Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2016, 12:31 AM   #121
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbdo View Post
I ended up getting a splitter and jacking this into a 4G WiFi device, and that works great for me.
Hey, this sounds like a really nifty idea. Any specifics you can provide on the splitter itself and how you did that would be much appreciated. I'd love to feed a cable into my Cradlepoint IBR1100LP6 in addition to having the candybar available for phones. On the input side, the Cradlepoint behaves just like any other 4G WiFi device, so that should work.

Thanks!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:51 PM   #122

Updating my own post above: 3G store says that if I were to feed an antenna wire directly from the WeBoost Drive 4G-X into the Cradlepoint, it would likely fry the Cradlepoint.

Maybe the CP is more sensitive to such things than other 4G WiFi devices. In any case, we won't be doing that for our config. Will go with a Wilson 4G panel antenna vs. the candybar, hope that will give us a good result, as I keep reading that the candybar doesn't produce much signal.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:56 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
3M VHB tape #4950 with a cover of SikaFlex 221 polyurethane sealant. Works like a charm every time...........
Hi there, is that the tape that comes already on the feet from AM Solar, or should I change that tape out for the #4950?

(The 3M guys were kinda hot on VHB 5952 for this application, but if the feet come with 4950 already on them I'll use them as-is and see how it goes, since it's working well for you!)

Old 09-24-2016, 06:57 PM   #124
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
You'll be happy with the panel antenna. I use them for all of my 4G-X installs. If you want to place it in the ceiling, get Wilson's ceiling mount kit as well.

Lew Farber
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:14 PM   #125

Thanks! Just heard back from tech support at AM Solar, the feet came with #4950 on them.

In any case, I just ordered a roll of #4950 and an extra tube of Sikaflex 221 as insurance in case I somehow stick them down wrong the first time.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:41 PM   #126
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Hey, this sounds like a really nifty idea. Any specifics you can provide on the splitter itself and how you did that would be much appreciated. I'd love to feed a cable into my Cradlepoint IBR1100LP6 in addition to having the candybar available for phones. On the input side, the Cradlepoint behaves just like any other 4G WiFi device, so that should work.

Thanks!
I got it from Amazon and this is the item description:

Verizon Jetpack 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot AC791L NETGEAR AirCard 791S 791L dual plug antenna adapter cable w/ FME Male connector

I am using it with my AT&T 4g hotspot, it is not specific to the Verizon one, which I used it with as well by the way. This screws directly into the output of the Weboost device, which is ideal. I have everything mounted on a sub panel in the pantry and there is plenty of length. Happy to post a picture of that if it is of interest.

-brad
bbdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:32 AM   #127
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
With regard to Jetpacks, how much data is eaten up if you use an Apple TV or other streaming device?
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:36 AM   #128
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I haven't had a Jetpack for over a year...did love it, but find the convenience of the cellular data within my IPad Mini so much more convenient, especially when traveling.

You really can't do much streaming, unless you want to pay really big bucks.

I had 14 or 15 GB a month, and could maybe watch one movie on that, toward the end of my data month, to avoid overage.

I switched to a home WiFi, and dropped my Verizon to 2GB/month, unless traveling.

The reduction in Verizon more than paid for adding the WiFi at home, and I've been very happy with it.

Maggie
Old 10-02-2016, 01:21 PM   #129

Yeah, I wouldn't 't plan on streaming videos via cellular data unless I had an unlimited data plan. Even then, I'd be careful not to consume more than 200GB per month, to avoid calling too much attention to myself.

My DVD player still works, so I'm good with that.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:40 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
With regard to Jetpacks, how much data is eaten up if you use an Apple TV or other streaming device?
Depends on the quality, but suffice it to say it's "a lot".

Streaming and cellular networks don't mix.

I have an unlimited plan on my iPad but rarely stream anyway. I'm a big iTunes nut, but enjoy it mostly at home with unlimited internet.

On the road, I rely on saved stuff.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:45 PM   #131
1 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
City , Maryland
During the process of ordering the drive 4g-x today with the 3g store, I mentioned that I wanted to upgrade the internal to gain more coverage. They mentioned that due to the limited gain of the amplifier that I would not gain additional/better coverage by upgrading to another internal antenna.

I have read thru various threads and it seems like everyone here has gotten better results changing out the internal antenna.

Whats everyones take?

My setup will be like most: weboost drive 4g-x, two surecall Omni directional's & the yagi directional including the pepwave surf soho (when they become available).
Alumalarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:28 PM   #132

We went with Wilson's panel antenna vs. the candybar antenna provided with the 4G-X. We like it, though it's possible we're fooling ourselves. I hate to argue with experts at the 3G store, because they are generally so helpful. Maybe chat with the folks at WeBoost/Wilson to see what they say?

Old 10-28-2016, 06:14 AM   #133
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
We went with Wilson's panel antenna vs. the candybar antenna provided with the 4G-X. We like it, though it's possible we're fooling ourselves. I hate to argue with experts at the 3G store, because they are generally so helpful. Maybe chat with the folks at WeBoost/Wilson to see what they say?
I use Wilson's inside panel antenna, along with the Sure Call Omni outside antenna in every 4G-X installation that I do. I have found that there IS a difference in usable range! You need to be within 3 feet of the candy bar to get proper response, but the panel increases this distance to 10-15 feet.

Interesting, but it was on the advice of a the techs at 3G Store that led me to the panel antenna initially. I don't know why they would not support that now.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:59 AM   #134
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
I use a truckers antenna I mounted to the side of AC unit, run cable through ref ridge vent ( drilled hole in lower aft side of vent under grill and avoided messing with that. Fished cable down and out to comm area I set up under seating by tv with easy access. There is the weboost and a cable runs aft to wall under table that we keep stowed to the wall mounted antenna. We haven't had much road time to see how it works, but that's what we're going with for now.

DBLee and Southern Belle on the road
Old 12-31-2016, 12:05 PM   #135
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
My Sure Call Omni came with Wilson 400 Ultra Low Loss coaxial cable. The cable is 3/8 inch diameter and seems that it could be a challenge routing it through the trailer. Has anyone successfully used a thinner and more flexible coax?
Old 12-31-2016, 04:25 PM   #136
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Weboost install

I only use ULL ( ultra low loss) cable for my cell booster installs. It's just not worth the possibility of noticeable signs loss with anything else.

I don't have to cut large diameter holes though, as I put the N connections on myself, so the hole size is just slightly larger than the cable diameter. 😄

Lew Farber
Old 01-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #137
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I intend to install my Wilson 4G-X in the cabinet above the TV in my 2017 Classic. Which is right next to the fridge and will use the fridge vent to run the cable into the trailer. Two questions for you Lew:
1. Do you drill a hole in the side of the vent to route the antenna cable, then seal it up or is there a different/better method?
2. How far back or forward on the roof should I mount the antenna on a 30 ft trailer given the 4G-X will essentially be midship?

Breathe in, Breathe out, Move On!
2017 Classic
2016 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 Diesel
ProPride 3p
Old 01-06-2017, 05:15 PM   #138
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
I intend to install my Wilson 4G-X in the cabinet above the TV in my 2017 Classic. Which is right next to the fridge and will use the fridge vent to run the cable into the trailer. Two questions for you Lew:
1. Do you drill a hole in the side of the vent to route the antenna cable, then seal it up or is there a different/better method?
2. How far back or forward on the roof should I mount the antenna on a 30 ft trailer given the 4G-X will essentially be midship?

Breathe in, Breathe out, Move On!
2017 Classic
2016 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 Diesel
ProPride 3p
I'm considering a similar install on my 2017 25FB. Have you decided on how you are going to power the 4G-X? Will you go for both 120AC and 12vDC?
Old 01-06-2017, 06:23 PM   #139
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
I'm considering a similar install on my 2017 25FB. Have you decided on how you are going to power the 4G-X? Will you go for both 120AC and 12vDC?
You only need the 12VDC as it will be more practical and it's available when off-grid. You should use either the switched 12VDC outlet adapter OR install a switch in the line if you hard wire the 4G-X, as it draws almost an amp when on and you certainly won't need that draw if you are not using the amplifier.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:01 AM   #140
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Between Here and There and Nowhere , what have you got?
The more I research the WeBoost and the antennas associated with it the more confused I become.
For instance, in installing a WeBoost Drive 4G-X with a Omni antenna on the outside of my 20' FC, I'm told if I also install a SureCall dome on the ceiling inside, the antennas have to be at least 10' apart, 15' is better so they don't create a 'loop'. But what about the panel antenna Lewster talks about? Where do you place that and will that work? How close can they be from each other, as the panel is directional? I want to avoid using the 'candy bar' antenna and it's limitations. What model of panel antenna is being referred to here?

openroad118 is offline   Reply With Quote