Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #41
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
TV: USB dongles/faux outlets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanguy
I wonder why people buy Jetpacks? Why not just hotspot your phone?

The latest jetpack technology (inseego (8800l) for verizon and netgear (nighthalk) for att) covers a broader range of cellular bands and have 4x4 mimo antennas - and therefore perform better for reception + speed.

I have a weebost as well - but it will actually reduce performance in many cases as it’s only a single antenna vs 4.

We now only use the weeboost when there is zero reception on other devices.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:49 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
San Francisco , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
The latest jetpack technology (inseego (8800l) for verizon and netgear (nighthalk) for att) covers a broader range of cellular bands and have 4x4 mimo antennas - and therefore perform better for reception + speed.

I have a weebost as well - but it will actually reduce performance in many cases as it’s only a single antenna vs 4.

We now only use the weeboost when there is zero reception on other devices.

Appreciate the response and good to know.
Spartanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:53 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanguy View Post
I wonder why people buy Jetpacks? Why not just hotspot your phone?
We have the Verizon unlimited jetpack plan, now no longer available to new customers, and ATT on our phones. We use the ATT phones as hotspots for times when it’s faster that the Verizon. We prefer not to have the internet walk out the door with someone’s phone. The truly unlimited data of Verizon hotspots under that plan make streaming possible where we have to think three times about burning up that much data on the phones. Even though the AT&T plan is called “unlimited” it really isn’t.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:54 AM   #44
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
My setup is similar to daleyocum's. I have ATT via iphone 7 on daughter's business plan. iPhone 7 can be setup as a hotspot, but I would quickly run out of data, which affects the other users as well, and it gets very expensive when exceeding the plan's very small limit, 15GB, I think. So, for data I rely on the now unavailable unlimited $80 (of $75 autopay) Verizon plan using a less attractive Eclipse MHS900L. So, my data is unlimited in the sense that there is no cap and its not throttled at all, but always network managed.

It recently was taken off the table by Verizon, but as long I don't let it lapse (or miss a payment by even one day) it is grandfathered in.

It is possible, when WiFi calling is turned on, to make a calls over this Jetpack, or any available WiFi network that allows it. I cannot receive calls via the associated number on this plan.

I stream Prime and Netflix content with a Fire Stick, but am contemplating just using an iPad when traveling. It would normally just be me. A nice clip / holder / mount would make that work.

Clint