Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2020, 07:50 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Another option may be to install it inside so it peaks through the rear window. My camera is different and there is little degradation cause by the window. Downside is when the back window is covered by rain. Jim
Attachment 373571
That looks like a great solution! Airstream is sticking the rear mounted units on the new trailers and they are okay but the field of vision is really hard to deal with and it is pointed down to the bumper so not too much of a view behind you.

How is the field of vision with your camera? Is it DC powered? I see a LED and toggle switch on your light fixture but not too sure what power is there.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:48 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
PB_NB
The field of vision is about 160 degrees and adjustable vertically. The camera is powered by the DC available at the overhead light. I put a switch and LED in the base of the light so I can run it independently from the light. I turn it on when leaving and off when returning. The camera is a little more secure and not subject to the environment which is a consideration for me since I keep the Airstream in public exterior storage.
Jim
Old 07-22-2020, 09:24 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
160 is pretty wide. That should show you everything in the area. I was thinking about sticking my GoPro in the back window and it has a 150 degree FOV. What makes your camera nice is it looking outward in more of a natural direction rather than straight down.

With the Voyager you don't get as wide a view. Currently, I could back into something that was say over 6 feet tall and not see it on the camera. Something like a large tree branch, building overhang or clearance sign.

I could always try tilting it upwards to see what sort of results I get, but I think Airstream installs these with some purpose to the angle they set up.

Also, you have taken care of the water ingress issue with your installation incase that hasn't been mentioned

Old 07-25-2020, 10:27 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Another option may be to install it inside so it peaks through the rear window. My camera is different and there is little degradation cause by the window. Downside is when the back window is covered by rain. Jim
Attachment 373571
I also installed min inside the rear window. I'd do it again. Mine is the Garmin BC-30 and my complaint is the resolution is poor. The transmitter just lays on the bed, I believe it's bluetooth, and I never lose or freeze images.
The angle is wide, so I can see the rear bumper as well as straight behind me. The downside to a wide angle is things far away are tiny, then zoom up into the field of view. I get power from a USB port, via a converter to 12v.
I did have to cut the screen, since the wide angle has everything in focus.

It's ideal for backing in good light, gas stations, etc. (I have startled people by backing up to a car behind me.) It's okay for traffic, but it could be better for backing into a campsite, a dark spot could be a shadow or a bush or a rock.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:41 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Mollysdad, I think you and Jim are onto a good thing here.

I think the only prerequisite is that your trailer has a back window!

I like the Garmin stuff but will try the GoPro since I already have it and try to snap some comparative shots of the FOV between the Voyager and the GoPro.

Old 07-25-2020, 11:35 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
I like the Garmin stuff but will try the GoPro since I already have it and try to snap some comparative shots of the FOV between the Voyager and the GoPro.
The big plus of the Garmin is it uses the GPS screen with a "camera" icon. Since I already had the Garmin RV 770, I didn't add another screen.
I've begged Garmin to make a similar camera with 720 resolution. So far the BC-40 is powered by AA batteries and mounts on the license plate frame, and the "new" BC-35 is Wi-Fi instead of Bluetooth; but the same resolution.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:35 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
I took a moment today to grab some images of the voyager screen and the GoPro looking through the back window of the trailer.

The GoPro was just propped up on the window frame with really no adjustment other than what I could see without further mounting of the camera.

There is a storage shed and a green pressure washer in the picture.

Other conditions are:

GoPro is a screen capture from my iphone. Gopro was set to automatic color and superwide image. I could have recorded what I was looking at as a photo or video.

Voyager screen is just a photo of the screen using my iphone. No adjustments were made.

First impressions are that the GoPro image is far superior and much wider. I was able to connect to the camera from inside my truck but it was a bit slow to establish a connection. Once connected it was smooth.

Voyager connection was almost instant.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3398.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	374053   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3400.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	957.4 KB
ID:	374054  

Old 08-02-2020, 01:48 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Lewisville , Texas
My factory or dealer mounted Voyager camera was still working but the antenna had separated from the housing (though still electrically attached). Also, the exterior was corroded. I emailed the good folks at Voyager and they were kind enough to send me an out of warranty (free) new camera.
@tflyingsquirrel
mattRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:38 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattRox View Post
My factory or dealer mounted Voyager camera was still working but the antenna had separated from the housing (though still electrically attached). Also, the exterior was corroded. I emailed the good folks at Voyager and they were kind enough to send me an out of warranty (free) new camera.
That's great that they stood behind their product.

Old 08-02-2020, 02:49 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
I just had JC replace my camera for the same issue. They sealed it up as the tech knew of the ongoing issue with this (Steve). He had the forethought of not wanting to have to replace it again.....so he sealed the shell, screws and the glass....So hopefully that is that.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Orland Park , Illinois
Factory wiring

Does anyone know how the Voyagers are wired in from the factory? I am hopeful that just removing the camera and grommet will get me to enough slack wire to just crimp a replacement camera in. It seems everywhere else there is factory wiring there is a couple feet of extra wire laying about. Certainly the access would not be from the inside.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:31 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMrT View Post
Does anyone know how the Voyagers are wired in from the factory? I am hopeful that just removing the camera and grommet will get me to enough slack wire to just crimp a replacement camera in. It seems everywhere else there is factory wiring there is a couple feet of extra wire laying about. Certainly the access would not be from the inside.
When they replaced mine, it was from the outside. There has to be slack there or else it wouldn't have been possible from the rear with the locker in place.

So I'd save have at it.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:28 AM   #33
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
There is slack in the wire. Just be careful as you pull it out to get to the two butt connectors. Mine was hanging up and the very small 30 gauge wire from the camera pulled out of the connector. Tried my best to fish the wire out of the hole with no luck. So removed the top center running lights and ran a fish wire wire up and tapped in there. Before the camera was installed at the factory it was very common to drill the power hole and tap into the center running light.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:55 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Orland Park , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
There is slack in the wire. Just be careful as you pull it out to get to the two butt connectors. Mine was hanging up and the very small 30 gauge wire from the camera pulled out of the connector. Tried my best to fish the wire out of the hole with no luck. So removed the top center running lights and ran a fish wire wire up and tapped in there. Before the camera was installed at the factory it was very common to drill the power hole and tap into the center running light.

Thanks. I was looking for confirmation that the factory wiring was not direct all the way back to the center light. With any luck I can get it to pull out smoothly.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:45 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Lewisville , Texas
After taking the replacement Voyager camera for a week long trip, I can say that the clarity is SO MUCH BETTER now. I'm not sure if there was something wrong with my 2018 model camera, but this new one is WAY better/clearer. Only the camera was changed- still using the old monitor.
@tflyingsquirrel
mattRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:26 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Nashville , Tennessee
Voyager has offered to replace ours at no charge, but I have to send the old one back to them. Problem is I can't get the cable to the existing camera to come out far enough to unplug it. It is hanging up on something and I think giving it a hard pull will just make a bad situation worse. I haven't had time to fool with it lately, but now I like to get it resolve. Our nearest AS dealer is about a 2 hour drive away so trying to avoid the trip. How is this thing wired?
foolrushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:28 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Los Angeles , California
ASA Also replacing my camera

ASA also replacing my camera. They are a very good over there at ASA but I bought the camera only eight months ago. What worries me is that it had inside water damage so quickly. I’m worried that it’s going to happen again. I don’t know why nobody has thought of this but I think they should make a waterproof camera cover for when the trailer is parked. I told ASA that they would have to replace a lot less cameras if they would include a camera cover. I guess that wouldn’t help if you were driving in a rain storm but it would certainly help when the Airstream is parked. Since I have never driven mine in the rain I’m sure a cover would’ve helped a lot. The only rain the camera has seen is when it was parked. Just thinking out loud!
Richardcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:34 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
Mollysdad, I think you and Jim are onto a good thing here.
I'm very happy with the inside mount. My complaint was with the resolution of the camera ~ 300 lines.
So, in the words of Mick Jagger, "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.", I just purchased a Haloview 7108 package. I'm going to mount the new camera on the same inside mount. The viewing angle of Haloview is 120 degrees horizontally, which will mean I won't see the rear bumper (that I do now) Since the Garmin camera is tiny, I'm mounting it's bracket under the halo view camera just for the wide view mainly for parking in my storage spot. For power, I'm changing out a USB port by the bed for a 12v. cigar lighter.
I'm going to be the canary in the coal mine to see if the Wi-Fi signal will make it out of the Airstream (the bluetooth Garmin did fine) and I wonder if the Infrared lights for night illumination will glare on the glass???
Inside the truck cab I have a RAM arm for my TPMS monitor, so the Haloview monitor will attach below that. (No suction cups) The Haloview monitor has a T-slot mounting system so, on paper, I have all the parts.
I just need to go to the storage garage and spend a day trying to finish one project before starting five more..
Old 04-28-2021, 02:44 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
I'm getting ready to mount a Voyager camera on my Airstream and was wondering if there is any way to determine the optimal height of the mounting location. There are half a dozen Airstreams in my storage unit. I measured the distance from the bottom of the camera mounting bracket to the top of the Airstream logo. The cameras on those six Airstreams are all at different heights above the logo. The lowest one is 3.5 inches above the logo; the highest is 5.5 inches above the logo.

I was told that the higher the camera is mounted, the more reliable the signal in the truck will be. I would also like to be able to see the outer tray of my bike rack when it's loaded and have a look down the road behind me. Does anyone have theirs set up to be able to see that view? If you do, please send me the measurement from the top of the Airstream logo to the bottom of your camera mounting bracket. Other ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:03 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
San Anselmo , California
Voyager mounting

From the top of the Airstream logo to the bottom of the Voyager bracket: 6-3/4".
ondaroadagin is offline   Reply With Quote