Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2021, 11:55 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
USB type charging plugs in 2021 Airstreams

We are getting a 2022 Airstream Globetrotter later this year. Our last Airstream had USB-A ports, however almost all new devices are requiring USB-C. Do the newer Airstreams now have USB-C or are they still using the older USB-A type plugs.

Not a deal breaker as there are always adapters, I just wanted to know if Airstream had made the change yet.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:09 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Our 2021 does not have USB-Cs but maybe the 22s will.
WBCCI# 8026
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
You are going to end up with something like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/Upgraded-Ba...-no-redirect=1

The ports they use have incoming 12V from the batteries and the ports reduce it down to the 5 volts needed for any USB device. It is quick and cheap....also, even though USB-C is becoming more popular since Android and now Apple coming on board....there are still tons of USB-A devices that are still around that far exceed USB-C. I think they are accounting for the legacy devices. I still use a Galaxy S9+ which is USB-C, but the original cords are still A to C that came with it....I'd be hard pressed to dump those to go and get a C to C wire unless I had no other choice.

It would be nice though if AS where to put one of each side by side to keep pace with the emerging technology.....I would have recommended something like that if I made the Ambassador cut.....but like many others...was not asked....

As you mentioned...the adapters are small and cheap...and replaceable going forward if you find you can replace it yourself.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
I added a new port to my 2020 International that is a combo USB-C and USB-A (QC 3.0). Im thinking of swapping the factory port in the nightstand for one of the new dual ports also.

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:03 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Hooper , Utah
Purchase a USB-A to USB-C adapter. Real expensive-- about $2.00. Then you can use either type of USB. Look on AMAZON, I have several adapters to use on my or others computers/tablets/telephones
that do not have a USB-C connection. They work just fine for charging as well.
albret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
If you want to have the full functionality of the high speed USB C connection you can always swap out the devices. We have been using these in new construction, has one of each and available in many colors. It's the perfect solution to what will likely be a slow, gradual migration to USB-C. Of course they will only fit a standard size box so locations in a TT may be limited.
When you ask if AS is using the newer stuff it reminds me of how long it took the car manufacturers to quit selling us new cars with tape decks in them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	usb.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	394877  
Old 05-04-2021, 04:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Well I just got a new Samsung tablet about 3 months ago, it came with a USB-A charger and a USB-A to USB-C cable and warned not to use anything else to charge it. So if the high tech manufacturers haven't changed over yet why would you expect Airstream to make the change?
EDIT This was a few weeks after Samsung announced they would no longer supply chargers with their phones.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Not on the 2021’s
Old 05-04-2021, 08:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Well I just got a new Samsung tablet about 3 months ago, it came with a USB-A charger and a USB-A to USB-C cable and warned not to use anything else to charge it. So if the high tech manufacturers haven't changed over yet why would you expect Airstream to make the change?
EDIT This was a few weeks after Samsung announced they would no longer supply chargers with their phones.
Not sure why they would say that, I've had no issues charging my 2 year old Samsung phone with USB-C to USB-C. If I use a USB-A to USB-C setup, depending on the charger, it will sometimes tell me I am not using the recommended charger and it will take longer to charge but nothing bad happens, and it does not warn of anything bad. We've been installing the USB-C wall outlets for at least 5 years now.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:32 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Ok thanks for the feedback. It was just wishful thinking on my part. All of my vehicles now have USB-C ports. My current laptops, current iPad and probably the next iPhone will all be USB-C. I really like the C ports not just because of the enhanced speed but also because of the convenience when plugging in.

The A ports always have to be perfectly aligned and right side up. For me this usually results in three attempts to plug them in. First time I have the connector the right side up but slightly misaligned. So I make a second attempt by turning the plug over only o find that I had it right in the first place so I have to make a third attempt. USB-C connectors connect easily and stay connected.

Yeah. I know adapters are cheap but then you don't get the enhanced data speed.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
Yeah. I know adapters are cheap but then you don't get the enhanced data speed.
True, but in the trailer, there is no data, it is simply a charging port so that won't matter much....but will be normal over fast charging.

What I did was install 2 12V lighter ports and then added the lighter port to USB adapter that uses the Qualcomm 3.0 standard to allow fast charging of my Android phones and wife iPad. Best of all worlds.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:01 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
USB-A is still the universal standard. Apple cords can be bought to plug in, as can cords for Samsung. Lots of options for USB-A to USB-C cords out there.

The problem with going with the latest (USB-C) outlets is that there are still LOTS and LOTS of people with devices using other charging ports, and having a fairly universal option like USB-A seems logical.

Just think - how long did it take the RV world to move from the cigarette lighter sockets? And those were never intended to be a power outlet - they were simply a place to plug in a cigarette lighter.