Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2019, 10:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
A/V challenges

I think this is perhaps the biggest frustration in modern campers.

What many appear to want is to stream netflix in 8K resolution on a giant screen with dolby surround sound, while the kids Skype with grandma up front whilst on vacation boondocking in the wide open Montana spaces, with perfect, latency-free, real-time perfection.

While we've come a long way, technology-wise, we have not arrived yet, and by the time we do, it will no longer be enough. When did someone first install a radio in a camper?!?! Wow!!! Now I can listen to the ballgame in real time! Whatever you install today will be obsolete in 3-5 years, if not sooner.

In the meantime, what works most of the time is: an OTA TV antenna, DVDs (you have to bring your selection with you ahead of time) or download and playback desired content on some sort of DVR, or invest in a DISH sat setup.
Or bring some books and a Monopoly game. (note: I am old enough to be a bit astonished that space-age remote satellite HD broadcast technology now seems old-fashioned and insufficient)

What works sometimes: hard-wired internet

What works barely: campground wi-fi

What works rarely: Cellular internet.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:23 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Healdsburg , California
This might seem off-topic. Here goes: I have an AirCube & nano M2 but want to power the AirCube from my 12VDC batteries without using the inverter. I have a 'cigarette lighter' connection inside my Sport now. Is there an adapter anyone knows about that will convert from the 'cigarette-lighter' 12VDC to a POE cable? If so, I can plug the 'cigarette-lighter' male end into my existing 12VDC and plug the POE end into my AirCube to power it (uses 24VDC 8A).
lilboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:02 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
San Francisco , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I want to say I found one at best buy that only needed one outlet....

Found one yesterday myself, unfortunately WiFi is impossibly slow right now. Time for the big round satellite dish I guess. I just want to watch one nightly news show I enjoy, yawn.
Spartanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnGayl View Post
If someone has a solution and I am just missing something, please respond. Thanks.
Airstream connected.....expensive yes, but unlimited BW from AT&T at 20mpbs down or better will cover your needs.

I have it in mine and it works pretty good......not the best in the world....but more than adequate for full time streaming if you can catch LTE where you're parked.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:24 AM   #25
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
Verizon unlimited $80 / month. With their Jet pack. $81.08 with fees and tax in FL. I also recommend a Weeboost when signal is weak. I noticed if you use the booster but don’t need it, it slows down.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:51 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bettendorf , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnGayl View Post
In my experience, using an Apple TV, Amazon Flash Drive, or "Smart TV" to access streaming content in a commercial location such as an RV park, hotel, or coffee shop is beyond frustrating. Unless the internet provided has excellent bandwidth and speed, which is usually not the case in most commercial locations, streaming video is pretty miserable. The internet provided by these places may be adequate for texting but falls far short of what is needed to stream high quality video. I have DirecTV and wanted to switch to U-Tube TV because the cost was about 1/4 as much. However I quickly learned that streamed video is very difficult to watch with frequent freezes, frame skips, loss of audio, etc. I have the Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV and "Smart Samsung TVs and watch streamed video such as Netflix and Discovery at home, but I have 65 gig download speed there and it works much of the time. But not always. If/when internet provided TV is better I will be very happy, but that's not the case right now, at least IMHO.

Another issue will be Net Neutrality, or the lack of it with the recent law change. Since internet providers are also often the source for much broadcast content (e.g., AT&T, Charter Spectrum, Xfinity, etc.) and they can now legally throttle bandwidth, I doubt they have an incentive not to. It's a shame because streaming solves so many problems, especially for a mobile population.

P.S. - in my experience the source doesn't matter either, anything streamed is iffy, be it Netflix, Amazon, NBC, CBS, Fox, Discovery or anyone. It all comes down to the quality of the internet. I suppose one could use their phone as a hot spot and access it that way, but data charges would quickly escalate as HD video is very data intensive.

If someone has a solution and I am just missing something, please respond. Thanks.

Timely subject. I’m also trying to find a way to hook up an Apple TV to the TV in my AS. I rarely have problems with streaming through my cell carrier using a cell router. Actually looking at a signal booster for my house so I can drop my cable company. That will save me money and I’ve already proven I can survive without cable. Just need another cell router for the house.
Rltports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:55 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bettendorf , Iowa
Quote:
Wired! Let’s try that again.... here is the full Re-post...

——-

In the end I decided not to move forward with the Airstream Connect plan / peplink equipment. The largest attraction by far was the AT&T plan itself - unlimited data, no throttling and no network management. The trifecta unicorn!

The downside was the mandated hardware and installation, and locked out BR1 Mk2. (I really just wanted access to the plan / SIM card so I could deploy hardware of my choosing).

I ended up moving forward with the Verizon Pre-paid plan with unlimited data, no throttling, but has network management at all times. The hardware is the current generation inseego 8800L - manufactured jetpack, a category 18 LTE device with 4x4 internal MIMO antennas and ability to plug into an external 2x2 MIMO antenna. For the exterior antenna I am using a netgear directional 2x2 MIMO based on the recommendations and testing at rvmobileinternet.com (rather than omni-directional roof-mount MIMO) that I can manually aim at the tower and then stick to the window accordingly.

For secure LAN and WIFI-WAN functions I am using my existing pepwave SOHO MKIII router with 3x3 WiFi MIMO antennas which is fixed to the front window of my unit behind the curtain. I can tether the jetpack via USB or use WIFI-WAN to connect, depending on where it is located in the trailer.

This Jetpack is latest generation LTE wireless hardware, supports an incredible range of cellular bands, carrier aggregation, 5Ghz wifi and supports theoretical wireless speeds in excess of 1 Gb/s.

Thus far, I have been very pleased with the throughput and speed, and I have not seen network management come into play as of yet, after 2 weeks of testing. I have used about 30 gigs of data thus far testing, including streaming of 5 simultaneous HD screens.

Total hardware investment was $250 after taxes (not including my SOHO which I already had, and bought used for $120), and the Verizon plan was $65/month.

In the event I cannot get signal via the Jetpack (using internal or external antennas), I have a fixed Weebost in the trailer with omni-directional exterior antenna that can be leveraged if needed.

Thanks Wulfrat. You just helped me decide which signal booster to install on my house.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:59 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bettendorf , Iowa
Quote:
I use one of these.... Apple TV, DVD player, hdmi splitter for front / rear TVs, HDMI switch for Apple vs dvd....

Wulfrat, so it sounds like you have found a good solution for connecting the Apple TV inside the Airsteam. Please share any suggestions. Thank you. Sorry if I missed one of your posts.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:49 PM   #29

1973 27' Overlander
Huntsville , Texas
Why the focus on video & TV?

Are you guys full time RVing? I am not judging, just failing to grasp the concept of recreational investments including virtual indoor entertainment when the whole world is there to explore... I may be over thinking it.
Revtexdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:11 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revtexdave View Post
Are you guys full time RVing? I am not judging, just failing to grasp the concept of recreational investments including virtual indoor entertainment when the whole world is there to explore... I may be over thinking it.

RevTex, I am full timing as I fail to grasp the concept of someone investing in a stationary home.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:16 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
I’m going to continue to update this as I explore what’s out there. It won’t be long before 5G ends the whole concept of residential wi-fi and we’ll look back on home WiFi like we do the landline phone. Until then, my Verizon unlimited plan gets me great signal. On the Apple TV (4th Gen) Hulu will not work without a “residential wi-fi” connection, even though here at the campground there are 2 bars from the residential WiFi and full bars from my Verizon hotspot. PBS and other streaming services work great from hotspotting my phone. So, I have canceled Hulu with LiveTV and next month plan to try YouTube TV, will update as my trial progresses.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:24 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clearlake , California
The Verizon Unlimited $70 Prepaid Managed Data Plan for Jetpacks ($65 with autopay) and no throttling is no longer available. It was discontinued last Tuesday. I got mine two days before and am Grandfathered in so long as I never miss a payment.
napabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:39 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Just found a free trial for YouTube TV, every live channel I want, streams perfect through 4th Gen Apple TV and my unlimited Verizon iPhone hotspotting. Finally. Now, just got to hook the Apple TV up front so it looks nice and can broadcast through either TV in the 25 Flying Cloud.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:44 PM   #34
Engineer

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
SENATOBIA , Mississippi
Internet Everywhere

https://www.starlink.com/

Elon Musk yesterday launched the first of many satellites to cover the whole earth.

It may take a few years but it is coming. It will be his main source of income to go to Mars.

Several other companies have announced plans for similar systems.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=starlink
wwwtractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:58 PM   #35
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rltports
Wulfrat, so it sounds like you have found a good solution for connecting the Apple TV inside the Airsteam. Please share any suggestions. Thank you. Sorry if I missed one of your posts.

I use a 4 port hdmi switch. One port is for the dvd, one for Apple TV, 2 open. The output of the switch feeds the splitter that was originally plugged into the DVD player. This allows me to feed Apple TV to both screens in the trailer.

Apple TV has a wireless connection to my pepwave router / private LAN / network. Pepwave connects to the internal WAN via my Verizon jet pack.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:59 PM   #36
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
TV: USB dongles/faux outlets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revtexdave View Post

I don’t full time but our airstream is our second home. Sometimes I use it as a mobile office / on video conferences all day. Sometimes after a day of hiking or cycling on a weekend we build a camp fire and after that we like to watch a family comedy with some popcorn, the kids and the dog.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:09 PM   #37
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
TV: USB dongles/faux outlets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by napabill
The Verizon Unlimited $70 Prepaid Managed Data Plan for Jetpacks ($65 with autopay) and no throttling is no longer available. It was discontinued last Tuesday. I got mine two days before and am Grandfathered in so long as I never miss a payment.

No throttling or no network managment? The VZ prepaid unlimited plan has always had network management since it was introduced in Q4 2018..... I just checked the Verizon site and they make no mention of a hard data cap where you are throttled to a specific data rate.

I have this plan and it’s great.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:12 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
I realize question wasn’t for me, but I’m OP, so, will chime in . I’m on the Verizon “above unlimited” plan. From the Verizon app I can monitor my data usage. It states, “After 75 GB your line may run at reduced speeds in heavy network traffic”. Again, just hot-spotting my iPhone, crystal clear picture today for the SEC tournament on this cold rainy rural Western Colorado day with the shades pulled back watching it snow up on the mountain. (Must use 4th gen Apple TV, don’t need the more expensive 4K Apple TV unless somehow you have a 4K TV in your AS, but it must be 4th edition, the one with the new black remote). Hulu live tv won’t operate from hot-spot, YouTube TV is more forward thinking and works like a charm). No big dish to haul around, yay for 2019.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
I wonder why people buy Jetpacks? Why not just hotspot your phone?
Old 05-27-2019, 11:53 AM   #40
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Jet pack gives you a second phone line in, phone is ready to use for emergency phone calls.