Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2014, 06:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Yes you can use your iPhone as a personal hotspot by connecting your sub cord to your Mac. Go to settings. Then cellular and turn on the personal hot spot. You may need to reconnect the usb cable so that the device is recognized but after that you should be good to go. But remember if you start streaming movies its gonna eat up a lot of data

Good luck
Dana

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
USB cord. Not sub cord. Come on Siri, stop rearranging my letters. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:08 PM   #23
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I've often thought about Wi-Fi Ranger and other such antennae and amplifiers, but when all is said and done, the only thing I'd have is an awesome connection to a painfully slow wi-fi network. So I often use my phone as a hotspot and drop it into a Wilson Electronics Sleek 4G cradle whenever I need to amplify its signal.

Oh, and one way to improve security a bit on those Wi-Fi networks is to use a VPN application like Tunnel Bear or Cloak.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I usually use the hotspot on my cell phone, because of the available band width in campgrounds. However, I don't think it is really fair to blame the problems on the campgrounds. It is my opinion that 90% of the campground wifi problems are caused by inconsiderate campers. This has been backed up by discussions with campground owners who keep track of the usage on their systems. The newer systems that require you to use an assigned login, keep track of who is using how much band width.

It most cases, the internet coming into a campground has about the same total data capacity as an average high quality home connection. However that has to be shared by all the campers. As posted in many campground offices I have been in, the campground WiFi is for web browsing and email. Yet even in campgrounds with free cable TV and signs saying "please do not stream movies". There are still many people who feel that they are somehow entitled to that. It only takes a few campers streaming movies and other video content to bring the whole campground system to a crawl. So before you bad-mouth a campground's wifi network, look around and see what your fellow campers are doing to spoil it for everyone. Watch TV or get a blue ray player and bring your movies with you.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:26 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Thanks, for the information, Goal15. I tried it this morning. Very easy to connect. Don't know how that information has been lost to us before now…So many times with no CG connection that we could have used it.
Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote