Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
La Follette , Tennessee
Satelite ISP

Hello:

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a high speed wireless Internet service provider?

Thanks,

Kevin and Debbie Edwards
Jetstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:16 AM   #2
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
We use Verizon wireless broadband/Nationwide Access using an AirCard. the cost of the service is $59 with a 2yr contract -- we've used them for a few years now. They have recently upgraded the speed on their network. In areas with Broadband support our speeds are running 1500-1900kbps download and ~400kbps upload -- pretty competitive with DSL. Where Broadband service is not available you get Nationwide access with speeds in the 2x to 3x of normal dial-up. We recently went on a 5000 mile trip around the country and found only one place (in the mountains of Utah) whee we couldn't get service through the Aircard. I would have to9 say we're pretty happy with it.
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I'm using the same set up as Grizzy and am also very pleased with the coverage. I also use a dual band amplifier with an external antenna, which significantly improves the signal in the fringe areas. I just traveled from Delaware to Perry, GA, and don't recall losing signal the entire trip. Much of it was broadband.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studebakerbo
Hello:

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a high speed wireless Internet service provider?

Thanks,

Kevin and Debbie Edwards

Location, location, location. If you intend to use it primarily in one location, the deciding factor should be who provides the best service at that location. We travel widely and use verizon because of their extensive coverage. It might not be good at your primary location however.

There is a yahoo Internet-by-cellphone group with lots of infomation.

On edit: Just noticed you subject line says Satellite Internet. Fixed location or mobile?

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
La Follette , Tennessee
We want to travel with it.

Kevin
Jetstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:47 PM   #6
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Satellite. Way too expensive. Go with a "air card". I have Verison. They have the best coverage out west.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:02 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We use Axcess Mobile Link from Alltel. It operates the same as an aircard, but interfaces your cell phone with the note book pc. We formerly had the Alltel aircard which worked well for $60/mo for unlimited use. When the cell phone version became available for $25/mo for unilimited use, we swithched over. We just returned froma 8,500 mile/41 day Airstream trip to the great Northwest. If we had a cell signal, we had internet. It worked in every state between Florida and Idaho.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
There are also wireless(802.11) routers available that you stick the air card into, to allow more than one computer on at a time and could allow you to place the air card outside the AS for better coverage. We have used them at event scenes with good success.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
What's the latest on Internet connections?

Hey all...I have read through most of the threads having to do with connecting to the internet on the road...most of the posts are older, so I wondered what the current thinking is and what's working best for folks. From what I can glean the three best options are (1) an aircard for the laptop through a cell phone company (Sprint, Verizon, Alltel have been mentioned)... (2) "Internet in Motion" system that also connects through the three wireless companies above...and (3) satelite internet systems. Option (1) seems to be the most economcal but maybe the speed is not great...option (2) sounds really great, but costly at least to set up and install, and (3) satelite...is probably just as costly. We have a 2006 Safari LS SE 19' Bambi and I can't imagine a big internet dish (option 3) on top of it... I have my own graphic design business and I want to be able to work on the road...easing into semi-retirement, spending as much time on the road as possible, without my clients suffering as a result. I can have my studio calls forwarded seamlessly to my cell phone so clients don't even know I'm not there, but I also need to be able to get online and conduct business with the same ease and seamlessness. This will require graphic file transfers and lots of email to communicate with both clients and printers. If you can let me know your thoughts and what current costs are like, I'd be forever grateful! Happy trails!...TB (PS: I have Alltel cell service now.)
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Cell phone services gets faster and faster. The big carriers have multiple networks with differing speeds. (a knock on iPhonet is that it is on a slow network). It is a matter of where you will be which will determine which network is available. All the carriers have coverage maps for their various networks on their websites.

A forum member (Silverbear) has an Internet satellite dish on a tripod which he carries in his tow vehicle and sets up when he gets to a stopping point.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
After using it for work,and getting a chance to test it out on the road on the way to and from Georgia, I am fairly impressed with the Verizon 595 (Sierra Wireless) aircard. It gets EVDO Rev.A broadband service, and when a broadband connection is not available, it reverts to the National Access service, which isn't real fast, but is slightly better than dial-up. During the trip, I was surprised to find broadband service was available in and around most good sized towns and cities. The speed wasn't quite like my cable at home, but it was way fast enough to do anything I needed, including quickly uploading large files. Two days ago, I purchased a Verizon USB 720 (Novatel) aircard for personal use, and it's every bit as impressive as the 595, and has the advantage of being able to connect to any computer with a USB port. Both aircards have a connection for an external antenna, which I find essential to improve the signal in fringe areas, in vehicles, and especially when enshrouded in aluminum. It also allows for the connection of a cellular signal booster, which I've found to work very well.

Currently, the USB aircard cost $60, and the monthly fee is about $60 for unlimited nationwide access because I'm an existing Verizon customer. If I recall, they're running a promotion where you can try the service for 30 days, and cancel without any deactivation fees if it doesn't work out.

Best of luck in your decision, and if you need further information about my cellular aircards or signal boosters, don't hesitate to ask.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks, Guy99 and SilverRanger...your input is most useful and appreciated... I am edging toward getting "wired" on the road...can't wait till it's a reality and I'm that much closer to be untethered to the homestead.

Happy Trails...TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote