Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2017, 08:09 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
We have it easy since we are both hams and there is a mobile in the truck. DW takes a handy talkie and guides me in after we do a survey first to decide how we want to park. I just listen on the mobile. If I need to talk I can pick up the microphone. . .
A consistent terminology is key. We use curbside, roadside instead of right, left - whose right, facing which way? Al
Same with us except we weren't that smart - still asking "whose left?" Thanks for the great idea on curbside/roadside terminology.

Love airforums!

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
Motorola T605 H20 Two-Way Radio with Carrying Case

they work when needed.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...way_radio.html
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Not sure if it applies to all, but with some, if you have the security feature enabled, i.e say channel 02-4 instead of straight 02, it seems to introduce a bit of a lag in functioing when you hit the press to talk button. In other words if you press "talk" and start speaking right away, the first couple of seconds of speech do not transmit - can be annoying. Just don't use the extra security channel code and transmiiting begins immediately
OK, I'd heard about this problem. Is it universal? Is it easy to turn off?

A talk delay ... that'd be nothing but trouble.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:07 AM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post

Noise-cancelling microphones on marine VHF radios have the same problem, that the first syllable spoken gets cut off. The standard solution among boaters for that is to make sure the first syllable is "Uh…" or "Um…" and then say what you want to say.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:18 PM   #25

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStreamr View Post
Same with us except we weren't that smart - still asking "whose left?" Thanks for the great idea on curbside/roadside terminology.

Love airforums!
wife and decided on driver side and passenger side, plus if I can't see her in the mirrors I stop until I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
We use GMRS radios for parking the trailer - sort of!

Have used Motorola, Cobra, Midland, and all seem quite comparable.

Not sure if it applies to all, but with some, if you have the security feature enabled,
i.e say channel 02-4 instead of straight 02, it seems to introduce a bit of a lag in functioing when you hit the press to talk button. In other words if you press "talk" and start speaking right away, the first couple of seconds of speech do not transmit - can be annoying. Just don't use the extra security channel code and transmiiting begins immediately you press talk.

As well, in our case (luckily my wife doesn't follow this forum!) I have had and continue to have a lot of trouble getting my wife to comprehend how the radio is to be used.

Problems include:

- trying to talk to me without pressing talk! (I see her talking in my mirror but don't hear a thing!)

- pressing talk and asking me something but then not releasing the press to talk button! (frustrating!)

- shouting into the thing 1/2" away from the mic so I can't understand a word!

These things continue to plague our two way conversations! I probably should just give up on it after years of trying - but hope springs eternal!

I do ask her to always stand so that she can see the truck mirrors so I can observe any panic reactions from her even though I may not hear anything!

Probably good old hand signals are the best!

With my background in railroads, I like the good old method of swinging a lantern (or LED flashlight!) vertically to indicate keep coming back, and horizontally to indicate stop. (Rapid horizontal swinging means "Right now!") My wife is good at this method!
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:20 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Exactly the reason why boats have port, starboard, forward, aft.
I've tried that with the wife, she doesn't understand that any better than left and right . [Not everyone knows that in the automotive world, left and right are from the driver's seat.] Boat or AS, we just point. We haven't hit a spigot or power post yet. Almost hit a low hanging limb on a live oak, she wasn't watching the overhead. That's why I stop and walk back to check things out.

For us, the left/right confusion comes into play when we're trying to line up on the hitch ball, not so much on backing up. Now she just stands where I can see her (never between the TV and AS)and she points to the direction the ball needs to go. We still have the occasional problem but we eventually get hooked up.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:03 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Walkie-Talkies ... let's hear your recommendations

We use Motorola Talkabout radios. I think they were at Costco for around $50 a pair.

They have a useful built in LED, a switch to select the Weather frequencies, and charge off of a micro USB.

We use them every time we back in.

On approach to the site, I set up the trailer in an ‘S’ maneuver, then stop and listen to commands from my DW.

She uses ‘More to the driver’s side’ or ‘More to the passenger side’, depending on which direction she wants the back of the trailer to go. Then I just watch the trailer in the mirrors and move the bottom of the steering wheel in the commanded direction, while backing slowly.

Sometimes we put a set of Orange sports cones in a line in the site, to give me a visual cue to line up on. I can generally place the trailer within 3” or so of where my DW wants her main exit door.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3975.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	577.6 KB
ID:	297365

This is here at our site in NC; uphill, on gravel, curved, between a wood deck and the utility box. I had to put the truck in 4WD but did it in one maneuver.

The radios really help us a lot, but CB, cell etc. all work. I think the key is to communicate, go slow, and don’t be afraid to get out and look.

A camera would be nice but I still think it’s a two person deal.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Bought some when we were newbees and have never used them..........
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Finally, I discovered a money saving feature of traveling solo.
No need for radios.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post

Exactly - talk delay was a big issue until someone told me about switching off the security code to eliminate it. very easy to do, but I can's say if all make of GMRS radios have the same issue and same solution. Worked for us.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaNBob View Post
We use Motorola T4500s that are very small and are kept in the TV. We find them convenient and recommend the use of walkie talkies. We have watched other couples yell at each other during the backing in process and are convinced they work to help guide the driver and preserve domestic harmony.
Domestic harmony is the primary reason for my walkie-talkie quest ...

I see I could get a pair of those Motorola's for $25.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:06 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Anacortes , Washington
Walkie Talkies

We bought Motorola brand small ones, replaceable batteries (AA or AAA?), and they work fine for us. Besides, if we hit Costco, Walmart or other large stores, we can use them to locate each other. I think we paid something like $30 for a pair from Amazon. Work fine.

When it is back up time, we turn them on, we inspect the backup area for any obstructions, I turn on the Pro Backup Assist (sometimes it doesn't connect, so then manually backup), while she tells me things like "a little driver's side", "turn hard passenger side", or "straight from there". We don't use a right and left in our communication. I seldom have to speak, just listen to what she says.

Our previous units were rechargeable, but too many times they needed charging when we wanted to use them. Thus, we can always easily replace batteries if needed. The batteries will last a long time.
Pat Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Pierce View Post
We bought Motorola brand small ones, replaceable batteries (AA or AAA?), and they work fine for us. Besides, if we hit Costco, Walmart or other large stores, we can use them to locate each other. I think we paid something like $30 for a pair from Amazon. Work fine.

When it is back up time, we turn them on, we inspect the backup area for any obstructions, I turn on the Pro Backup Assist (sometimes it doesn't connect, so then manually backup), while she tells me things like "a little driver's side", "turn hard passenger side", or "straight from there". We don't use a right and left in our communication. I seldom have to speak, just listen to what she says.

Our previous units were rechargeable, but too many times they needed charging when we wanted to use them. Thus, we can always easily replace batteries if needed. The batteries will last a long time.
Not sure which models your previous ones were but often the rechargeable packs can be replaced directly with AA or AAA batts.

We often use ours in malls too as we tend to go our own separate ways - works fine in one large store, Costco, WallyWorld, etc, but range may not be great within a mall.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:36 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Pierce View Post

I seldom have to speak, just listen to what she says.

I find this is true in most things with my DW.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:44 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Palmyra , Virginia
I would always tend to consider a pair, or more, FRS walkie talkies. The range is reasonable, are small & light, run off one to 3 AA or AAA. If you break or lose one it's no big deal. They are all compatible with any other FRS W/T so replacements are ready available....and they are sold all over the place.
Scoutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:48 PM   #36
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
It's very impressive to watch a couple navigate a large yacht into a pier or anchorage with just calm hand signals. Parking lot practice sessions with your trailer would be just as impressive when used in the campground.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:09 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
I’m still considering walkie-talkies.

There are many different models ... I’m slipping into consumer paralysis.

I may just go to Best Buy and grab whatever is available.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:08 PM   #38
Johnnyooo

2015 23' International
Colrain , Massachusetts
I have a pair of Motorola wallow talkies which work well for parking...Better than cell phones or yelling at each other..
Johnnyooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:02 PM   #39

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
One question, how does one teach one's better half to remember to push the button before she starts speaking or release it so I can speak?

I usually see her reacting before I get the verbal instructions.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:52 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
One question, how does one teach one's better half to remember to push the button before she starts speaking or release it so I can speak?

I usually see her reacting before I get the verbal instructions.

My wife and I were chucking as we read your post. We’ve been through that learning curve. It takes a few trips to get to the place where you both are communicating in a way that works. It happens, don’t give up, and have some patience. In the end you’ll both be happy you worked as a team to safely back into your parking spot
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote