset.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	17392  

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:20 AM   #104
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Bob,

Quote:
I'm going to be ordering one more rack for the pantry pull out. Your pictures show the 3 current racks well.
I haven't asked yet, but does Airstream supply additional racks for sale? They are probably someone's standard unit that might be purchased elsewhere perhaps.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:47 AM   #105
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
Good day all.

I have a question about the audio video upgrade on the 2006 Safari SE. As everyone knows the new units come with the 19 inch Sony flatscreen. The unit is powered by the 600 watt factory installed inverter when we are boondocking. However, when I am plugged into 30 amp or 110 the TV will not turn on. There is no plug from the TV to plug into a wall, as the unit is hardwired in the A/S itself. The only way the TV will turn on is if I hit the inverter switch located on the wall behind the stove. So.....what is going on? Am I not using the remote properly? Is this normal? I am sure if the TV had a regular plug it would work if plugged into any one of the wall 110 plug outlets, but it doesn't.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Robert and Sherry
OpenHigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:42 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
23' ?

Does anyone know if you can get a Safari SE 23'? We like the new 23' Safari but have an aversion to the fuzzy walls.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:31 PM   #107

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I guess I like the fuzzy walls. One of the questions a few of us have talked about privately was how the walls would hold up over the years with the wear and tear of kids, dogs, bumps and other collisions with interior objects.

I'm sure for the workers at the plant they are a pain. The fuzzy wall hides a multitude of sin that may occur at build time. The other question is cold weather camping. I know the fuzzy brings forth a level of insulation to the wall. I'm wondering how it would be on a cold night sleeping in a bed against the aluminum wall?

But bare walled trailers are sure striking when you walk in them.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:55 PM   #108
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
Does anyone know if you can get a Safari SE 23'? We like the new 23' Safari but have an aversion to the fuzzy walls.

-J
hi dougjamie and others

you can special order almost any unit now (safari/int. lines) with the aluminum wall treatment......i think it's only a 500$ extra charge......

i like the fuzzy walls like jack, but they can hold dirt over time, and it's a mistake to vacumn them in older trailers..... because aluminum dust will get sucked into the material from the rivet holes, resulting in black spots/and lines....

i'd like to see airstream experiment with some other solid, but soft surfaced materials......like a thin cork layer or lacquered cloth weaves or wood/poly gel laminates....they don't need mr. ccd to try some new materials.....and the pergo style floor materials have some great patterns and are very durable...

when the trailers are built there is a clear plastic layer on the skin that is peeled off, hopefully after most of the handling is done....other wise the interior would be more scarred on delivery.

i'm not pretty enough to want to see myself from every angle, all the time, so i'll stick with the fuzzy stuff for now.....

cheers
2air'
Old 01-27-2006, 07:48 PM   #109
Craftsman

I would think the bare aluminum walls would be cold, specially laying in bed touching the sides, and I think the reflections would start to bother me after awhile. I too like the fuzzy lower walls but the aluminum interiors seem to be very popular right now.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:10 PM   #110
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Actually, the walls are not that cold in our 19' ccd. In bed, there is at least a sheet or blanket between me and the interior skin. The problem with the bare alum. walls is that they do condensate.

The only time I seem to notice the reflecting is lying in bed and the display on the radio in the front compartment does this little light show that I find soothing. Sometimes I just turn the stereo off.

What I'd like to see on the 23' is the wrap around front window. They make our 19 seem alot larger with the extra viewing area.

Jonathan
Old 01-27-2006, 08:20 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi dougjamie and others

you can special order almost any unit now (safari/int. lines) with the aluminum wall treatment......i think it's only a 500$ extra charge......

i like the fuzzy walls like jack, but they can hold dirt over time, and it's a mistake to vacumn them in older trailers..... because aluminum dust will get sucked into the material from the rivet holes, resulting in black spots/and lines....

i'd like to see airstream experiment with some other solid, but soft surfaced materials......like a thin cork layer or lacquered cloth weaves or wood/poly gel laminates....they don't need mr. ccd to try some new materials.....and the pergo style floor materials have some great patterns and are very durable...

when the trailers are built there is a clear plastic layer on the skin that is peeled off, hopefully after most of the handling is done....other wise the interior would be more scarred on delivery.

i'm not pretty enough to want to see myself from every angle, all the time, so i'll stick with the fuzzy stuff for now.....

cheers
2air'
I'd rather have the extra insulation and subtle fuzzy walls, can you pay $500 and get the fuzz on the SE so you can have the wrap around and Classic/CCD windows?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:56 AM   #112
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
bare aluminum walls

Not sure where the info came from that Airstream would do the bare aluminum walls on any model. As the GM of an Airstream dealer, any such option would normally come to my attention prior to general announcement. The SE upgrade adds between $4000 and $6000 depending on the length of the trailer. A/S does NOT do ANY custom work on the assembly line. They will do things like ultraleather on the sofa and dinette as that does not change the actual production line effort (ie those items are done off site). The $500 charge that was referred to is a "deviation fee" that A/S charges when a trailer is pulled into the service shop to modifications AFTER it is produced. The actual cost of modifications is time and materials above and beyond the $500 deviation fee. The production line does NOT do any modifications from the spec.

BUT, I will do a check with A/S on Monday and verify this for sure. A/S has been known to make running production line changes and not make it generally known to anyone.

BTW, the 23' IS available in SE trim. I will have one on the lot in late Feb to early March. It was NOT announced as available in SE trim, nor is it listed as an option on the official A/S pricing sheets, but when I inquired, there was NO problem in getting it as an SE.

David Tidmore
GM Roger Williams Airstream
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:10 PM   #113
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I found out today that forest sage is no longer available for new production units. I am crushed.

Also someone said it would cost extra to leave the front panoramic window off? That is still an option and not the spec correct?

photography
Old 01-28-2006, 01:02 PM   #114
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbw
Not sure where the info came from that Airstream would do the bare aluminum walls on any model. As the GM of an Airstream dealer, any such option would normally come to my attention prior to general announcement. The SE upgrade adds between $4000 and $6000 depending on the length of the trailer. A/S does NOT do ANY custom work on the assembly line. They will do things like ultraleather on the sofa and dinette as that does not change the actual production line effort (ie those items are done off site). The $500 charge that was referred to is a "deviation fee" that A/S charges when a trailer is pulled into the service shop to modifications AFTER it is produced. The actual cost of modifications is time and materials above and beyond the $500 deviation fee. The production line does NOT do any modifications from the spec.

David Tidmore
GM Roger Williams Airstream
hi david and others

always good when a vendor posts. pardon me if i disagree a bit....
and this is based on my experience only.

your mileage may vary; void where prohibited and in hawaii.

yes the 500$ is a deviation fee. having watched them do "deviations" this does not involve pulling the trailer from the line....deviations are changes that CAN be completed while ON the line....examples:

full vinyl flooring in a classic
full carpet in a classic
carpet in safari
desk module in place of bunk beds
bunk beds in place of twins
no dinette in a classic 31/34
taller queen bed box in a classic
higher/lower counter tops (higher is easier to do)
more electrical outlets or outlets moved to a different location
more/extra lighting
varied placement for light switches, 12 volt plugs, tv/cable ports.....
full wrap windows front and rear.....

and so on.......these deviations, and others can and are done on the production line....where already utilized materials and modules can be spec'd on the production order and done during regular builds. naturally pricing includes extra materials/time unless offset and each issue needs to be approved on an individual basis...

since the size of the bare aluminum area has been enlarged gradually on many models and this bare wall interior is already being done on the line....it's not really a big deal to do it on most of the bambis/safaris and internationals.....there may be some issue on classics....

i watched them do some of these things on mine and other units, and had some other spec'd issues priced (like bare walls)....before common sense kicked in.....

most buyers aren't willing to ask or pay for these sort of changes....but we would probably call them "customizations" since few of us want to be deviants......well except for me...

also it's extra time for the dealer ordering the unit, with calls, getting it just right AND being assured the buyer.......buys it.

usually custom work that involves the shell or basic structure or business/medical/commercial mods are done off the line and across the street. and these things are not available on a regular/retail customer dealer order. for example we can't order a trailer finished with everything but an interior.....however a small business/solo business can work up a specific interior/exterior design......and pay extra (and msrp on the base) like the diner units/oxygen bars/photo labs/audiology units and others.

and yes carol, leaving things OFF is a deviation so the deviation fee applies....

cheers
2air'
Old 01-28-2006, 01:44 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Front Window Correction

2air' and Carol,

Going back to Carol's more firm expression of interest in the Love our '06 Safari FB SE thread, she is asking about the 25' FB. The SE pano that is standard with this unit is installed at the rear over the dinette - significantly great in more ways than one IMEOO (in my exalted and overblown opinion). The standard 25' FB SE front window is normal Safari-sized (but being an SE is full-flying and hinged from the top).

Getting a front pano is actually an option -- $1059 at the time we ordered last July. Lessee, with the spring prices out now that'd be -- who knows? Approaching $2000 yet? So there would not be any change-order costs involved with either front window setup.

Carol -- I recall your PM asking if we'd have our trailer at International (we won't). You've been interested in these quite a while! Best of luck.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:59 PM   #116
Craftsman

I asked for a stacked window on the 34 Classic to the left of the door where normally a non opening window would be installed and Airstream would do it for the $500.00 plus cost of stacked window. I would have had to sign off on any potential damage caused by opening the door into an open window, but they were willing to do it. That would have been done on line
Old 01-28-2006, 02:20 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
fuzz vs. aluminum

Thanks, everyone, for your views on the fuzzy walls and aluminum. I can understand the pros of having fuzzy walls and I do like the light, warm color and insulating properties. But whenever I see them I can't help picturing them after my 4-year-old has touched them with hands covered in (choose one or all) maple syrup, catsup & mustard, bacon grease, cheez doodle dust, popsicle, yogurt, chocolate, blueberries, dirt pie, and/or spaghetti sauce . Have any of you matched your fuzzy walls up to any 4-year-old Hurricane Hannah contenders yet? Do they really clean up that well?

On the other hand, from a mom's perspective, I can see the aluminum cleaning up with a little spray 'n' shine.

dtbw -- I'd love to hear more about that 23' SE when you have more info. to share.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:21 PM   #118
_

. , .
craftsman

i considered that option too, till i remembered the wind helping me open the door years ago......and really any time one swings the door over to the open/latched position.....

it really would be a glass breaker.....and with 2 stacked windows on that side and a screen door.....

canoe stream.....thanks for the clarification....i didn't realize the window was already on the options list...no deviation fee for listed options....

doug.......
clean up is an issue and there is great potential for dirt, grease, food and other 'artwork' to be imbedded into the fuzzy base. i have a couple of hand prints on mine from me or the service guys.....any further attempt to remove it would likely damage the adhesion.....

i agree something else would be in order.......even the padded vinyl ceiling material would clean up better.....it you are ordering a unit and willing to pay for it, pursue some other covering......the key (to me) is it must be something the factory is already using, so that they already know installation issues.

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	window door issue.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	17977  
Old 01-29-2006, 01:06 AM   #119
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenHigher
Good day all.

I have a question about the audio video upgrade on the 2006 Safari SE. As everyone knows the new units come with the 19 inch Sony flatscreen. The unit is powered by the 600 watt factory installed inverter when we are boondocking. However, when I am plugged into 30 amp or 110 the TV will not turn on. There is no plug from the TV to plug into a wall, as the unit is hardwired in the A/S itself. The only way the TV will turn on is if I hit the inverter switch located on the wall behind the stove. So.....what is going on? Am I not using the remote properly? Is this normal? I am sure if the TV had a regular plug it would work if plugged into any one of the wall 110 plug outlets, but it doesn't.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Robert and Sherry
Good day!

I would also like to find out more about the audio/video packages.

Does the cord that is hard wired into the Airstream detach from the back of the monitor? Perhaps you have only to buy another cord to plug it into the outlet? Is there a reason you do not want to turn on the inverter while you are connected to shore power? Can these monitors be run without shore power or an inverter, i.e. a 12volt adapter cord? Can you use the Sony as a computer display?

2air , aha! I am not a deviant wanting to drop the front wrap. But you are right customization sounds a lot less judgemental than deviation. Nice rig you have there, pretttty sweeeet.

Bob, thanks for the info. Yes I am still pining after that floor plan. I still have so many questions. Don't be surprised if I don't pm you again. Is that your picture I am looking at of the AS backed up into the fall foilage? Gorgeous. What wonderful views that rear "observatory" would allow. I think my poor hubby gets tired of trying to hide the car from my view as I try to peer through the front wrap and see nothing but nature. The rear panoramic window makes so much sense for the kind of places we like to camp.

photography
Old 01-29-2006, 01:39 PM   #120
_

. , .
open higher and wheel interested

the 19 sony can be used as a computer monitor, or to view dig camera images still or video. it is a dc unit like most of these lcd tvs but....but they aren't all 12v....and normally/always they do come with an ac cord plug and an factory inverter..... inline.....like laptops. the sony does have a on/off switch that needs to be on before the remote will work....

don't forget on the a/s to turn on/off the antenna boost switch....located right by the 12v outlet/cable port....

it is almost never dollar wise to buy the factory av upgrade......despite airstreams efforts to get jiggity with what the av bits. their components are usually obsolete by the time they are into the trailer production. even "airstream one" the high tech sony supplied multimedia trailer shown last year has old stuff now....less than a year out.

you can purchase the 19 wega sony (i did; it's a nice tv) and a simple ac/dc power inverter rated for the tv for much less money.....tv~~850$ now; ac/dc adapter<50$.

the tv warranty is from sony anyway, not a/s and buying the tv from circuit city allows one to purchase an extended warranty if so inclined....

and the power inverter can be used with other things (laptop, battery chargers, etc...) but these thing suck the 12v system down quickly....

cheers
2air'