Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2019, 07:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
TiVo - Anyone take their box with them?

Not that we watch much television on the road, but over-the-air reception is spotty, show selection is poor, and DVD's are something we're just not buying or renting anymore. And no, we don't stream.

We have a TiVo Bolt in our home with lots of movies already recorded on it. It is incredibly small and light weight, especially compared to the ones we had a few years ago.

My question is not will it work, because I've already found a spot for it and tried it in our van. My question is will it survive the beating it will be subjected to on the road?

The TiVo It will be powered down while driving so supposedly the hard drive will park itself, but it was designed for the home environment and only has to survive FedEx delivery.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Not that we watch much television on the road, but over-the-air reception is spotty, show selection is poor, and DVD's are something we're just not buying or renting anymore. And no, we don't stream.

We have a TiVo Bolt in our home with lots of movies already recorded on it. It is incredibly small and light weight, especially compared to the ones we had a few years ago.

My question is not will it work, because I've already found a spot for it and tried it in our van. My question is will it survive the beating it will be subjected to on the road?

The TiVo It will be powered down while driving so supposedly the hard drive will park itself, but it was designed for the home environment and only has to survive FedEx delivery.
I’m sure it would be fine if powered down. Verify, though that it will work without talking to the internet, however. I seem to remember trying that at one point and the TiVo insisted it needed to talk to the mothership. That may be different now or maybe not.

I’ve gone to just downloading shows onto my phone through Netflix or, now, Hulu. I then just connect it through HDMI to the TV.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Yes, the Tivo will work and will playback whatever is stored without any connection to Tivo central. It just won't be able to record new programming once it no longer knows about upcoming shows.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
I’ve gone to just downloading shows onto my phone through Netflix or, now, Hulu. I then just connect it through HDMI to the TV.
I didn't even know you could do that.
On Amazon I see cables that connect USB-C to HDMI. I learned something new today.

I record movies onto a 3TB drive and plug that into a small media player and then to the HDMI on the TV. You can get a LOT of movies on a 3TB drive. I leave my TiVo Roamio VOX at home. I take a small Roku with us but it's rare that you have enough free WiFi bandwidth to stream anything.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:14 AM   #5
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
We have transfer a pack of movies to our portable harddrive and use the HTML connection on laptop and TV - works great!!!
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:59 AM   #6
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
It is a good time to be alive. There are soooooo many options.

Short Answer: "Should" survive the journey, then again, it is has moving parts, the HDD.

Options:
1. AppleTV
2. FireStick
3. Download movies to a USB and use the Blu-Ray player to play it
4. Download on your phone and mirror it to either AppleTV or FireStick
5. Download on your phone and use a wire to connect to your TV via USB-C to HDMI type adapters

Good to be alive.

My setup: I have a wireless Router I use that has a USB which I connect my USB HDD with pre-loaded movies. Then I have both my FireSticks connect to the WiFi and access the media drive from my Router. I use the ASUS because I can also connect my Android phone and use it as a hotspot (more powerful that using my phone).

PM me if you need help.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I didn't even know you could do that.
On Amazon I see cables that connect USB-C to HDMI. I learned something new today.

I record movies onto a 3TB drive and plug that into a small media player and then to the HDMI on the TV. You can get a LOT of movies on a 3TB drive. I leave my TiVo Roamio VOX at home. I take a small Roku with us but it's rare that you have enough free WiFi bandwidth to stream anything.
Yes, with the iPhone you just get the Apple Lightning to HDMI adapter (Get the genuine Apple one) and plug it into HDMI for the TV. I’ve removed the DVD player so I use that HDMI connector to the TV.

I was hoping I could connect wirelessly to an Apple TV and Airplay the phones content but some shows block that for licensing reasons.

I like using my phone (with 256GB of storage) to download and store content because then I can get new shows whenever we are in some random town and have good WiFi.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:36 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The risk on the Tivo is the hard disk in side it. They are *not* designed for high shock / high vibration environments. It may do just fine. It also could die an early death .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:24 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
I've done this a few times. When the TiVo has gotten full, I've brought it along and watched in the trailer. Works pretty seamlessly. With only the power adapter to unplug and bring along (my TVs at home and in the AS already have HDMI cables/spots waiting), it was a fairly quick/simple process.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Thanks for the replies. I'm committed to trying it and just hope my Tivo survives the trip. Pretty sure it will since it came by UPS.

About a month ago I received my Renogy 3000W Inverter/Charger. I didn't know Ace Ventura was still making deliveries but it must have been him by the way the packaging was smashed. But the inverter works!

Old 10-18-2019, 05:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I record movies onto a 3TB drive and plug that into a small media player and then to the HDMI on the TV. You can get a LOT of movies on a 3TB drive.
The movies are recorded as a compressed file, no? About 8 gig per movie?
MPEG4?
I've never been happy with the resolution of movies I've copied on my iPad. they seem to have horizontal lines through them, especially fast motion like a concert or action movie.
Is there a solution?
(Expand)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 7.16.40 PM.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	354472  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Mount Dora , stevenwilliams
We use PlayOn to record TV show and movies to external drive and then plug that into our Roku which connects to the TV. Works great.
sburrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
The movies are recorded as a compressed file, no? About 8 gig per movie?
MPEG4?
I've never been happy with the resolution of movies I've copied on my iPad. they seem to have horizontal lines through them, especially fast motion like a concert or action movie.
Is there a solution?
(Expand)
I back up my DVDs to a 3 TB drive using DVDFab. It creates a .iso file which is an image file of the DVD. When you play that back through a media player it's just like having the DVD in a DVD player. It's not compressed and the size will depend on the size of the DVD you're backing up (5 to 8 gb usually). I don't back up Blu-rays. My media player is pretty old and I'm not sure if it will read a .mkv file. I can also play them through my laptop (also old ).

If you're getting horizontal lines it may be the copy protection. What are you using to copy them to the hard drive? Anything that compresses a movie file is going to lose some quality, like an mp3 file loses fidelity from the original source. If you're using a utility / app you should contact the developer or maybe try a different software.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote