RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-20-2018, 09:52 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
I just bought the Weboost RV from TechnoRV and it's scheduled to be delivered today. Looking forward to hooking it up and seeing how it works.
Let us know how it works, I've had my eye on this for months but have not seen to many reviews. Most reviews on Youtube are that 'they just received them and will follow up' but no follow up. Will be interested in how it works out for you.

Jason
hoagy_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #22
(parenthetical RV)

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Lawrence , Kansas
We have a Winegard WIFI and 4G LTE antenna array; please note that you will need a SIM card and account with either Winegard at $20 a 1GB/month of usage (basic) or with your phone carrier (then you have to install it on the unit). True reception is significantly improved. This was installed by the dealer for us in the last remaining roof spot for it. I think we would have been better served with a portable unit in retrospect.
Stephanie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #23
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Unfortunately in rural areas you can have excellent cellular signal (directly or via a booster) and still have poor data performance if the providers has weak provisioning to the towers in the area, so it's not a panacea but I want to put in a booster in our trailer because I'm often able to work on the road, and I'd like to do more of that (for longer Airstream trips without becoming unemployed!) but what kind of connectivity is available is a dice-roll until I've been to a place.
I live and work from my trailer and find this to be a bigger issue than I thought it was going to be. Even in somewhat populated areas I can get a good signal (naturally or boosted with my WeBoost) but the bandwidth just isn't available.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:36 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
austin , Texas
I have both the WiFi Ranger (use for data) and WeBoost (use for cell phone) for 3.5 years now. I have unlimited data on both plans (Verizon data only for laptops and AT&T for cell phone). I work from the trailer with a Verizon MiFi jet pack that allows up to 10 devices (I have 3 at a minimum running at the same time). I cannot rely on campgrounds or other free Wifi as it's not secured.

I always check the Verizon website locator map for the signal strength before deciding where to stop if I need to log on and work. Once I'm at my destination, I use an app on my phone that tells me which direction the signal is coming from (and strength) which seems to help with the WeBoost positioning. That's not so important with the WiFi Ranger as it sits above the trailer rooftop (don't park under dense tree coverage ;-).

At the Salem International Rally last month, I spoke with a guy who said he's running both his cell phone and data for his laptop on the Wifi Ranger (his is new). Don't know about that but something you might want to research if considering the Wifi Ranger.

This set up works great for me but I don't go in areas of weak cell reception even with the WiFi Ranger. Can't take the risk of not being able to work. Good luck!
ejami5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:14 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1986 32' Limited
Boise , Idaho
WeBoost & WiFiRanger Solution

I run a weboost 4G Cell extender and a WiFiRanger Pro on the roof, with a Core router in the trailer. Most Airstreamers don't realize that their trailer is a Faraday Cage, aka block wifi and cellular signals, diminishing the usefulness of both mediums. You got to put something on the roof to make it work well inside the tin can.

While the other options mentioned work and are cheap, you get what you pay for and my experience is that once I configured my setup, it automatically figures out what to use, and I spend my time doing stuff I want as opposed to messing with technology. I had a cradlepoint but it was complicated, so it was a science project at every new location. Hated it.

Last month I used 29GB of free WiFi. My so-called "Unlimited Plan" from Verizon shuts down to a crawl at 20GB a month, so the WiFiRanger more than doubled my data capacity last month. At $10/Gb overage, the ROI makes sense if you are data hungry. I noticed that with the WiFiRanger, my speeds are typically 2-3 times faster than sitting outside the tin can and trying to connect to park wifi with the laptop directly. YMMV

Good luck.
Aluminum03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:28 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly of Center Moriches, NY) , South Dakota
I recently upgraded from the WiFiRanger Titanium (N router) to the WiFi Elite (AC router). I use a Mr. Longarm extendable pole to get the device above my roof. I run the cable in through a window to the indoor router. I have about 10 WiFi capable devices. Once I set up my WiFiRanger (an easy process), ALL of my devices get WiFi without further futzing. I'm VERY happy with my experience over the years using WiFiRanger products and can recommend WiFiRanger.

PS: In years past, I've also used (and have been happy using) Pepwave products. I believe WiFiRanger products have more features (which are updated more frequently) and that's why I've switched over to WiFiRanger. Actually getting to meet WiFiRanger staff (who attend many RV events) certainly helped in making my decision to move to the WiFiRanger system.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:55 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
Ain't that the truth (Bezos sat network). In hindsight, tower based cell service is probably one of the worst ideas that ever came to fruition.
I bought a SureCall RV setup from Amazon. The first one worked great for a week, then died. Called Amazon and they sent a replacement. That one lasted @ 3 weeks then died as well, fortunately I was able to return it. I opted not to go for a third try with the SureCall. Instead, I bought a Weboost setup with a Yagi antenna and it (fingers crossed) has been awesome so far - strong 4 bars with LTE signal for over a month.
I work from my AS so I need cell service. I had T-Mobile unlimited data but they have no towers where I'm currently parked. I ended up dumping T-Mobile (love how these companies "fix" the system to their benefit). I originally called and told them to switch me from their unlimited $75.00/month plan to a basic $25.00/month plan with no data since I had to use the AT&T network and T-Mo has a 200MB cap on "roaming" data. I get my next bill and it's still $75.00, call and am told the change won't take place until the next billing cycle. In the meantime I go back to my AT&T hotspot for internet. Ultimately I switched everything to AT&T.
Bottom line T-Mobile charged me another $150.00 for service though I only got 200MB of data and cancelled service with them (I was charged $75.00 for their service for a full month after I switched to AT&T).
As for RV Park WIFI, it's a bad joke. If they are going to publicize WIFI availability they should be required to have the capability to actually provide decent service. In the past year, I've only encountered one park that had acceptable service, i.e., internet access was faster than dial-up (most parks you couldn't even get onto the network).
andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:34 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyherman View Post
Ain't that the truth (Bezos sat network). In hindsight, tower based cell service is probably one of the worst ideas that ever came to fruition.
I bought a SureCall RV setup from Amazon. The first one worked great for a week, then died. Called Amazon and they sent a replacement. That one lasted @ 3 weeks then died as well, fortunately I was able to return it. I opted not to go for a third try with the SureCall. Instead, I bought a Weboost setup with a Yagi antenna and it (fingers crossed) has been awesome so far - strong 4 bars with LTE signal for over a month.
I work from my AS so I need cell service. I had T-Mobile unlimited data but they have no towers where I'm currently parked. I ended up dumping T-Mobile (love how these companies "fix" the system to their benefit). I originally called and told them to switch me from their unlimited $75.00/month plan to a basic $25.00/month plan with no data since I had to use the AT&T network and T-Mo has a 200MB cap on "roaming" data. I get my next bill and it's still $75.00, call and am told the change won't take place until the next billing cycle. In the meantime I go back to my AT&T hotspot for internet. Ultimately I switched everything to AT&T.
Bottom line T-Mobile charged me another $150.00 for service though I only got 200MB of data and cancelled service with them (I was charged $75.00 for their service for a full month after I switched to AT&T).
As for RV Park WIFI, it's a bad joke. If they are going to publicize WIFI availability they should be required to have the capability to actually provide decent service. In the past year, I've only encountered one park that had acceptable service, i.e., internet access was faster than dial-up (most parks you couldn't even get onto the network).
Hi Andy,

Which WeBoost did you go with, the RV 65? I'm also going to be working from my AS and will need consistent solid service.

Thanks,
Hoagy
hoagy_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:40 AM   #29
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Internet In Motion Solution

We recently had an Internet In Motion solution installed in the storage cabinet above our bed with wiring through the roof of the trailer connected to two small stubby looking antennas on the roof of the trailer. All we had to do was add an additional line to our Verizon account (an additional $20 per month) which included a Verizon SIM card which we had to plug into the Internet In Motion modem. Now, if we have Verizon cell coverage, we get internet while we're driving in the tow vehicle or in the trailer when parked and we are not subject to highly variable RV park WiFi bandwidth issues.
In total, we spent about $1,000 with most of that being labor to have it installed for us. Here are the things we like about the Internet In Motion solution: 1) no subscription service; 2) relatively low cost compared to much more expensive solutions; 3) the ability to swap out SIM cards if we switch cellular providers; 4) no unsightly wiring or cords on the inside of the trailer; and 5) we can stream movies without impacting our neighbors. As an added bonus, RV Park internet issues are no longer a stress point which is very freeing. We've only had it a few days but have already noticed a tremendous difference. We should have done this a long time ago.
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:44 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
I bought a refurbished WeBoost 4G directly from Wilson Amplifiers for $200. The kit came with a flat coax cable which I use to run the cable out the storage door underneath the bed to an antenna on a tripod which I can move around to optimize the signal.

When there is a cell signal, it works very well to boost that signal. No signal, no boost.

Here is a picture of the flat coax cable.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3862.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	486.4 KB
ID:	318072
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3863.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	665.4 KB
ID:	318073
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks Dave! That looks just like what I need.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:41 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
I bought a refurbished WeBoost 4G directly from Wilson Amplifiers for $200. The kit came with a flat coax cable which I use to run the cable out the storage door underneath the bed to an antenna on a tripod which I can move around to optimize the signal.
That sounded good so I went to the Wilson web site. Sadly, they didn't have a web boost for $200, refurbished or not and then the different models got into the weeds.
Which model did you get? M or X? Both got good reviews "but" both had limitations.
Tell us more. Please.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:41 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
WiFi and 4G Signal Boosters - Opinions and Reviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
That sounded good so I went to the Wilson web site. Sadly, they didn't have a web boost for $200, refurbished or not and then the different models got into the weeds.

Which model did you get? M or X? Both got good reviews "but" both had limitations.

Tell us more. Please.

I got the WeBoost 4G Home which is designed for a 1500 sq ft room or office. Perfect for most AirStreams. I did not get the X version as it is designed to work while moving (on the road). I only use mine when stationary. You need to check their web site a couple of times per week to find a used one or a good sale. Good luck!

BTW, I am sitting in a state Campground in the middle of the Rockies writing this post. Without the WeBoost, I get 2 bars of 1x. With the WeBoost, I get 2 - 3 bars of LTE. I can actually stream the news and get emails.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:13 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post

Tell us more. Please.

They have the home kit $299 refurb right now:
https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/web...ished-470101r/
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:02 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Dear all,
When I purchased my new AS in June, the dealer told me that Airstream is currently working with AT&T to develop a subscription service that will greatly improve connectivity on the road, RV parks, etc. He said the roll-out is scheduled for the 2020 model year and that this feature could be added retroactively. I am very short on details regarding this initiative but it sounded promising!
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:43 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I curious about the WIFI Ranger. Doesn't it basically poach unprotected hot spots from businesses like McDonalds or other hot spots, even residential sites that haven't password protected their networks?
Old 07-27-2018, 11:11 AM   #37

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
I curious about the WIFI Ranger. Doesn't it basically poach unprotected hot spots from businesses like McDonalds or other hot spots, even residential sites that haven't password protected their networks?
Only if you instruct it to, just like you could with your computer or tablet if you were close enough. It's just a combination of a high-gain antenna, amp and wireless router. You set your devices up to always connect to the WiFi Ranger, but you have to configure the WiFi Ranger for each network you want it to connect to. The downside of the WiFi Ranger is that if your campground's internet service is overtaxed by your fellow campers, you'll get a really good WiFi connection to a really slow internet connection.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:02 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Dunkirk , Maryland
Quote:
I got the WeBoost 4G Home which is designed for a 1500 sq ft room or office. Perfect for most AirStreams. I did not get the X version as it is designed to work while moving (on the road). I only use mine when stationary. You need to check their web site a couple of times per week to find a used one or a good sale. Good luck!

BTW, I am sitting in a state Campground in the middle of the Rockies writing this post. Without the WeBoost, I get 2 bars of 1x. With the WeBoost, I get 2 - 3 bars of LTE. I can actually stream the news and get emails.
Does this unit require 120 volt AC? We would like to use while boondocking and would prefer to run directly to battery.
Munnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:33 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
The unit comes with a 120 volt adapter which generates a DC voltage of 6 or 7 volts. We have an inverter and do not leave it on all of the time, so we have not bothered to get a DC to DC adapter. They are available, however, from Wilson for $25 https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/wil...supply-859913/.

These booster are great when we are boon-docking out in the mountains. If it gets even a weak signal, it can boost it.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:48 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
WiFi and 4G Signal Boosters - Opinions and Reviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post

Dear all,
When I purchased my new AS in June, the dealer told me that Airstream is currently working with AT&T to develop a subscription service that will greatly improve connectivity on the road, RV parks, etc. He said the roll-out is scheduled for the 2020 model year and that this feature could be added retroactively. I am very short on details regarding this initiative but it sounded promising!

See this thread for the airstream connected system now being offered by airstream for after-market dealer installation. $999 + dealer labor for install.

New “Airstream Connected” LTE-WiFi Dealer Installed
http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...3<br /> <br />
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote