Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2018, 10:29 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB International
Northfield , Vermont
single stage replacement w/ multi stage converter

We have a 2014 25-ft Flying Cloud. This coming summer we plan to do some extensive traveling out West, etc. Our preparations include new, AGM batteries, and possibly replacing our single stage converter with a multi stage converter. Our single stage is a Parallax 7300 Series, Model 7355, 55-amp, for 30 amp service. We've read that the single stage units can "fry" batteries, or just fail generally. What is the prevailing wisdom? (1) Are single stage converters a risk factor? (2) What make and model multi stage converter would you folks suggest? (3) Who is a reliable source from which to purchase the multi stage converter? Any info you can provide is greatly appreciated! Safe travels - Jerry in VT
Jerry in VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry in VT View Post
We have a 2014 25-ft Flying Cloud. This coming summer we plan to do some extensive traveling out West, etc. Our preparations include new, AGM batteries, and possibly replacing our single stage converter with a multi stage converter. Our single stage is a Parallax 7300 Series, Model 7355, 55-amp, for 30 amp service. We've read that the single stage units can "fry" batteries, or just fail generally. What is the prevailing wisdom? (1) Are single stage converters a risk factor? (2) What make and model multi stage converter would you folks suggest? (3) Who is a reliable source from which to purchase the multi stage converter? Any info you can provide is greatly appreciated! Safe travels - Jerry in VT

Easy DIY upgrade. All your questions can be answered at http://www.bestconverter.com. Did the upgrade last year on my 22.
Good luck!
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
I just put in the PD 4655 in the same exact 25 ft trailer
Took about an hour and cost $197
I'm very happy with it
I keep my trailer in a poke barn about an hour away and I can plug it in and not worry about it
I'm s been very cold in he Midwest and when I check the batteries they both are at 13.3
I would make the conversion
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Agree

Another thumbs up for PD series converters and www.bestconverter.com
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
I would also suggest you price the Progressive unit on Amazon. I did not have a good experience returning a defective unit to Randy at Best, even though the factory said it was defective and to return it. I ended up having to pay the $50.00 shipping costs to return a defective unit. At least with Amazon, returns are easy and there is no dispute regarding shipping charges.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #6
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
X2 on the PD4655. Drop in replacement.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Plenty of very detailed videos on YouTube to guide you.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Randy at Best converter? I've heard nothing but good about him. Was the unit past warranty? At Amazon your allowed 10% returns before your blocked. I found Randy over 100.00 cheaper on 200w Zamp suitcase solar panels than Amazon.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry in VT View Post
. I have never had any problems with mine...I add a little water once a year....and mine is a 2013....same as the 04 ...no problem..just check the battery water once in a while....you can spend money on everything....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Randy at Best converter? I've heard nothing but good about him. Was the unit past warranty? At Amazon your allowed 10% returns before your blocked. I found Randy over 100.00 cheaper on 200w Zamp suitcase solar panels than Amazon.
Long story, but the summary is that they were less than helpful in first identifying that I had a defective unit then in the return process. I installed the unit as soon as I received it and the fan ran continuously from the moment I connected it. After talking with Randy, who said it was operating properly, I ended up calling the factory directly and they said it was a defective unit and to return it for a new one. It was not out of warranty. This all occurred within about 30 days after the initial purchase.

I ended up having to pay the shipping charge to return a defective unit to Best, then they delayed in issuing a refund for the unit until I sent them an email. I have never been reimbursed for the shipping nor was there any offer to do so.

I purchased the replacement through Amazon. It was actually cheaper and included a return label if I needed it. The new unit works perfectly.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote