Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Upgrade to Batwing Antenna

The crank-up gear has broken on our antennae and we are thinking about switching the whole unit out for a batwing antennae that doesn't need to be cranked up. Any thoughts on this. What brand is the best? How difficult is it to switch out the old antennae for a newer digital kind? Thanks!
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kswelsh View Post
The crank-up gear has broken on our antennae and we are thinking about switching the whole unit out for a batwing antennae that doesn't need to be cranked up. Any thoughts on this. What brand is the best? How difficult is it to switch out the old antennae for a newer digital kind? Thanks!
Look into the 'Jack' antenna. Amplified, directional and very cool!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Look into the 'Jack' antenna. Amplified, directional and very cool!
Thanks - I checked this out and bought one from Camping World. It looks fairly simple to install. I think it will be a Merry Christmas present to hubby (even though he will have to install it!). I appreciate you pointing me in this direction.
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
I certainly hope you do not have the problems I have been having since September trying to get my "Jack," up and working. Dealing with the company, at first, was a complete nightmare. Within the past week, another supervisor stepped into the picture and we are working on the problem now. The problem: Voltage to roof/antenna. 2 - 3 lights at Signal Meter, TV channels scanned many times. TV disconnected from satellite antenna and installed on the Jack antenna indicating TV working. Line from Wall Mount to antenna connection bypassed from trailer and external line used to insure connection not the problem--it wasn't. Rather than taking the antenna back, they started me on a hunt that is still going on. I have been working with company over 45 days (E-bay cut-off for refund). Good Luck...I am sure it is a great product once installed and working. This just F Y I
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Sorry you are having problems. The moral of this story........ Buy LOCALLY from someone you trust and will take responsibility for failed products.

I NEVER install any part that I do not provide as I can not stand behind them!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
There's a issue with using a Jack antenna to replace the original in an Airstream because the Jack has an amplifier built in, and therefore needs 12 volts sent up the coaxial cable to power it. The Airstream is equipped with an amplifier in the switch plate, and does not provide power to the antenna. The Jack antenna will not work with the amplifier and input switch plate that is normally installed in the Airstream.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Steve
The Winegard plate is not a signal amplifier.... it is a power supply. It does infraction send 12v up to the antenna then strips the voltage from the downstream output.
Get out your dvm and check at the ant connection.

The Jack works just fine with our factory supplied wall plate.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kswelsh View Post
If you are still having problems, once you get electric and amplifier straightened out, it might be crank up is the way to go. I experienced picture fade in last CG when AS's passed our campsite, too much shiny metal reflecting signal also regular antenna wouldn't bring in signals until cranked up, unless stations were very close.
ps. antenna will bring in all signals if they are there, analog or digital
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Talked with the company today to find out what I could try next. I have used the AS Wall Mount and the one provided by Jack to no avail (they are almost identical). Correct voltage detected at antenna head. I can also get 2 - 3 lights lit on the SurLock Signal Meter, when positioning the antenna in various directions. In order to bypass everything between the Wall Mount and the antenna, I ran a line of RG6 from the Wall Mount, out the door, to the roof, and connected to the antenna. I took the SureLock Signal Meter to the antenna and connected it. Jack amplifier is in head and my reception was no different on the roof. This is the second Antenna Head that I have tried to no avail.

I mentioned to the technician supervisor everything I had done and he still didn't have any idea what the problem could be. Then, I mentioned that someone on the AS forum suggested possibly the aluminum might be the culprit. He said he never thought of that but would take it to engineering and get back to me beginning of next week. Then I asked, if this antenna will not work on the AS will I get my $115 back. He said he doubts a refund would be given.

There is nothing mentioned in their advertisements concerning make of trailer the antenna would not work on...it insinuates it is the "best," antenna on the market.

What do you think about pursuing this to a higher level if I do not get resolution from the tech I am working with. I have been working on this since September with the company and it sure has become very frustrating. In addition, it would be nice to know if anyone has used the Jack successfully on their AS?
Old 12-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I installed on in our PanAmerica.
Was a 3 minute swap. Works great!
Sitll using the old sensar head in my 34 excella.... both work exactly the same.... different coaches ( both 34'), same televisions. Same results.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
This seems like a great product to maximize reception, but I have a question: Is there a problem with the Jack antenna (the version that you replace the old batwing with and then raises /lowers) fitting next to the AC shroud when it's folded down on a 19' Airstream? I ask because if memory serves, the standard batwing folds down beside the shroud (as well as the solar panel sitting in front of the shroud).
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #12
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Dunno.... on both of mine they fold.fore and aft. There are many feet at least between antenna and anything like the a/c. Its like acres of roof up there on a triple axle!

Ill post photos from a different computer later.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #13
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Dunno.... on both of mine they fold.fore and aft. There are many feet at least between antenna and anything like the a/c. Its like acres of roof up there on a triple axle! Ill post photos from a different computer later.
Def interested!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #14
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Another thought for those interested.
If you plan to use the old existing Winegard crank up but replace the batwing/ sensar head it is a 100% direct swap. If you plan to eliminate the crank up deal and use the Jack fixed mount, the Jack needs an optional mounting plate to cover up the mess leftover from the Winegard mount. Not fancy but a clean mount. Also be aware there are 2 different batwings which look almost identical .... powered and non powered. Make sure your existing wall plate is actually a power supply not a signal amp. I do not believe AS ever used the kind utilizing a signal amp. A signal amp will not provide 12 volts to either antenna head resulting in a non working antenna. Verify this a the Winegard site by checking descreptions and part numbers.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I have the Jack installed on my Bambi II. The wiring was new, as we did a total rehab on the wiring, but it works great. No issues with the aluminum. It just looks a bit weird on a 1964 trailer, but I likes me some TV at night!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #16
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I was going to mention this issue.
Somehow the Jack looks a little out of place on older trailers. Even on my PanAmerica I think it looks odd. I'm thinking of painting it with aluminum spray paint. Somehow I think it looks like an airspeed sensor on a jet!
Old 12-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
I was going to mention this issue.
Somehow the Jack looks a little out of place on older trailers. Even on my PanAmerica I think it looks odd. I'm thinking of painting it with aluminum spray paint. Somehow I think it looks like an airspeed sensor on a jet!
I thought about spraying it with some aluminum paint, but my DH says the metal in the paint would probably interfere with the signal. Probably straight up grey would be better (not the silver that actually looks like polished aluminum). I might try it next spring.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 12-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #18
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Slight if any RF loss. I have painted other batwings with rustoleum aluminum with null effect.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Slight if any RF loss. I have painted other batwings with rustoleum aluminum with null effect.
Good to know!!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 12-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
I purchased the OA8200-White, which comes with base, tower, antenna head, Wall Mount Power Injector, SureLock signal meter with enclosure base. With my particular set up, I have tried both the Surelock and the Wall Mount that came with trailer. Both connect directly to the antenna supplying the 12v that is required. I even tried bypassing trailer installed coax by connecting to the Wall Mount, taking the coax out the door and connecting to antenna. I tried both, connecting antenna on roof and running coax out about 20 feet from the trailer with proper connections, to no avail. I am able to get the signal strength, aluminated by 3 or 4 lights, by turning the antenna different directions. In addition I have tried connecting a purchased signal booster, scanning TV channels many times, to no avail.

I am at a lossssssssss. King Controls company, maker of Jack, is checking with their engineering department to see if the aluminum is the problem. I believe I answered that question by installing away from the trailer. If there is a solution or someone proves me wrong, let me know. I have misplaced my WEGA (for the WEGA Sony TV 19") remote control, using a regular Sony remote, and I am questioning if that could be the problem when scanning. Is scanning cable/satellite different than UHF/VHF? darn, I want an antenna that works.