Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2024, 10:08 PM   #1
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Starlink Antenna Pole

A few weeks ago we popped for a Gen 3 Starlink setup using their Roam plan. So far everything has worked better than our optimistic expectations; but I don’t like the idea of the antenna sitting low on the ground. It’s too easy to step on or run over it. So I decided to fabricate a 10’ antenna pole. Here are some pics of the components and the almost-finished pole.

I’m using a 10’ x 1 1/2” stainless conduit along with fittings bought at Home Depot. I couldn’t figure out a way to cleanly mount standoffs on the exterior, particularly as I plan to set up the pole in different places on our trailer based on location of obstructions. I hit on the idea of using industrial suction cups I found at Harbor Freight. So far, they work great, and allow me to locate the pole on our Airstream exterior to avoid obstructions. Until I can figure out a better way, I using u bolts to secure the pole to the suction cups. These fitting allow me to rotate the pole for proper antenna orientation. The 10’ pole is cut in the middle for easy stowing when traveling, and there’s a coupling the joins them when set up.

We camp off grid frequently in western forests where the Starlink-required clear view of the sky may be a ways from our trailer. My plan is to buy a 150’ antenna cable and make a tripod support for setting up the pole remotely. Stay tuned ..,

Photo 1. The assembled pole.
Photo 2. Starlink’s pole adapter required a 2” diameter pole.
Photo 3. Two conduit fitting from Home Depot that mate a 1 1/2” pole to a 2” threaded coupling that seats in the Starlink antenna adapter. The threaded adapter is a casting that allows me to really cinch down the antenna Allen screw so the connection is rigid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1112.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	567.6 KB
ID:	442687   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1107.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	442688  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1110.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	442689  
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 07:59 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

HOLLAND , NY
Great idea. Ive previously used those to secure a privacy tent I made for an outdoor shower. Plan to use on clothes drying rack I made. Try to find a way to use them to stabilize a colapsable ladder when going roof bound
Forester2 is offline   Reply With Quote