Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2020, 08:42 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Midland , MI
Voyager Rear Camera Dead in 2 months. How to replace?

We bought our new TB Airstream in May, 2019 and the rear camera worked at the dealer. We used it for 2 weeks in the Fall and I was unable to pair the camera to the display but I thought I was just missing something and didn't worry about it. This Spring I was still unable to pair the camera to the display. I finally got out a ladder and checked the camera to find it was full of water. I looked at options for replacement and found Amazon sells both the entire set, including the monitor for $427.50 or the camera alone for $208.63.

I took the original camera apart trying to find a simple way to attach a new one if I decide to go that route. See pictures. It turns out the power cord is connected directly to a second circuit board in the camera and getting to that requires complete disassembly. So if I want to use the existing power cord I either have to cut the cord from the new camera and splice it in, or take the new camera apart to get to the circuit board. I'm sure doing either destroys any warranty the camera would carry. If I could snake the new power cord into the trailer and hook it to whatever it's connected to now, I wouldn't have to cut the cord or open the camera, but I have no idea how to do that. I don't want to cut into any of the interior panels. Our trailer is a front bedroom model and there isn't any obvious approach to getting into the front bulkhead.

When I opened the camera I found it was half full of water! It appears to have decent seals but obviously they didn't do the job. We store the trailer in a covered indoor garage, so the only time water could have entered was over a period of about a month while we were campling and setting up. There was a silica gel packet inside the camera which was sodden.

Reading the reviews on this camera on Amazon, I found many people have had water problems with this camera. So, maintaining the warranty is important as the new one may leak as well. Any thought on options to wire it are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Voyager Rear Camera & Monitor - Amazon.PNG
Views:	119
Size:	559.9 KB
ID:	373897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mounted Camera.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	373899  

Name:	Camera Opened.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	373900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camera with water.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	373901  

Name:	Voyager Rear Camera - Amazon.PNG
Views:	113
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	373902  
BobnGayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Did you buy the new camera? I believe, though, you probably broke your warranty as soon as you opened the camera. Still you might try your dealer first as it should have been a warranty replacement. If you have to do a DIY either do a waterproof splice or go to West Marine and get a marine grade, waterproof, 12v connector.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
It looks like the silica gel pack is tucked into the camera body? Was that there when you opened it? If so, I think Voyager is aware that moisture gets into the camera and have attempted to dry it out by putting the packet inside the camera.

Ours has ben fine and we get a lot of rain out this way.

I find it the camera functions but maybe not as good as it could with the field of vision.

I am going to try my GoPro in the back window and see how that works in comparison to the Voyager.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:54 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Midland , MI
Airstream said they would replace it. Finally heard from them a month after I sent them an inquiry. Their response came 2 months ago and no camera has showed up yet.

They also said I needed to cut the wires and splice. I normally do waterproof splices by cutting the wires at staggered lengths to prevent a big bulge, solder them together, encase each wire in its own shrink tubing and then enclosing the complete cable in another shrink tube. Need to plan ahead of course. I’ve never had a problem with this approach and I’ve done a lot of these, in ground and my boat and cars.

The gel pack was in the camera when I opened it. It was sodden. And as I said, water poured out when I opened it, not a few drops, a regular stream. It must have been full. I can’t believe that much water could get in in the short time we had the trailer outside. We store it in a private covered garage.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:40 PM   #5
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
ASA Electronics stands by their product. I had water in mine, called ASA and had a replacement in 5 days. Easy to splice in the new one and tuck the wire back into the trailer. Don’t open the camera and try to do it internally. Not work screwing up the seal.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:51 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Midland , MI
I didn’t try ASA Electronics. I will give them a call if no luck with AS. As I said in my post I did contact AS and they said they would send a new one. But haven’t received it yet. Not a top of mind thing so time slips by.
Old 06-05-2021, 02:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
My Voyager camera failed due to water infiltration after a few years. I was just able to get a new camera for $200.

I opened the old camera but couldn't find any obvious point where it leaked.

So I sealed the new camera at every point in might leak: around the circumference of the body, at the antenna mount, at the power cord entry, and around the glass face.

I hope this at least gets me a few extra years.
Old 06-06-2021, 02:12 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Midland , MI
I opened mine when it quit working and water literally drained out of it. The seals seemed adequate but obviously weren’t. And, interesting, it had a pouch of the silica gel they put in things to reduce moisture. It was totally saturated.

After quite a wait Airstream replaced it under warranty.
Old 07-06-2021, 01:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
I am about to replace mine due to water intrusion. I see mention of splicing. Is splicing necessary or is there a connector inside the trailer?

ASA was pretty good offering to replace the camera under warranty, but requiring that I send it in first so I bought one on Amazon and will have a spare after I send it in for warranty replacement.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Mine has been replaced twice under warranty—once by my dealer and again by JC—for the same reason. My third one has not had any issues yet but if it goes before my warranty is up it’ll not be replaced with the same.
Old 07-06-2021, 01:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm changing out my rear camera and because of these reports and others I rejected the Voyager and the Furrion. I bought a Haloview. Mine is inside so water isn't an issue, but good reviews are.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:04 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Midland , MI
I remain surprised at the amount of water that entered my camera. As I said, AS did eventually replace it and I installed it last Fall. I haven’t had the trailer out of storage as yet, so I have no idea if water intrusion will happen again. I did cut the wires and spliced the new one in and it works fine. I’m not happy with the splice as it’s not classy, but it works and I’m not about to cut a new hole in the Airstream to run a new wire. I also do not want to disrupt the seal around the running light wire that feeds the camera, so my splice is out in the open. But it works and no new water ingress points, so I’m satisfied. And I appreciate AS replacing it under warranty.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
I am about to replace mine due to water intrusion. I see mention of splicing. Is splicing necessary or is there a connector inside the trailer?
No splicing needed. Pull out the grommet that goes through the panel and you can pull the wire out a bit. You'll find a connector.

And yes Voyager puts a silica gel pack inside.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:30 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Within the first week of taking delivery of our Airstream I replaced the Voyager for the Haloview H10 and never looked back, pun intended! Saves your dashboard from an ugly VGA 80s display:

https://www.haloview.com/haloview-wi...hcam-mc10.html
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
Within the first week of taking delivery of our Airstream I replaced the Voyager for the Haloview H10 and never looked back, pun intended! Saves your dashboard from an ugly VGA 80s display:

https://www.haloview.com/haloview-wi...hcam-mc10.html
I see what you did there!
I opted for the "ugly VGA display" . My challenge will be to see if the signal from the camera mounted INSIDE the rear window can get to the receiver. I have a plan. But remember what Mike Tyson said, "Everyone has a plan until they get hit in the mouth."
Old 07-07-2021, 06:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
No splicing needed. Pull out the grommet that goes through the panel and you can pull the wire out a bit. You'll find a connector.
Thanks for this reply.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 04:07 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2021 27' Globetrotter
Geographicly , Unbound
Saves your dashboard from an ugly VGA 80s display

You're not kiddin. Thanks for the Haloview link. Ill be ordering one when (if?) they get them back in stock. I hate the floppy vibrating ugly vga quality monitor they expect you to hang on a cheesy saggy suction cup windshield mount. C'mon people- It's 2021! This is a PacMan level video display, mass sold to AS by a company looking to off load its' primitive, non waterproof ancient merchandise.
When not full of water, the camera is barely adequate anyway. And destined to fail sooner rather than later. Jeez.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLife View Post
Saves your dashboard from an ugly VGA 80s display

You're not kiddin. Thanks for the Haloview link. Ill be ordering one when (if?) they get them back in stock. I hate the floppy vibrating ugly vga quality monitor they expect you to hang on a cheesy saggy suction cup windshield mount. C'mon people- It's 2021!

I got the Haloview 7108 with the 7" monitor. I didn't want to sacrifice my rear view mirror. Mine won't go on a 'cheesy' suction cup mount, mine will share the RAM arm currently used by the TPMS. The Haloview monitor is built with a 'T-slot' in the back which takes a simple RAM ball. (Although it also has a suction cup and U bracket.)
My TPMS will then go under the new monitor.

Nothing on the dash except the GPS and nothing on the windshield, period.
That should bring me to 2018 at least!

"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing." -- Mick Jagger.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:57 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2021 27' Globetrotter
Geographicly , Unbound
Ram Arm

K. More specs on the Ram Arm. I need one of these. Seriously.
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 04:58 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2021 27' Globetrotter
Geographicly , Unbound
Dang. You got it goin.