RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-19-2020, 08:31 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Rhode Island
SwitchAware project completed

So I really like the LED thread, but I was really gun shy about drilling holes and trying to hot wire the LEDs into the spade connectors.

I saw a few threads that show the water heater conversion using SeeYouDownTheRoad's SwitchAware replacement switches.

The installation is very easy and can even be done without drilling a single hole.

The basic idea is you replace the switch....put the two wires on the new switch...and then run the "ground" to the frame or other ground point of the trailer.

Since AS is all hand done installing the switch banks, their hand cuts leave a lot to be desired as they are manually routed out....which leaves lots of variations of screw hole distances and entry points......so basically, you can use the ring connector provided and then bend it 90 degrees and use the installation screw of the switch mechanism and then voila, the switch is grounded and mechanically secured to the trailer.....no new drill holes.

The switches can replace almost every single switch in the trailer.....EXCEPT any light that has a dimmer function.........why? Because those are a different switch profile with the connection tabs. Those circuits have a physical PCB and the attach points do not match SwitchAwares profile.

So you can do "most" of the trailer if your up to it and like that style.

However, I'm never satisfied and figured out how to make them all work....it requires modifying the SwitchAwares connectors and hotwiring it physically to the PCB of the dimmer circuit....certainly not for the faint of heart as you could easily damage the boards and then have no lights!

Here are some pictures of it all.....enjoy.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200809_154332.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	376296   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200809_154310.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	376297  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200809_154241.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	376298   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200809_154222.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	376299  

kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:51 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Pace , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
So I really like the LED thread, but I was really gun shy about drilling holes and trying to hot wire the LEDs into the spade connectors.

I saw a few threads that show the water heater conversion using SeeYouDownTheRoad's SwitchAware replacement switches.

The installation is very easy and can even be done without drilling a single hole.

The basic idea is you replace the switch....put the two wires on the new switch...and then run the "ground" to the frame or other ground point of the trailer.

Since AS is all hand done installing the switch banks, their hand cuts leave a lot to be desired as they are manually routed out....which leaves lots of variations of screw hole distances and entry points......so basically, you can use the ring connector provided and then bend it 90 degrees and use the installation screw of the switch mechanism and then voila, the switch is grounded and mechanically secured to the trailer.....no new drill holes.

The switches can replace almost every single switch in the trailer.....EXCEPT any light that has a dimmer function.........why? Because those are a different switch profile with the connection tabs. Those circuits have a physical PCB and the attach points do not match SwitchAwares profile.

So you can do "most" of the trailer if your up to it and like that style.

However, I'm never satisfied and figured out how to make them all work....it requires modifying the SwitchAwares connectors and hotwiring it physically to the PCB of the dimmer circuit....certainly not for the faint of heart as you could easily damage the boards and then have no lights!

Here are some pictures of it all.....enjoy.

Chris
Great write up! Wheres the best place to get the new switches?
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Great write up! Wheres the best place to get the new switches?
This is where you get them:

https://seeyoudowntheroad.com/pages/switch-aware
Old 09-24-2020, 03:34 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Pace , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Thanks! Do they come in different colors?
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Thanks! Do they come in different colors?
No, just Red as shown. The led source may be white (unsure), but the switch body/lens is red...and I've had a hard time sourcing the ones for the dimmer circuits to drop in replace.....so it's one of those things.....what you see is what you get.