RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-19-2005, 09:50 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Indeed! Great news today!! This is very exciting. Gotta love that airy living space. I would think Airstream will have the whole Safari line figured out by late fall as they get ready for the winter travel shows and spring deliveries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Yes, wonder what will come out of the recent inquiry (can't find the thread) -- was it 'thenewkid'? -- asking for feedback on a stylish clean throwback to an interior with wood veneers, more like the early-60's style.
What is yet to come? Here is Brett's thread on a potential retro look to come: Your opinion is needed!!

Keep posting what you hear on the Safari SE line!!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 09:53 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I must again express my appreciation to Colonial Airstream in New Jersey for a very informative website and thanks to 'NeatAirstream' for looking in here. The photos of the dual-end pano windows does wonders! Karma to-go!!

(Eric 'Silvertwinkie' -- is this one or two posts? Comin' to getcha!!)

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 07-20-2005, 12:48 AM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
I must again express my appreciation to Colonial Airstream in New Jersey for a very informative website and thanks to 'NeatAirstream' for looking in here. The photos of the dual-end pano windows does wonders! Karma to-go!!

(Eric 'Silvertwinkie' -- is this one or two posts? Comin' to getcha!!)

I'm starting to get the trade in bug. The latest is a new 2006 25' SS SE with of course some twink specs.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:11 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Sarnia , Ontario
On the 2006 Safari SE SS, is there an option for Disc Brakes and what might it cost for the upgrade?
Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:45 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
My new Airstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeatAirstream
Photos Later today. The link is 2006 25' Safari FB SE
My first post here. Just wanted to say....I just bought THIS Airstream! It's our first. I LOVED the windows. I don't really know much at all about Airstreams. What do I need to know? I'll probably have a bunch of questions.
Thanks,

Jim
jimlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 10:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi 'Thrift' -- Aren't disc brakes a feature available for Classics? I think you'd have to have a dealer inquire at Jackson Center about whether that option would be available down at the Safari level. They are rather mixed about what they will and won't allow -- then there's always that "$500 for any variations" line on the purchase order that they may or may not enact. Definitely dealer territory...

Welcome Jim! You bought Colonial's 25' FB SE or a similar one closer to you? You did say "I just bought THIS Airstream!" Good for you in any case -- nice unit if I may say so since we should be under a month on getting the very same. Argosy owners know that the panoramic windows were first an experiment in the Argosy line -- hard to get over that point of pride!!

I trust you've been lurking and studying. It strikes me how threads change over time -- their used to be much more concentration on brake controllers, weight distribution, anti-sway and other in-depth general topics. That may be a function of very knowledgeable people sharing their experience a number of times, then the 'Search' function continuing to make it available to all. Look for checklists, etc. Welcome again -- and chime in often!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 08-18-2005, 10:38 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Jim -- What follows is a partly tongue-in-cheek checklist from BobbyW in the Seinfeld thread -- so don't get too shaken up about what you'll eventually master. You're going to have to winterize before you want to, then what else is there but to plumb the depths of ASForums!! (keep your baby off salty roads!)

" OK...OK I won't do it. You people have convinced me.
From now on I will always....

* Use Vulkem/ParBond/Sikaflex to seal, never Silicon,
* Use Nuvite and a Cyclo polisher to polish,
* Install Fantastic Fans,
* Pull with a properly equipped 1 ton supercharged diesel 4X4 dually crew-cab rig, instead of my CAN-AM Yugo,
* Balance my wheel assemblies,
* Plumb with PEX,
* Install Pergo flooring,
* Order and read an owners manual from Helen Davis @ Secretarial Services at: (937) 492-8885,
* Paint the interior with Zolatone,
* Install and shave Olympic rivets,
* Install a rock shield on the front,
* Walbernize my exterior,
* POR-15 coat my hitch,
* Replace my batteries and keep them charged,
* Install a solar panel(s),
* Not attach anything to my rear bumper,
* Quit trying to figure out how to install a Gray-water tank,
* Update my LPG regulators
* Use ST Goodyear/Cooper/Continental D rated tires and 2600lb+ trailer wheels,
* Install new full brake assemblies, instead of repair the old ones,
* Install OEM Gabrial Shocks, not NAPA automotive,
* Never put a jack on the Duraflex axle,
* Only use ZipDee awnings,
* Clean and inspect my A/C unit annually,
* I will bring/not bring children to the Rallies,
* Use a dremel tool for everything, on everything, that won't move,
* If it will not come loose with the proper tool, I will "heat & beat" it into submission,
* Winterize the plumbing before the first thaw,
* Keep my Black Water tank at least 1/3 full,
* Not use excessive HTML, colors, punctuation and all CAPS when posting to the Forums,
* Quit adding things to this post,
* Finish my current restoration, instead of hanging out here all the time, posting silly stuff like this...

-BobbyW
Posting from AirStream Bizarro World, were everything is opposite!
And still wasting time adding things to this post...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 08-18-2005, 11:05 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
That exact one

Quote:
Welcome Jim! You bought Colonial's 25' FB SE or a similar one closer to you? You did say "I just bought THIS Airstream!" Good for you in any case -- nice unit if I may say so since we should be under a month on getting the very same. Argosy owners know that the panoramic windows were first an experiment in the Argosy line -- hard to get over that point of pride!!

I trust you've been lurking and studying. It strikes me how threads change over time -- their used to be much more concentration on brake controllers, weight distribution, anti-sway and other in-depth general topics. That may be a function of very knowledgeable people sharing their experience a number of times, then the 'Search' function continuing to make it available to all. Look for checklists, etc. Welcome again -- and chime in often!
That's the one I bought, over the phone, today. Only thing I would have liked is a microwave. This doesn't have one. Guess I'll have to figure out how to "stap one down". I have NOT been studying and lurking. I just found this forum tonight (after I purchased). David (sales guy) not really recommended, but almost insisted on a Reese 800 straight-line hitch. Is that really necessary? I'll be towing with my Ford F250 (diesel). He said it's about $800 installed. Online, looks like they go for about $430. Curious why you ordered yours and not bought this one. Was it not available when you ordered? I'm wondering also about generators, where I need to go to dump black/grey water, can I fill the fresh water from something other than a hose, does a hose come with it, what other things do I "need" to get, etc. etc. etc.??? But, I'll try to click around and gleen some of that from these forums.

THANKS for the welcome.

Jim
Old 08-18-2005, 11:36 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Our first AS was a 1988 Excella 29 with the wrap around windows on both ends. It was a great trailer and very easy on the eye. 2 AS later I wish I has kept the 29.
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 12:20 AM   #30
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I'm waiting for the 30' to be offered in the SE model before I order ours! I bought a new F-250 Power Stroke to pull it with in April and saw the SE and had to wait to see if the 30' would be offered. I wrote AS and got a response to contact them in July to find out a time frame for its offering so I'm waiting to find out when that will be. I'm getting antsie to find out when it will be offered. I'm hoping the wrap-around window will be intergrated into the front bedroom of the 30'. That really makes it look like an Airstream.

I got a response from Airstream that the 28' SE will be released in less than a month and according to Colonial's web site, they have one on order. According to the response I got, the 30' SE will be offered in about 4 months. That would be about December or January. That is later than I had hoped, but here in Georgia our camping season will come early so we will be able to start using it in late February or early March. Maybe even earlier than Feb. Anyway, everybody here on the Forum has said that the best time to get one built is in February since the factory is running slower at that time of year. Hope that will be true in '06!

Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:51 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlegs
That's the one I bought, over the phone, today. Only thing I would have liked is a microwave. This doesn't have one. Guess I'll have to figure out how to "stap one down". THANKS for the welcome.

Jim
Jim......Congrats on your looming purchase........we purchased our 28' CCD on the lot with an oven......and knowing we would never use it..........replaced our oven with a convection/microwave by the service dept before we took possession. This can be negotiated....but cost us an additional $500 (well worth it to us). Some folks have negotiated the change at no additional cost, but takes some special framing to replace it below the stovetop (not an easy changeout). So you might call to see if this can be added. BTW......this is our second AS, and we love our Microwave/Convection oven......it is truely a versatile alternative to the oven!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:14 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlegs
My first post here. Just wanted to say....I just bought THIS Airstream! It's our first. I LOVED the windows. I don't really know much at all about Airstreams. What do I need to know? I'll probably have a bunch of questions. Thanks, Jim
Hi Jim:

Congratulations on your purchase of a 2006 25' Safari FB SE, a beautiful and lustworthy trailer. For numerous quick, thorough & experienced answers to your many questions, please join the Denver Unit of the WBCCI at one of our next two Rallies: Sept. 8-11 at "Old Thresher Days" in Yuma, Colorado, or Oct. 6-9 at Chatfield Resevoir in southwest Denver. Details are here under Upcoming Events:

http://www.wbcci-denco.org/

Many of us have seen and drooled over your model trailer. Collectively, we can give you decades of hints and tips on Airstreaming. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:20 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Thanks for the invite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Hi Jim:

Congratulations on your purchase of a 2006 25' Safari FB SE, a beautiful and lustworthy trailer. For numerous quick, thorough & experienced answers to your many questions, please join the Denver Unit of the WBCCI at one of our next two Rallies: Sept. 8-11 at "Old Thresher Days" in Yuma, Colorado, or Oct. 6-9 at Chatfield Resevoir in southwest Denver. Details are here under Upcoming Events:

http://www.wbcci-denco.org/

Many of us have seen and drooled over your model trailer. Collectively, we can give you decades of hints and tips on Airstreaming. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Well, I'm hoping to be getting back from picking up my trailer on those Sept. dates, and the Oct. dates I can't make either. I briefly checked out your link. Looks like there are a number of "events". I may try to make one.

Jim
Old 08-19-2005, 08:23 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
oven vs. Convection/MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
Jim......Congrats on your looming purchase........we purchased our 28' CCD on the lot with an oven......and knowing we would never use it..........replaced our oven with a convection/microwave by the service dept before we took possession. This can be negotiated....but cost us an additional $500 (well worth it to us). Some folks have negotiated the change at no additional cost, but takes some special framing to replace it below the stovetop (not an easy changeout). So you might call to see if this can be added. BTW......this is our second AS, and we love our Microwave/Convection oven......it is truely a versatile alternative to the oven!
Yeah, they would give me the $500 option, but I was a bit concerned that it would change the trailer before I even got it. I'm sure it would cost more to do it later. On the fence. I've never used a MW/Conv oven. What's the range top look like (it would have to be swapped out too, I believe)?

Jim
Old 08-19-2005, 11:37 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Minnie's Mate (Mickey?) -- Good information! I'd only heard generalities about when the rest of the Safari line would be offered with the SE treatment. Regarding production pressures I really wonder what the price of oil is doing to the total number of units being ordered. Guess I'll have a better sense when I see when my unit runs down the production line (5 weeks since the order with only vague estimates of delivery -- maybe shortly after Labor Day).

jimlegs -- Oh my! Where to start? This almost belongs in a "greatest hits" thread, not one about the Safari Special Editions...

The best thread on equipment is from the respected RoadKingMoe, New Trailer Shopping List. Don't go out and purchase everything on the list -- just get an idea of when you will be near Camping World stores on your trip back west! Dump stations? -- commercial campgrounds of course. There is a website somewhere... It is very tough on a unit to travel long distances with full water, black and grey tanks. Water is heavy -- try to travel without a third of a ton of it -- it's tough on frame, running gear, tow vehicle, etc. Don't test your breakaway switch with the umbilical attached to the tow vehicle -- you may fry your brake controller (Prodigy brand at least). Yes, you need antisway and load distribution, even with an F-250. Reese's Dual Cam system is better than the cheaper friction models that change effectiveness with time, moisture and just about any other variable.

Regarding my purchase, I had done some regional dealer research and begun to move in that direction before I noticed the always-informative Colonial website having one due for delivery around July 4th. I'm sure they were hopeful and did email me about when their pictures were going to be online. You've got an awesome unit!! Good taste in interior colors too if I must say -- . How and when are you going to pick it up?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 08-19-2005, 11:57 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
The stove top is the same (3 burners) with the MW/Convection after the changeout (I believe they changed the stovetop out also). The Convection oven grills, broils, browns, bakes, plus all the regular microwave duties. It's nice to be able to use if the weather is nasty outside preventing outdoor grilling. Among our favorite uses are that it actually grills great hamburgers and roasts cornish game hens. If you prefer to boondock, the gas oven is probably the way to go, since you would need a generator to run the MW/C.
It took us awhile to learn how to use the MW/C oven, but they have a great little book with food charts and settings for each item. The pushbutton menus on the front panel are helpful and run you through a program to figure out your settings.
If you think you would miss your microwave........this is definitely the way to go!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:27 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Search function rocks!

There was a recent thread I'd intended to pass on. Using only the words 'convection microwave' I found it easily. When you use Search note the section for 'Similar Threads' at the far bottom of the page. Many folks' take on the topic: Thinking about replacing oven with microwave

We opted for the convection microwave and have a Honda EU2000i to power it when boondocking. Jim, never turn on the air conditioning unless you are connected to a true 30A circuit -- you'll burn out the compressor if you buy an adaptor and plug it into a regular grounded plug.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 08-20-2005, 09:11 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
The best thread on equipment is from the respected RoadKingMoe, New Trailer Shopping List. Don't go out and purchase everything on the list -- just get an idea of when you will be near Camping World stores on your trip back west! ... Don't test your breakaway switch with the umbilical attached to the tow vehicle -- you may fry your brake controller (Prodigy brand at least).
I have that list in a Word document now. I wish I could get an online owner's manual. There's a LOT to know. Could you explain what you mean by that last sentence? I know I need a brake controller installed on my truck. Maybe we should start a new thread? THANKS.

Jim
Old 08-20-2005, 09:17 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
There was a recent thread I'd intended to pass on. Using only the words 'convection microwave' I found it easily. When you use Search note the section for 'Similar Threads' at the far bottom of the page. Many folks' take on the topic: Thinking about replacing oven with microwave

We opted for the convection microwave and have a Honda EU2000i to power it when boondocking. Jim, never turn on the air conditioning unless you are connected to a true 30A circuit -- you'll burn out the compressor if you buy an adaptor and plug it into a regular grounded plug.
GREAT info. I'll check out that thread next. The dealer said I'd be able to run the air conditioner if I have 2 Honda EU2000 in parallel. I did read some notes in the WBCCI pages about too low of current damaging the unit. My paperwork from the dealer says they supply that converter. Can I use if for everything except the air? I'm sorry I have SO many questions. You guys will tire of me soon.
Thanks again,
Jim
Old 08-20-2005, 02:06 PM   #40
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, I off and did it!

I just started the hunt to look at the new 25' SS SE in a more serious light. I've sent an email to Airstream with some questions. If the answers come out good, the price is in the range, looks like we'll be moving to a 2006 this year.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote