Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2023, 07:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Maryville , Tennessee
television output to stereo speakers

On my 2023 airstream classic, on my television settings I directed output from the TV to optical but I get no sound through the speakers. Can anybody talk me through how to get the television to play on the stereo speakers?
Otto Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 08:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
I read someone say that Airstream stopped installing that feature. I don't know if that was for all models.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 08:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
My 2020 International had instructions in the owner’s manual to play television sound through the stereo speakers, but it didn’t work. I initially bought a bluetooth dongle that worked okay. Ultimately I added a sound bar to the television and that was much better.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 11:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Airstream used to bootleg a connection directly the sound board in the TV which allowed audio to be piped through the coach stereo system. That's how it was wired with the Samsung unit in our previous trailer. I don't know if it was the switch to LG TV's or Airstream just tired of doing the modification but by about 2020 it was no longer possible to get TV audio over the stereo system.

I tried different mods to get audio over the speakers in our Globetrotter but the audio and video were always very slightly out of sync which I found unacceptable. Since we don't watch much TV when camping we now just use the built in TV speakers. If we spent more time in the trailer, I'd probably go with a soundbar.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 12:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
If you have an Apple TV, you can Bluetooth the sound through the stereo. It works great! Anything you watch through the Apple TV, It doesn't help with the DVD player.
Old 03-05-2023, 06:17 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Maryville , Tennessee
Big helps, guys, thanks!
Otto Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 08:31 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Minneapolis , Minnesota
We have a 2023 Classic 33' so I can speak to that model. There are two ways to do what you want.

The optical output from the LG projection TV runs across the coach to the adjacent Bose speaker. You could get a short optical interconnect, unplug the existing one, and connect the LG to the Fusion radio. This would be easy once, but hard to shift back-and-forth to the Bose. So, for less than $20, you can get a "Digital Optical Splitter" (Amazon) that will let you connect both so you can turn one of the two speaker systems off or use the Fusion's speakers in the bedroom and the Bose for the projection screen. I may do this.

The other way is to connect the LG's headphone out port to the Fusion's RCA inputs. This option needs a cheap headphone to RCA adapter. The wires are behind the Fusion's plate (I can't remember if they are already RCA-terminated, apologies if they are not, you'd have to terminate them). This option would let you use the LG's remote control to toggle the TVs audio output, which could also be handy. The downside is there's a lot more disassembly of the Fusion's mounting required.

Pro tip, which I've seen elsewhere in our community's posts; the two sides of the Fusion radio faceplate pop off. That's where the screws are to pull the whole unit.

M & K
Airstream Classic 33, 2022.5
Ram 3500 Ltd + Propride Hitch
BreadNCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 08:56 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Kingston , WA
Whee! Newbie here but this is a question I can actually help with!

We have a 2023 FC 25 FBT and bought this tiny DVD player:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158BDP...BDP-S6700.html

We know internet availability is limited or nonexistent in many places we plan to camp, plus we have a nice collection of movies on DVD (including The Long Long Trailer, of course!). In addition to DVDs, this unit runs apps so we have our Prime, Netflix, etc. for when we do have internet. And best of all, it has Bluetooth so you can direct the sound through the stereo speakers (or headphones, for those times when I want to watch Lord of the Rings for the 437th time and my husband does not). Only slight nit is that you can’t pair the TV with the Sony remote, but that’s because the TVs in the Airstream aren’t one of your standard brands.
WillowRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 11:06 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Truckee , California
It is possible. After enjoying this feature in our 2016, we were bummed to see Airstream stopped doing this when we got our new 2021. I am not sure exactly how they did it, but our dealer service dept. (Bay Area Airstream) was able to figure out how to make this work for minimal work/cost.
SGandMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 01:16 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
SEATTLE , WA
We have Caravel 22FB. There's a pretty simple hack of if you just want surround sound from the DVD (not on broadcast TV)

You just need a digital to analog converter like this one: https://a.co/d/6Wu4zZV and digital audio cable like this: https://a.co/d/25Jl1JA

Run the digital cable from the optical out of the boy-ray player into the input of the digital converter, then use basic rca cables to go from the converter to Aux in of the stereo/JBL. The converter is powered through a USB cable, which youd power through the stereo USB port or a wall plug. Good luck.
bcheever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 02:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Slater View Post
On my 2023 airstream classic, on my television settings I directed output from the TV to optical but I get no sound through the speakers. Can anybody talk me through how to get the television to play on the stereo speakers?
Isn't it just a pushbutton selection on your radio/reciever on/off volume control knob: Radio station or AUX shows in the display? Thats how mine is wired on my 28' FC. Aux is the TV...input. If I want Blue Tooth from another source, the handheld remote is easiest to use plus you can disconnect the rear speakers, if you wish easier with the remote.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 09:57 AM   #12
SHE SHED

2019 30' Classic
Brooklyn , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Slater View Post
II have a 2019 Classic, and on our Polk Audio select AUX and your TV should come out of the sound system with no additional wires needed.
trikdacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 02:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikdacy View Post
II have a 2019 Classic, and on our Polk Audio select AUX and your TV should come out of the sound system with no additional wires needed.
Doesn't work on new trailers.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:17 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Camas , Washington
Yes the did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
I read someone say that Airstream stopped installing that feature. I don't know if that was for all models.
I just asked my service department to hook it up to get the subwoofer as i had in my 2017. They said they cannot with the new stereo head unit
Dick tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:44 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Ours is a KISS solution.
These sitting on either side of the TV or the Mac pro.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C515E454-7F0D-477C-870C-CE16C29357E7_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	429094  
Old 03-13-2023, 09:40 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Ours is a KISS solution.

Bob

[emoji631]

Excellent solution - with enough whiskey nobody cares about the sound! Oh, you meant the plug-in speakers…
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 11:28 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
2023 27' International
Osprey , Florida
Your ability to get TV sound to play over the stereo speakers will vary with year and model.

We have a 2023 International 23 FB Twin.

Our roof mounted broadcast TV antenna only worked for only a few weeks, so now we stream YouTube TV using a cellular hotspot and a T-Mobile TVision (android) streaming device which has bluetooth capability that pairs with the factory stereo.

Of course, the same streaming device allows us to stream YouTube, Netflix, Hulu etc. Anything streamed with this device allows the audio to play through the factory installed Clarion CMM-20 stereo system via bluetooth.

In our model / year there is a HDMI port in a overhead locker near the stereo. This is where our streaming device is plugged in -- the other end of which is plugged into the TV where the HDMI cable / connector comes out of the trailer wall.

If we were using the roof antenna and regular broadcast TV, I don't see any way to pair our TV with the stereo as our model TV lacks any bluetooth capability.
Old 03-14-2023, 09:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Ours is a KISS solution.

Bob
����
Love the Bose speakers...always quality sound and with the Bluetooth technology, easy to move around. We use the Bose SoundLink Color Bluetooth Speaker II with our AS; easy to move around and great sound, plus bluetooth reception either with our phone or using the Clarion radio inside the AS. When traveling by air, we take along the smaller Bose SoundLink Micro Bluetooth Speaker. Both have great sound quality and good sounding bass. It's all good with Bose.. (whisky optional)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 11:21 AM   #19
Man of means by no means

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Midland , Georgia
Not on the FC's...

We picked up our 2023 FC less than a month ago. During the orientation I specifically asked if the TV's can push the audio thru the speakers and was told no. Just guessing it may be the same on the Classics.
Old 03-20-2023, 12:32 PM   #20
SHE SHED

2019 30' Classic
Brooklyn , New York
I guess Airstream did change this. On my 2019 Classic with the Polk audio unit, I just selected AUX on the Polk and the TV came out both the TV and speakers with the volume level being independent on either the TV or Polk.
trikdacy is offline   Reply With Quote