Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2017, 05:18 PM   #181
3 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Thanks Rocinante!

Got it! As it turns out, we will drill above the center light fixture in the dinette cabinet and fish it down. We will then snake them into a small nearby hole and into the cabinet. I will actually be running two cables through- one for the cellular antenna, and one for SiriusXM antenna. This will be so much easier than getting behind the radio.

Your idea of drilling above the light fixtures made all the difference. Thanks again.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #182
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Anyone use the Weboost with the AT&T Mobley device? The Mobley is a hotspot and I would think you could mount the indoor antenna and the Mobley in the cabinet with the radio?
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:35 PM   #183
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Bill, you might want to check out this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...ot-168501.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #184
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Bill, you might want to check out this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...ot-168501.html
That is the thread that made me question how it can interface with the Weboost! Am I missing something? My thought is that the interior antenna of the Weboost can be installed inside a cabinet as long as the Mobley is also installed near it? Wondering if anyone has paired the two together?

Bill
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:48 PM   #185
3 Rivet Member

Success!

Woohoo!

This post is being sent from our Bambi at Dead Horse Point SP in Utah. First day of our 3 week adventure. Terrible connection in campground. 1 to 2 bar 1x or 3G. Data impossible, voice questionable. From the interior of our Bambi, I cranked up the Weinguard batwing antenna that held our directionabke Yagi, in a nearly identical setup to Rocinante’s (who was extremely helpful). Using a compass, I estimated where Moab was, I pointed the antenna at it. I turned on the booster...

3 BARS LTE BABY! I measured 4Mb/s download speed and did a voice call as a test. No oscillations! The antenna is just 4 feet above the roof, and directly over where I sit at the dinette. The whole dinette is our private internet zone. Phone position doesn’t seem critical. Violated the 20’ rule but worked nonetheless.

Right now I am one happy camper!
larry9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:12 AM   #186
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great update, thanks!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:13 PM   #187
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry9000 View Post
Woohoo!

This post is being sent from our Bambi at Dead Horse Point SP in Utah. First day of our 3 week adventure. Terrible connection in campground. 1 to 2 bar 1x or 3G. Data impossible, voice questionable. From the interior of our Bambi, I cranked up the Weinguard batwing antenna that held our directionabke Yagi, in a nearly identical setup to Rocinante’s (who was extremely helpful). Using a compass, I estimated where Moab was, I pointed the antenna at it. I turned on the booster...

3 BARS LTE BABY! I measured 4Mb/s download speed and did a voice call as a test. No oscillations! The antenna is just 4 feet above the roof, and directly over where I sit at the dinette. The whole dinette is our private internet zone. Phone position doesn’t seem critical. Violated the 20’ rule but worked nonetheless.

Right now I am one happy camper!
Awesome, so glad it's working for you! I stood on the shoulders of others to design and build my config. I'm really happy to hear the ideas I built upon are going strong.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:55 PM   #188
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
I had he Weboost 4g installed a year ago. It gets very hot and I don’t see any signal improvement on my ATT iPhone X. Supposedly was installed correctly at the AS dealer in Denver. They also installed my Dish Traveler and did a good job on that. Should I give up, does it really work for anyone? Yes, I measured the signal strength from very close, inches away from the inside antena.
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:59 AM   #189
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Boise , Idaho
Antenna?

Vitaver,

What's your antenna setup? I know WeBoost recommends that the outside antenna should be 20' from the indoor/boosted antenna. I think one issue with most WeBoost installs is that the antennas are installed according to ease of installation and not optimal location. Cabling choices also matter. It is amazing how little amplification these devices perform in the real world, so any screw-on-off adapters, substandard wire, etc will kill performance.

-A
afk314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:01 AM   #190
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaver View Post
I had he Weboost 4g installed a year ago. It gets very hot and I don’t see any signal improvement on my ATT iPhone X. Supposedly was installed correctly at the AS dealer in Denver. They also installed my Dish Traveler and did a good job on that. Should I give up, does it really work for anyone? Yes, I measured the signal strength from very close, inches away from the inside antena.
My experience is that the Weboost 4G helps weak signals, but not strong signals. I don't know what you are testing against, but you may not see improvements with relatively strong signals.

If the antennas are too close, you may get oscillation, and the weboost will turn down the gain to prevent it. You can typically see this right after you supply power to the we boost amp by the red/green flashing when it powers up. Perhaps that is why it is so hot. Ours will get warm, but not hot.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #191
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
Granville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry9000 View Post
My experience is that the Weboost 4G helps weak signals, but not strong signals. I don't know what you are testing against, but you may not see improvements with relatively strong signals.

If the antennas are too close, you may get oscillation, and the weboost will turn down the gain to prevent it. You can typically see this right after you supply power to the we boost amp by the red/green flashing when it powers up. Perhaps that is why it is so hot. Ours will get warm, but not hot.
I have also had success on weak signals. With strong service you maybe pinging the tower, not the Weboost.
Roadhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #192
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Between Here and There and Nowhere , what have you got?
I agree with Larry. My first test in a high signal area was disappointing, as I thought the signal strength app I was using would show off the charts boost.
But in areas of very low signal, it has been a life saver, and sometimes just getting a text out was enough. Best up grade to make.
As I understand it, the metal of the AS helps separate inside/outside antennas, as I'm in a 20' making antennas about 12' apart horizontally.
openroad118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:53 PM   #193
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
My Sure Call Omni antenna is mounted on a solar panel at the front of my 25FB. It's very thick, low loss coaxial cable runs along the roof to the rear and through the roof to just above the entertainment cabinet over the dinette. So, I've maintained optimum separation between antennas.

The WeBoost 4GX is bolted to the top of the radio/DVD player enclosure with 1 inch standoffs for cooling. I normally open the sliding cabinet door for cooling while the 4GX is running.

I use the portable "candy bar" antenna in the dinette area, setting my Verizon Jetpack, or Verizon mobile phone on top for maximum reception. It'll normally turn 1x,texting strength into one or two dots for 3G voice strength. One or two dots of 3G will usually be boosted to four or five 3G or to one or two 4G. One or two 4G will usually be boosted to four or five 4G. Results are dependent upon a variety of factors including location of cell towers and objects between you and the tower.

On my previous trailer, a 23D, I used the default magnetic base antenna mounted on a powder coated plate on the rear of the trailer and ran the thin wire through the fridge vent. I installed the 4GX on the wall under the TV, again with cooling standoffs. Results were not a good as in the current 25FB. I attribute this to less separation between antennas in the 23 and the antenna's thin cable.

I haven't tried an interior ceiling mounted antenna so not sure about their effectiveness.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:09 PM   #194
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
My Sure Call Omni antenna is mounted on a solar panel at the front of my 25FB. It's very thick, low loss coaxial cable runs along the roof to the rear and through the roof to just above the entertainment cabinet over the dinette. So, I've maintained optimum separation between antennas.

The WeBoost 4GX is bolted to the top of the radio/DVD player enclosure with 1 inch standoffs for cooling. I normally open the sliding cabinet door for cooling while the 4GX is running.

I use the portable "candy bar" antenna in the dinette area, setting my Verizon Jetpack, or Verizon mobile phone on top for maximum reception. It'll normally turn 1x,texting strength into one or two dots for 3G voice strength. One or two dots of 3G will usually be boosted to four or five 3G or to one or two 4G. One or two 4G will usually be boosted to four or five 4G. Results are dependent upon a variety of factors including location of cell towers and objects between you and the tower.

On my previous trailer, a 23D, I used the default magnetic base antenna mounted on a powder coated plate on the rear of the trailer and ran the thin wire through the fridge vent. I installed the 4GX on the wall under the TV, again with cooling standoffs. Results were not a good as in the current 25FB. I attribute this to less separation between antennas in the 23 and the antenna's thin cable.

I haven't tried an interior ceiling mounted antenna so not sure about their effectiveness.

Ditto on the Ultra Low Loss Cable and the SureCall Omni antenna. I have the Wilson Indoor Flat Plate Antenna mounted on the ceiling in front of the refrigerator. That combo works like a champ...and I don’t have to be sitting right next the little antenna that came with the 4G-X. I get a boost regardless of where I am in the trailer. 30 ft. Classic. Don’t even know where that piece is because I have never used it.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:47 PM   #195
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
Ditto on the Ultra Low Loss Cable and the SureCall Omni antenna. I have the Wilson Indoor Flat Plate Antenna mounted on the ceiling in front of the refrigerator. That combo works like a champ...and I don’t have to be sitting right next the little antenna that came with the 4G-X. I get a boost regardless of where I am in the trailer. 30 ft. Classic. Don’t even know where that piece is because I have never used it.
Would you happen to know the model of your Indoor Flat Plate Antenna? I've noticed that they sell a rectangular white low profile box antenna and a couple of rectangular black ultra slim models.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:39 PM   #196
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
The outside antena on top is right above the dinette. On the cabinet right below is the device and right under the cabinet is the inside antena. The AS dealer did the initial installation and at my request reset the outside antena using a metal plate for base as the instructions indicate.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:42 PM   #197
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
It is a rectangular black slim box, velcroed to the bottom of the cabinet. No markings or brand. I figure is the one that came with the unit.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:19 PM   #198
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaver View Post
The outside antena on top is right above the dinette. On the cabinet right below is the device and right under the cabinet is the inside antena. The AS dealer did the initial installation and at my request reset the outside antena using a metal plate for base as the instructions indicate.
It sounds like your antenna are too close together and creating a feedback. Do you see red instead of green lights sometimes? Try to remount your outside antenna at the opposite end of the trailer.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:44 PM   #199
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Only the green light shows when powering up, solid and stays that way.

I did additional testing on my iPhone X and Verizon Jetpack. When physically touching the antenna, the signal strength on the phone goes from one bar to all 4. 10 inches appart it goes back to one. The Jetpack did not show any difference: close, away or with the Weboost 4X powered off.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:55 PM   #200
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
This Surecall antenna you place inside the RV, is this one? https://www.amazon.com/SureCall-Sign...=surecall+Omni

If not which please? Thank you