RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-20-2005, 02:34 PM   #41
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Well, I off and did it!

I just started the hunt to look at the new 25' SS SE in a more serious light. I've sent an email to Airstream with some questions. If the answers come out good, the price is in the range, looks like we'll be moving to a 2006 this year.
I think you are just trying to catch up to me as a "frequent trader"!

Seriously, the Safari SE is the frist Safari that I would seriously consider. To me, the wraparound windows and the fully opening windows are "Airstream" and nothing less will do for me. The Safari "furniture" tempers the bare aluminum walls to the point that I really like the SE and don't feel like I'm in a 50s diner when I step inside.

I like the front bedroom with the wraparound windows. I had that in the 22' International AS and it made for a really pleasant bedroom area for daytime lounging and sleeping opened up to the night breezes. I liked the privacy of the tinted glass in the daytime; I would sit on the edge of the bed and work on my laptop on the night table while watching the activity outside.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 03:01 PM   #42
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It you'd have asked me 5 years ago, that I'd have owned one Airstream, let alone two and possibly a third, I would have said fat chance!

The long and short of it is that I fully agree, the SE is the Safari done right. No Airstream should be produced without the trademark Airstream parts...windows being one of them. Now the alum skin interior I could do give or take, but it's something I can live with, it's actually kind of grown on me. I also like the interior mini spot lights that you can't easily get with the foam pad ceilings of the rest of the "fleet".

I am particularly fond of the 25' floorplan. I like that it's got some open space to walk around an occupied kitchen area. The head has some issues, but in the end being under 6' tall, it works for "roughing it". I seriously considered the 28' because I liked the bed in back, but the hall space is really tight and I dislike that heat vent in the floor on the non Classics. Additionally, I like how the 25' SS has very ample wardrobe space. Plus the fact that I still don't see the 28' coach as an SE made the choice even easier.

The funny thing is that back in 4th quarter of 2003, I point blank asked Airstream to custom the current Safari I had. I mostly just wanted the windows (or at least the back window to be CCD style) since the CCD SS was the exact same coach, as the Safari SS except for the Euro interior. I was told I'd have to buy a CCD or Classic for those windows. About 8-12 months later, the Special Edition comes out.....and I didn't get any royalties on the idea either nor a discount on the coach!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 11:06 AM   #43
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
twink.

My head is spinning!!! Are you talking with the same folks that you bought from before?

I am now living my life through you...

Kepp us posted.

Jonathan
Old 08-21-2005, 12:50 PM   #44
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
twink.

My head is spinning!!! Are you talking with the same folks that you bought from before?

I am now living my life through you...

Kepp us posted.

Jonathan

Want a 2004 25' Safari?
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 08-29-2005, 07:10 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Bambi SE

We're looking at the Bambi 19' SE and so far have only seen it in pictures. Can't seem to find one close enough to us to go take a look. Can anyone tell me what that is on the wall over the seat in the dinette in this picture? -- the thing that looks like a big black etch-a-sketch on the wall. Can't imagine what they might have put there.

-J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7780f.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	14311  
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 07:16 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Only a guess but could it be a plasma TV??
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:43 PM   #47
_

. , .
nothing special just a tv.....

well i think i may have seen one of these on the line last week (i'll have to go thought the 400+ photos) and that was an lcd tv on the wall mount/extending wall bracket thingy....i think it was held fast to the wall with long velco straps right and left.....and when we loosened them the tv extended away from the wall and would swing toward the dinette or toward the mid coach area....

and twinkie, i know you don't care for the hehr (? spelling) windows that are standard on the safari......and i agree they aren't as nice or functional as the classic windows.....but airstream has used that same brand as a stock window as far back as the 60s and they also currently use them on the big new class a moho....so they do have a very long tradition with airstream....also since many other manufacturers use them they are easier to find as a replacement item should that be an issue.

althought if getting the right windows is part of the reason to get a new coach.......well you go for it! i just love knowing people are buying the new stuff!! but 3 new coaches in 4 years? i suggest just getting a big classic now and be done with it......there are lots of other touches; upgrades and so on that add to the classic value in my view....

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:55 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Colonial Airstream is hard to beat for the widest variety of pictures available. Their pics of a sold 2006 Bambi SE doesn't show your 'object.' They do have incoming Bambi SE trailers on approx 9/05 and 10/05.

This 2006 25' Safari FB SE does have a TV for comparison. 2airishuman might have a point. Your object seems rippled -- dunno, can't make it out completely I guess.

[I have no association with the business named above.]

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:21 PM   #49
_

. , .
not to plug another dealer......

but
1.877.airhog1
has a great set of pictures and more examples of models than most sites i've checked.....plus there site design is cool...........all of those rivets.....

not exactly the same as the picture here in question, but here is a dark framed lcd tv that looks pretty close....i think the velcro was different on the new one at the factory....

http://www.airstreamofarkansas.com/inventory_new.cfm

well the link doesn't go exactly to the photo i wanted.....look at the pics of the safari 25 fb (front bed) and there is a pic of the tv in question....

anyway, if you're looking for a more cental usa location for pictures or lots on stock on hand this is a nice dealer to consider. i placed my order with them and they are great to work with and have be since delivery too.

www.airstreamofarkansas.com highly recommended....

say high to gene and tell'm dr. joe sent ya!!!

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:04 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
We're looking at the Bambi 19' SE and so far have only seen it in pictures. Can't seem to find one close enough to us to go take a look. Can anyone tell me what that is on the wall over the seat in the dinette in this picture? -- the thing that looks like a big black etch-a-sketch on the wall. Can't imagine what they might have put there.

-J
I think what you're looking at there is a "net" magazine holder. We had 2 of these in over the foot of the bed in our 04 16' Bambie. The snaps are what seem to give it away.--pieman----
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:56 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I thought it was a TV too, but it looked so close to the wall that it almost looks set into it and I wouldn't think you'd have something like that set into the aluminum. If it's just something attached really close, like a magazine net, that makes a little more sense.

2airishuman -- The TV I saw in the picture you suggested had a silver frame. Is that the one you meant? You could clearly see the arm on that one.

Canoe stream -- I got my picture from Colonial Airstream. That's where I do all my online Airstream "shopping." The site is even better than Airstream for photos. I wish they were a little closer to me. I contacted New Hampshire Airstream, only about 40 minutes away from us, and they don't have any plans to bring in a Bambi SE right now. Seems they have several others on the lot, mostly 16', that they need to move before they bring more in. So maybe we'll end up at Colonial Airstream anyway. I really would like to see one in person before making the decision.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 08-30-2005, 08:56 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Disc Brakes on Safari or International

For the record, disc brakes have been standard on all new Classics built since early Feb of this year.

As for the Safari and Internationals, the factory will NOT install disc brakes during production. They won't even roll it into the service shop at JC and retrofit them immediately after production as they have no mechanism for the service shop work to be billed to a dealer (only an end customer). So, per Airstream engineering, if you want the A/S sanctioned disc brake system on a Safari or International, you will have to have them installed after delivery at either your dealership (assuming they are qualified) or take it back to the factory.

Here at our dealership we have installed this system on everything from a 67 Caravel, to a 34 Classic, and the models between in age and length. It is not rocket science, but it is not an afternoon DIY project either.

David Tidmore
GM Roger Williams Airstream
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:08 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
28 Safari SE

Straight from JC, the 28SE will be officially shown for the first time at the Louisville RV show the first week in Dec. A small number of the 28SEs will be built along with the "show" model for those dealers that put requests in early in the game, so expect to see some pics in late Nov (anticipated). Official production will begin around the end of the year although that can change either way as the situation and production schedule dictates.

BTW, leadtime for new units from A/S is now running between 10 & 12 weeks. Demand is high and that is a good thing!

David Tidmore
GM Roger Williams Airstream
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 07:42 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Thumbs up 'Employee Pricing'

David -- I really wonder what impact the fuel prices will have on the Airstream market. But then there are people like me who have deferred and earned rewards, for whom that is but one more factor in the equation. No, I don't think there will be any employee priced sales soon... That being said, looking online one can't help but see a lot of 2005 units for sale. (How many employees at JC really buy their product??)

We ordered our unit on July 9th; the salesperson put it together for Jackson Center on Monday, July 11th. We got the call exactly 6 weeks later, on August 22nd, that it was at the dealership in northeast Iowa (not exactly a long drive from Ohio).

If the order lead times are increasing, I would speculate that many individuals and dealers are thinking that now is the time to make their purchase or increase inventory before winter comes along. Thoughts?

Which only makes me hope that they were a little less pressured to put mine together and that quality might be a bit above some things we hear reported.... Thanks for the "inside" word anyway -- keep it up!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 09-17-2005, 10:40 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Wink Positive experience so far!

We've had the new 25' FB SE for just over a week now. I lament that it has now passed 50% of its new life in a storage garage... Get used to it baby!

I totally love the open airy feeling in the rear living space in the trailer. The basic 25' FB SE window arrangement has the panoramic windows aft over the dinette. Two vista views are roadside above two windows behind the couch. We did order the optional front panoramic window -- my invoice says a $700 price from our dealer (seat of pants recall at it being retail priced just over $1000). I believe there was a brief offering of front and back panoramics ... was it on a model back in the 70's?

I totally love the security of the front hinged non-suicide door, though it'd be hard to get that wrong when they're putting deadbolts on trailers these days.

The outside shower is RV generic with a very lightweight plastic door. It's not likely to be left unlocked when you pull away but would probably be pulled off the first time. I washed up with it once. There wil be a useful item for us, with the dogs and all. Nope -- never had a fantasy of preserving it pet-free (tho' I'd state that on eBay!!!).

Storage? Wow! This takes a leap from our Argosy and anything at 22' or below. There is one small tall wardrobe, one shirt length wardrobe, then lots and lots of bins. The news here is outside-access storage compartments. We have the twin bed configuration. There is a 5' wide compartment right over the batteries, a 30" long compartment curbside front with access to the water heater bypass valves, and a 50" long compartment roadside front (doors for side compartments are approx 24" wide, front compartment approx 48" wide).

What is the outside storage compartment setup in the queen bed version? Anybody? I'd imagine it is one on front roadside only and constrained by the position of water heater just as on my trailer... If there are any outside back compartments, they would only take space away from where I have bins inside.

I've got more to add and will also post on the 2006 quality thread. Haven't taken many pictures yet -- tried to take an Iowa round hay bale & cornfield Airstream picture but fumbled on dig cam ops with traffic coming... Fogdall's did a good job and were glad to see this model! They knew I'd done my research -- just hadn't figured it out for themselves yet.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 09-17-2005, 10:59 AM   #56
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Spoke with Airstream last week. There is a current 8-10 week lead time as of that conversation.

Twinks making a list and checking it twice.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:30 PM   #57
1 Rivet Member

Safari 25' SE

I'm glad they are expanding the Special Edition line with more models - it will be interesting to see if they go up in size. Like a 30 footer.

One thing we like about our 25' SE is the floorplan, there is room between the sofa and dinette for a large dog bed, without taking up a lot of walking space in the main walkway coming in the door and down the hall of the trailer. I also was able to fit a large dog soft sized dog crate in that space. Right now our old golden is so well behaved we don't need one, but in the future with a younger dog, I hesitate to leave them alone in that trailer without being contained.

One of the reasons we picked this unit was storage, it has two really nice wardrobes which allows us to use one for clothes and then the other for a hamper, broom, etc. Also the space under the bed is very long and fits my musical instruments well - and I always travel with a few. It fits one banjo and one mountain dulcimer easily. The kitchen pantry is nice and I cook a lot in the kitchen and find it is really nice. I love the double sink one for washing one for drying.

the FB came out after we got ours, and I think it looks like a great trailer. I think you give up some floor space though, and wardrobe space, but you get a better bathroom arrangement. Also the bed setup is nice. Our bathroom is fine as far as the shower, I absolutely love the vanity, but the toilet is tight as far as knee space. We end up using the curtain a lot to close off the bedroom when we use the potty as opposed to sitting in there with the door closed.

Of course littler people wouldn't have much of a problem, we're not exactly petite.

If I got the FB I'd get the two sets of wrap around windows, for sure, that is pretty neat.
Barbara
25' Safari Special Edition
2005 big dodge truck
red2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 10:46 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
Hi all! Wow, those wrap windows on front and rear really look great. Sherry and I just ordered our first Airstream. We have been camping together for 25 years, and this will be our third camper together. The first two were trucks with campers, the first being a shell, and the second an old Vacationeer.

Anyway, we purchased the 28' 2006 Safari LS SE with all the upgrades audio/video street side awning, etc. and can't wait for delivery, they say in mid to late Dec 05. Dealer didn't know, nor did we, about windows on both ends. We are excited, and glad to be meeting new folks.

Robert and Sherry
OpenHigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:54 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Robert & Sherry -- The 25' FB does not have a logical way to use either the allocated panoramic window or the 2 Vista Views at the front. Therefore they place the pano window at the back where the dinette is located. Since aft is the main living space I really like how they put the Vista Views roadside over the two couch windows. The shades are nice on the Vista Views since they do really collect the heat later in the day! I don't think the 28' SE would have any way to do the double-ended panoramic windows. What sold me anyway was the simplicity of the Safari cabinets and the top-hinged windows -- I have the latter on our Argosy and the ventilation is super.

I first walked through a 2005 25' FB (with the horrible suicide door) with a skylight -- talk about hot -- the infrared heat from walking near it was too much, even with the shade closed. The stock 25' FB has a single Safari-type front window only. Two ended panoramics just seemed too good an opportunity to pass up. I know an early '70's model of Argosy (Minuet?) had a rear door, rear bath, front gaucho bed -- seemed like a nice party trailer! I think it was an actual Airstream model that offered double ended pano windows back then -- so much a rarity that I'm not going to go searching threads for it.

Barbara -- We got the two twins so we'd get just a touch more space up front -- the queen layout choked the entire trailer front. Besides, now I get to go with buddies trout fishing, etc, etc! So far our corgi uses a little bed at the front between the twins and our large Airedale has a beanbag bed under the dinette -- which only works if it is no more than Susie & me along on a trip.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 09-24-2005, 10:04 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
16' Se?

Does anybody know if it's possible to get the 16' Bambi Safari with the aluminum interior instead of the fuzzy walls, and the Safari styling instead of the CCD upholstery and cabinets? In other words, a 16' Safari SE? -J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650