Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2020, 05:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Thanks for everyone's questions and interest in this thread! I plan to answer the questions that have been posed in the next couple of days.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
This is a wonderful thing you have done. Thank you, everybody wants a setup like this !
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:26 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
So now, with the trailer connected, whenever I place the truck in reverse, the video is from the trailer rear view camera if the switch is in the down position. I’ll be glad to answer anyone’s questions. This was an interesting project for me and a lot of fun!
Wow. Quite a project congrats! I have a wireless camera that works fine but always wondered if there's a way to integrate it into the vehicle's display so I don't have to have another display on my window which is constantly falling off. Think this is possible?
pianolaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:27 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Questions from rmkrum with answers indented.
I’m going to install one of their three camera kits, with side cameras and one external mount camera. I didn’t know they offered a flush-mount rear view camera.
When you say one of their three camera kits, are you talking about Rear View Safety, or another company's kit(s)?
Your timing is perfect, because I was tearing out my few remaining strands of hair trying to figure out how to get the high-mounted rear view camera cable fished into place from the roof and actually waterproof.

A couple questions:

1) In the supplied the camera cable, are all the wires to the connector plain old wires? Or are there some that are actually coaxial cables?
All of the connectors and harnesses fit together "hand in glove." Take a look at everything all connected together and working when I was verifying proper operation initially. The RVS equipment is in the Passenger's seat and the BrandMotion interface unit is near the glove box, above the yellow digital multi-meter and the flashlight.
2) I’m assuming all their cameras use the same compatible high quality aviation-type connector. Any knowledge or thoughts on this subject?
Yes, all of the connectors are high quality in my opinion.
3) Please, could you grab and post a close-up picture from the monitor showing the approximate field of view of the camera once you get it installed?
The installation was actually finished around September of 2019. I'm also including a picture of the monitor. This isn't fully representative of the video quality as the sun was shining at a bad angle on the rear view camera, but it's the only picture that I have at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Test of Camera & Wiring 1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	360499   Click image for larger version

Name:	View Behind Trailer.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	360500  

Old 02-03-2020, 07:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Thanks. Mine is a RearView Safety unit. That’s why I woke up and started asking questions!

Thanks for the response!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:48 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Zeppelin View Post
Great job, and thanks for the detailed documentation.

I also have a hard wired installation, but use a separate monitor attached to the rear view mirror. One thing you might want to change - I find that I rarely use my camera/monitor when reversing, but frequently use it to check for tailgaters or traffic about to pass me on the interstate.

Again, thanks for the excellent documentation.
I am probably going to add a push button (momentary switch) above the toggle switch that selects the trailer's or the truck's camera. This switch will trigger the selected rear camera video anytime I push the button by overriding the currently displayed video such as navigation. That way, if I want to see behind the trailer or the security of the trailer hitch, all I have to do is push the button and it's immediate.

A rear view camera is nearly useless by itself for backing a trailer up into a campsite or anything else. However, it is invaluable to see what is directly behind you, obstacles, where you should stop, etc. For instance, if I back my trailer into my driveway, I want to back it up enough to get the trailer as far back as possible without blocking my trash can. I also want to avoid hitting the garage. The camera can show me these things at a glance, and I don't have to get out multiple times.

However, for general backing up and situational awareness around the tow vehicle and trailer it's important to have good towing mirrors. It's equally important to have the mirrors properly adjusted and to spend the necessary time and practice until you are comfortable using them.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:53 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
What’s the duty cycle of the camera, I’m looking for a constant rear view.
The duty cycle for these camera systems is 100%. They are used on many systems that are constantly on. The guts of these camera's are essentially identical to what is used on security/surveillance systems that are intended to be operated all the time. RVS and other companies use the same cameras on systems for buses, trucks and commercial equipment that are used continuously.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:15 PM   #28

2005 25' International CCD
Jonesborough , Tennessee
I would be interested in learning about the wireless system you installed. I've read warnings that wireless backup camera systems don't work well on Airstream because of the aluminum shell.
TNFlyrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:09 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNFlyrodder View Post
I would be interested in learning about the wireless system you installed. I've read warnings that wireless backup camera systems don't work well on Airstream because of the aluminum shell.
Don't know where you read this but I have a Voyager wireless on the back of my 27FB and a separate monitor in my Ram 2500. Works great.
pianolaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:29 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
My rear view camera is a Garmin, and it integrates with the GPS so there's not another monitor. I installed the camera inside the rear window and the transmitter simply lays on the bed. I never lose signal even though the Airstream shell theoretically blocks the signal. Maybe it goes out the front window?
I do use it backing, mainly into my storage room, where I positioned a cone with a strip of SOLAS reflective tape. (For night landings) I back that cone right to the center of the bumper.
The camera is great for traffic also, once you factor in the delay. (about 15' at 60 mph.)
The camera is least valuable for backing into a campsite, since the resolution is not good enough to be sure that black thing is a shadow or boulder. It is useful to see how far back you can go once you have gotten out and checked the obstacles once or twice.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:20 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Steve,
I'm wondering if you think the camera you have is still the best available for this application. I have a 2021 International 27, and I'm not happy with the image from the Bluetooth camera that came on the trailer (let alone the separate monitor on the dash...). My new TV that I just ordered, a 2022 Ram Laramie 2500 comes pre-wired for a trailer camera hook up. I'm not certain, but I think the image will display in the digital rearview mirror. Any suggestions on which camera to order at this time?
Thanks!
Roger
Harlan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:21 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlan27 View Post
Steve,
Any suggestions on which camera to order at this time?
Thanks!
Roger
Roger,
I suspect that Ram has an instruction set with specifications for a trailer camera that will interface properly with the integrated display in your new truck. Would you do some investigation on the web or contact your dealer to see if they can give you information or a link to information on their recommendations? Then I'll be glad to take a look at what I can find. Also, I'm sure that there are other sources of information.

BTW, if your new truck has a combo rear view mirror/monitor for the trailer camera, that the absolute best, most intuitive solution for a display in my opinion!

Steve
Old 07-23-2021, 10:43 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Steve,
The fleet manager that I am working with is having trouble getting specific info from Ram at this time; ability to order to 2022’s just started a couple of weeks ago. I suspect that I’ll have to wait until I have the truck to investigate compatibility any further. The truck does have “surround view” with a split screen view on the in-dash monitor showing the view from both cameras mounted on the side view mirrors simultaneously; additionally it has a digital rear view mirror that displays the image from a camera on the rear of the truck. Hopefully that’s where the image from the trailer camera will be displayed when hooked up. Still waiting for an answer from Ram if that is how they have it set up. That would be ideal!
Thanks,
Roger
Harlan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 09:53 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
Roger,
I suspect that Ram has an instruction set with specifications for a trailer camera that will interface properly with the integrated display in your new truck. Would you do some investigation on the web or contact your dealer to see if they can give you information or a link to information on their recommendations? Then I'll be glad to take a look at what I can find. Also, I'm sure that there are other sources of information.

BTW, if your new truck has a combo rear view mirror/monitor for the trailer camera, that the absolute best, most intuitive solution for a display in my opinion!

Steve
You’re right Steve - I ordered a 2022 RAM 2500 in November 2021 (just came in last week) and they offer a rear view wired trailer camera that integrates with the digital mirror (there’s also a complete surround camera system available that integrates with the 12” display, but I only wanted the RV rear camera view). Apparently no 3rd party cameras will work with the system so you have to use theirs.

I have the Voyager and have used it for 9 years almost entirely without trouble - but I don’t want to lose any more dash real estate (there are a LOT of blockages in the windshield already I need to get used to) and carry ANOTHER screen with me for the rear view. Integrating right in to the mirror should be perfect!

Now to figure out the wiring process. The description in this thread with the Excella is great! I just don’t have the skills to disassemble and reassemble like that!

I’m contemplating running the cable over the roof or underneath and attaching to the belly pan but both of those solutions, while easier, are both uglier and open to lots of problems.

Wide open to advice and/or assistance if anyone has any thoughts in the MA/CT area!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 05:32 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Thoughts on this approach??

I talked with someone today who suggested it might make sense to install the camera below the Flying Cloud emblem on the rear of our 27FB (see pic) and pull off a couple of the wall plates from the interior opposite side of the license plate (see pic) to fish the wire down and then (gulp) drill through the bottom inside of that wall (does that go in to the bumper storage where I store my sewer hose??) to get the cable underneath and run conduit for the cable up to the a-frame to plug in to the tow vehicle.

Does anyone know how feasible that is or isn’t as an installation strategy? Also, to seal the holes being drilled, is Vulkem the preferred sealant?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E08CC5C4-D3ED-4050-9B7A-F0AF385EDF46.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	455.5 KB
ID:	415221   Click image for larger version

Name:	8F750919-0FAE-47C7-AD89-0EEDFD242854.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	415222  

SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote