Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2021, 07:55 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thumping sound from Sony DSX-S310BTX

Hi All,

The Sony stereo in our 2012 Flying Cloud frequently makes a rapid loud thumping noise through the speakers. It happens sometimes when I turn it on and sometimes when I switch sources.

The sound is quite loud and is not affected by turning the volume down. Sometimes it goes away if I switch sources or modes. Sometimes I have to turn it off.

The stereo is paired with my iPhone 8, but it happens on other sources like CD.

I have tried resetting the unit several times which has not fixed the problem.

Any suggestions appreciated!
barrettjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
You should make a video so we can actually hear what you are when it happens...noise can be anything.

I know when I turn on the lights with a dimmer and the volume is high enough..I can hear buzzing...when I turn the lights off....it stops....so while not what you're describing, noise can be anything..... shoot some vids so we can better assist unless someone has specifically seen that issue.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Possibly signal interference. I had this issue with my home system and finally tracked it to my cell phone (even though the cell phone wasn't paired with the system). Whenever the phone was sending or receiving data, the subwoofer would make a "rapid fire" sound. Have someone text you and see if what you are talking about happens when the text is coming in.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:32 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thanks for the replies.

Good suggestion on recording a video. I will do that.

Good idea on it being the phone. However, I turned off all our devices and it still happened. "rapid fire" is a good description.

I did realize that it is the same sound it makes when I turn the unit completely off, although then it just makes that sound one time.
Old 08-01-2021, 01:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettjl View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Good suggestion on recording a video. I will do that.

Good idea on it being the phone. However, I turned off all our devices and it still happened. "rapid fire" is a good description.

I did realize that it is the same sound it makes when I turn the unit completely off, although then it just makes that sound one time.
If it's definitely that "rapid fire" sound, be sure you aren't overlooking some other device that might be doing it. Phones should be *completely* off, and any other things like radios, tablets, computers, wifi routers, etc. Any of those things could be creating signal interference pulses.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 04:48 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Found it.

Thanks kidjedi, I'm pretty sure it was a device as you suggested. I had forgotten about the RV Nanny pet monitor. Once I turned that off, the problem didn't happen anymore.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettjl View Post
Thanks kidjedi, I'm pretty sure it was a device as you suggested. I had forgotten about the RV Nanny pet monitor. Once I turned that off, the problem didn't happen anymore.
Which means the system has a susceptibility problem. Not much you can do about that unless the system is rewired and shielded against such interference.

At least it sounds like you found the source.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote