Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2015, 01:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rockbridge Baths , Virginia
Satellite Install

Looking to install satellite receiver in 2015 Classic. I plan to use portable antenna and would like to know if anyone has had any experience in this. The cabinet where the DVD player is located looks complicated to disassemble and it appears that the receiver will have to be placed on top to be able to control. I believe I will need a 2x4 hdmi switch and another outlet for the receiver.
SC RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:31 PM   #2
TonyG

2015 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
We have a DishNetwork Receiver placed on top of the DVD Player. The Television has a another separate HDMI port available (we use the HDMI 3 port on the TV for Satellite) so you don't necessarily need an HDMI switch.

Right now we just run the cord outside the cabinet to the Television when we watch satellite, however, it appears the cord could be routed down the same path in the wall as the DVD HDMI cord. I attempted this once with no success, but I believe it can be done. As soon as it cools off in in Arizona, I plan to get that done myself.

The top of the cabinet to the DVD comes off with four screws. You are right in that you will need a 2 to 1 power plug as there are only two inverter outlets available in the cabinet with 3 items to be powered (DVD, External Television Air Antenna, and the Satellite Receiver).
TonyGuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:30 PM   #3
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I addded a Winegard Travl'r to the roof of my Classic. Realize you're going to use the portable antenna, but we really like having the DirecTV. You are right about difficulty in accessing the area above the BluRay, which is the logical spot for your sat receiver. Because every cabinet is installed as a unit, it is virtually impossible to access that space without removing the refrigerator -- which is (as you know) in the adjacent compartment. Well, almost. There's another cabinet that interferes -- the one that holds the TV. So, you have multiple layers of wood to get through. (Don't ask me how I know this.) Because I was installing 600W of solar panels, and a 30 amp inverter, it was necessary for me to remove the refrigerator to access the space above what you can get to from the outdoor compartment. Unless you are really comfortable with removing panels, wiring, and hold down screws (fridge), I wouldn't tackle this project. It is also VERY, VERY heavy -- and I got pretty sweaty just thinking about chipping the cherry hardwood. Doing a custom install up in that cabinet is just not easy.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:00 PM   #4
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
SC you simply need to get to the outdoor coax which is tucked into the DVD player mounting case. I put the RX on the shelf. Bought a power strip and set it to the right of the DVD mounting base.

Depending on which HDMI switch is installed you may or may not need a larger switch. Only way to know for sure is to remove the 4 screws holding the DVD mount and see what is installed. If you need another switch then Amazon. What you probably need is a 2 X ??.

My original switch went bad and the switch I got from AS as a replacement was a 2x4. I use three inputs, DVD, Sat and a cable to hook to my iPad for movies. Pretty nice unit as each TV can watch a different feed.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #5

Town & Country , Missouri
Smile

I encountered the same problem installing a Dish Network receiver in our 2016 Classic. The Owner's manual says that there is a satellite pig tail and a 2 pin power/ground connector under the Blu-Tay player. No power but the satellite pig tail was there. I disconnected the HDMI going from the blue-ray player into the splitter and connected the receiver instead. I connected another HDMI cable to blu-ray player and kept it on top of the receiver and we will connect it into one of the HDMI inputs on the TV if we actually use the Blu-Ray player (which we have not as of yet).

Chris Barclay
2016 Classic 30
2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 Diesel
chrisstl is offline   Reply With Quote