RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 03-26-2006, 01:27 PM   #201
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Thurmont , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazz300
I posted this in another thread and it was suggested that I post it here:

Well, my wife and I went to the dealer to finalize the purchase of a 19' Bambi Safari SE we had put a deposit on. We liked the SE package with the aluminum skin inside and just as the papers were being signed I asked the salesman if there were any larger ones with the SE package in stock.

He said, "We have a 25' out back that just came in 3 days ago, let's go take a look". We were walking back behind the building and he stated it was a FB.

My wife and I don't like the front bedroom designs (We had seen the 20' and 22') and we almost stopped and turned around but decided to check it out anyway. Little did we know that the door was at the rear, and the bedroom isn't the first thing you see when you step inside. Wow, what a floorplan! We fell in love instantly and knew it was the AS for us. You could actually walk around the queen bed.

It was loaded with options like the Audio/Video Upgrade Package, The Safari LS Upgrade Package, Panoramic Windows in Front and the new '06 stripe graphics.

The Bambi SE was nice but I think we would have eventually outgrown it. But let me tell you, this one's a keeper!
I feel the same way. Last Friday I finally got my husband to go to a dealer. He was looking for some parts for our '75 Land Yacht. Turns out the dealership is very new and didn't have a large parts inventory yet. So I dragged him out to look at the CCDs. We walked past a back door 25' that he insisted we look at after the CCD. We liked the floor plan so the salesman who had joined us by then said we should see the new Special Edition that just came in. We walked in the door and my husband said "This is the one I want." I thought he was just dreaming outloud. He wasn't. After a short negotiation he put down a deposit. We pick it up in about 2 weeks. It was on the lot 2 days. We were the first to look at it. I am stunned. He said he would never get a new one.
badagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:01 PM   #202
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Joining the club...

We're joining the special edition club; our Bambi Safari SE LS is on order! So now we're officially in the hurry up and wait period . (It's supposed to be in sometime early to mid-May.)

So what's proper forum etiquette for adding an "on order" trailer to my profile? Do I wait until they assign a VIN? Or is it not official until I pick it up? And which should I use: 2006 Safari 19', or 2006 Safari SE, or 2006 Safari LS ?? Decisions, decisions...
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:42 PM   #203
Rivet Master

2020 23' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
And which should I use: 2006 Safari 19', or 2006 Safari SE, or 2006 Safari LS ? Decisions, decisions...
I'm sure if you ask one of the moderators, they will add the proper designation for you to select.

Congratulations on the new trailer, BTW

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:44 AM   #204
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
I'm sure if you ask one of the moderators, they will add the proper designation for you to select.

Congratulations on the new trailer, BTW

Dennis
Thanks, Dennis. I hope I can stand the wait! It's so exciting.

I'll see if the moderators can give me a proper SE tag. Maybe we should ask for all the SE trailers that are listed in the SE brochure:

2006 19' Safari SE
2006 23' Safari SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2006 28' Safari SE
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:43 PM   #205
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
28' SE/LS options question

Here are the options listed on the Airstream site for the LS package (not necessarily SE/LS):
SAFARI “LS” OPTION PACKAGE
Spare tire
Fantastic fan (living room)
No fuss flush black tank rinsing system
Aquajet water pump
Cast taillights (international type)
Electric hitch jack
13,500 BTU A/C with heat pump
Jackets & caps (2 ea)
Pure Touch Classic filtering faucet with separate sprayer
Screen door guard
LS graphics
Zip Dee chair (2 blue) - 28’S/O & 28’ only

Can any 28' SE/LS owners out there verify that you actually received the italicized, underlined options? The faucet is nice, the other stuff I've often wondered if it actually gets delivered. And I never trust their site content.
Thanks,
K & L
Old 04-04-2006, 09:31 PM   #206
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hi K&L,

My friend Vicki bought a 30' Safari LS in 2004 and it took her many many months and a reminder to the dealer to get their jackets and caps. She got them late summer 05 I believe but that is because she forgot to "remind" the dealer sooner, I suppose.

I was told by the dealer that it will "be a while" before you get them as you have to fill out and send in a size card.

The chairs would be in the unit when you take delivery, like the Classics I would think.

I e-mailed Airstream today, our unit started on the production line yesterday and should be moved to the dealers between the 13th-18th. I am getting so excited and nervous! Please cross your fingers for me that the assemblers are having a succession of red letter days.

Anyone stay near Jackson Center without their Airstream? I am tempted to drive down but I need to "wean" myself from the Classic. I am looking for a room not too far away.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:13 PM   #207
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I am tempted to drive down but I need to "wean" myself from the Classic. I am looking for a room not too far away.
carol b&b in new bremen, ohio...... 20 minutes west of j/c.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:41 PM   #208
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky
Roadkingmoe was helpful but all wet on the subject of solar versus generator.
Not a very civil opening to a discussion IMO.

Quote:
You get solar because you can have true independence, from the noise & stink of generators, from limited campground "generator hours".
Whether you can have independence from a generator depends on whether you can and/or are willing to live within the limitations of your particular solar system, especially when it comes to a rainy week or camping in deep woods. Your ability to do that also depends, in part, on the parasitic loads of your RV or boat.

Quote:
I'll be making a nice cup of joe and recharging my iPod while generator folks are waiting for generator hours to come around in the campground or spilling gas on their fingers again...
Question: What does one's choice of recharging RV batteries via solar or generator have to do with making coffee? (hint: ask a tent camper)

Answer: Not a thing when you have fire or propane, butane, alcohol or white gas to make it with, at no cost to your battery capacity. Keep in mind "generator folks" can also make coffee with a battery-eating microwave oven or coffeemaker through a big inverter, and not wait for "generator hours." We opt for the no-electricity method whether boondocking with tent or Airstream, or at anchor on the boat. This philosophy goes hand in hand with replacing incandescents with fluorescents or LEDs.

Question: What does choice of RV battery charging method have to do with charging an iPod?

Answer: Nothing. We keep our iPod, cell phone, handheld CB radio, handheld marine VHF radio, and handheld FRS radios, all charging off the 12V system constantly, whether or not a generator is running at the time. That's with the desktop weather radio on 12V day and night and sometimes with a Fantastic Vent running all day when we can't park in the shade.

If you wish to discuss or debate my positions on RV battery charging methods, please choose topics that are relevant to the issue. And keep in mind that name calling doesn't win you any points.

Regards,
Old 04-05-2006, 06:36 PM   #209
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
We didn't go with the solar option. We are still considering it but it was suggested that we could have higher wattage panels installed for less money from an installer who frequents the rallies or another installer other than from the Airstream factory. We also thought it would not be a disadvantage to wait and have an install later if we did decide to try it. I was worried that for $1800 (?) we may not see the improvement in capacity that we might be hoping for.

We like to camp in the woods under trees in the North and often don't see any sunshine at our campsites.

After we get the Airstream the next decision will be for a newer tow vehicle. I still don't like the idea of carrying a generator in the SUV. I am leaning towards the Honda 1000 or 2000 because of the smaller sizes and infrequent usage.

There have been times in the Fall when there is a campsite we just have to stay at whether we deplete the batteries or not and then we get cold! I may also add a little Buddy heater or similar heater for open window daytime usage in situation with no power anymore to run the furnace.

We also didn't opt for the inverter but I definitely want to install one, I just don't know what how or where or by whom.

Maurice glad to see your post. I was just thinking I hadn't read a post from you in awhile.

photography
Old 04-05-2006, 06:43 PM   #210
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
Silverback:

Sherry and I took possession of a 2006 Safari LS SE, and have the following:

Spare tire
Fantastic fan (living room)
No fuss flush black tank rinsing system
Aquajet water pump
Cast taillights (international type)
Electric hitch jack
13,500 BTU A/C with heat pump NO, it was the smaller
A/C
Jackets & caps (2 ea)
Pure Touch Classic filtering faucet with separate sprayer
Screen door guard
LS graphics
Zip Dee chair (2 blue) - 28’S/O & 28’ only

No, we did not receive any chair.

Hope this helps.

Robert and Sherry
OpenHigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #211
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
Carol: We use the Honda 2000I and luv it. Please do not even consider the 1000.

Best, Robert
OpenHigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:44 PM   #212
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I can lift either, though the 1000 is lighter and smaller and the 2000 empty has to be "helped" with my knee to raise up over my waist let alone extend it from my person to put back up into a vehicle, but still doable with a really strong heave-ho mind set.

Do you recommend the 2000 because it will run appliances as well as recharge the battery at the same time? Or because it charges faster? Runs longer? It is nice that two can be connected though I don't think that would be a future need, but who knows maybe there is sunny hot boondocking in our future.

photography
Old 04-05-2006, 08:37 PM   #213
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
badagle -- I vacillated between old and new for a number of years. I put put new out of my mind and was in the long process of rehabbing a '76 Argosy. Susie couldn't have led me anywhere I wasn't willing to go myself -- there was pride in what was happening with the Argo. Health circumstances led me to look at the Airstream website last June about the time they posted the 25' FB floor plans. I made up my own mind and, needless to say, Susie accepted within seconds when I suggested we look at buying something to get us on the road immediately. Yes, the decision can be instantaneous. I know what you're saying! We saw a 2005 FB within the week (still had the suicide door -- flimsy if you ask me ....) and we placed our order on July 10th.

silverback -- I can speak for the jackets since the Zip Dee chairs didn't come with our model. A fulfillment company sends you a card to send back about 6-8 weeks after your purchase agreement. It can take a couple more months for the jackets/caps to arrive -- but yes they will approximately 3-4 months after your purchase (the sight of which made our kids think we'd gone over the gerontologic edge!!).

wheel interested -- Yes Carol, I've very much enjoyed seeing Maurice and Pick getting back into the Forums! Gasoline inside an SUV is an issue -- I'm not even comfortable with it in our pickup bed. You can install the LP kit on the EU2000i -- Pick's thread on the topic: http://www.airforums.com/forum...00i-16113.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:41 PM   #214
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Back a couple of years ago, I believe I read where at least two EU1000 owners upgraded their converter from single-stage 40-45 amp to 3-stage 55-60 amps (which adds a faster bulk charge mode) and found the EU1000 overloading when the batteries were heavily discharged. That would be a concern for us since we upgraded to a 3-stage converter to shorten run times with the bulk mode, as well as add a float mode to stop overcharging the batteries.

I also like it that the EU2000 can continously power most household appliances, which are usually 1500-1600W or less. That includes our Airstream-supplied 1500W microwave, as long as the batteries aren't too heavily discharged. I've actually tested the microwave with the refrigerator running on auto and it didn't overload, but was really winding up high, probably in that range Honda recommends you don't use for more than 30 minutes at a time. We normally use the refrigerator on gas when boondocking.

The extra power also means we can use the Dirt Devil or other moderate appliance even when the batteries are heavily charging.

Yes, when fueled, they weigh about 55 lbs, and that might be a challenge for some to lift up to the tailgate of a 4x4 pickup truck. But if that's at all possible, I'd go with the EU2000. Then you also have the option of paralleling a second one for air-conditioning.

Thanks for the welcome back, guys!
Old 04-05-2006, 09:51 PM   #215
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks for the info Maurice. We probably will go with AGMs and a new converter in the future. When camping with friends and borrowing their generator we did have a problem with the 1000 cutting off from overload when the batteries were really discharged, though we had a bad cell as well. My husband was leaning towards the 2000. Guess I better just try to beef up the ol' chicken arms.

photography
Old 04-05-2006, 10:00 PM   #216
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I finally broke down and bought a pair of Group 27 Lifeline AGMs for ours. I wish I'd done it long ago. Having to add water to the flooded cells was a pain, and I was always washing the aluminum around the compartments with baking soda water and waxing it to try to protect it from the acid mist from the flooded cells charging. Now I don't worry about it. Expensive, but worth every penny.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:34 PM   #217
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I think we can only get the 24s in the Safari box. (soon to be ready.) In November we bought the Lifeline 27s for the Classic but hadn't had a chance to use them yet. Is that what corroded the aluminum around around the battery compartment tray doors? I thought it was my trip to Florida or winter travel. I had the factory try touching that up but it doesn't look good.

I'm hoping by not having the built in inverter and the gas/electric gas hot water heater that the phantom load will be smaller and the 24s will get our 25' with good enough capacity. Maybe we could put an on/off switch for the radio to help that residual load as well. Would it be crazy to throw the battery disconnect at night while boondocking to try to save some amperage?

photography
Old 04-06-2006, 06:25 AM   #218
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I've often thought it would be cool to replace the digital radio/cassette player in an Airstream with one of those old mechanical pushbutton AM/FM car radios... but then what would I plug the iPod into? Our 2001 has an AM/FM cassette (what's a cassette?) player that has RCA Aux In jacks. I thought of replacing it with one that has a DVD player, then I thought of adding a CD changer, but when we also got the boat, I just put all our music on an iPod.

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't think that having the electrical capability on the water heater uses any more parasitic current than the gas only, if you don't use the electric. I like having the option to use it if propane is running low or to boost heating if in a hurry. We don't use it much though.

I'm not totally against inverters. There are some things you have to have them for, a satellite TV receiver, for example, and some of these new Digital TVs, especially the Sony models. I just prefer to keep the inverter use, in wattage, to no more than the combined amp-hour capacity of the batteries, i.e. 150W for 150AH. With motor-driven things and the older TVs with degaussing circuits, it's been necessary to have a larger inverter than that to handle the startup surge. Xantrex has a small (450W IIRC) sinewave inverter that has a transfer switch that automatically bypasses the inverter when you hook up to AC power (including a generator). Also regarding inverters, IIRC the 12VDC outlets on the Winegard antenna panels are only rated for 8 amps, so you wouldn't want to plug an inverter much larger than 80W in there. It's best to hard-wire inverters anyway, and keep the wire run to the batteries as short as possible. So far, we've gotten by without one.

With regard to shutting the master switch off, I'm don't think the refrigerator would keep running, even on gas. If you're serious about boondocking, get an amp-hour meter such as the Xantrex Link 10. We haven't yet, but then I just run the generators every evening anyway.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:26 PM   #219
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks for your help Maurice. Our 25' Safari FB SE is due out the factory between the 13th and the 18th! I am getting so excited and may have to rush down to spot it on line. It will be almost a year since the first time I ever saw her face, but I vowed right then and there to get one someday, somewhere, somehow. It's such a great fit for us that it feels custom made for our style of camping.

photography
Old 04-06-2006, 08:04 PM   #220
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
factory vs. dealer installed solar

Carol (wheel interested),
We went factory solar this time. On our current and previous trailer we had the solar installed at the dealer (ready when we took delivery). It has worked great up until about three weeks ago. We were dropping the trailer off for other warranty work (fixing a leak caused by the cracked sky light which is a topic for another post) when we noticed the solar contol panel was displaying garbled numbers. We said oh yeah please fix that too. The dealer replaced the controller and fixed the problem but it of course was not covered under the trailer warranty. And in fact the manufacturer refused to honor a warranty until they could test the failing part. We were out $128. which we may get part of back someday. I immediately turned and said to Mrs. Silverback, "glad we went factory on the new one". Who knows what tune I'll be singing in two years but I wanted to pass this along.
K & L