RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-31-2020, 02:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
RV GPS question

Has anyone got comments on an RV GPS system? I favor Garmin but their site is quite confusing when it comes to comparisons between models.

I am switching to an Airstream motor home. The unit I would like should be smart and support a backup camera.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:35 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
DFW , Texas
I use a garmin rv785 with dash cam (for current TT, but previously used in our DP). No complaints except the garmin basecamp software takes some getting used too.

In the past, I had a Rand McNally rv gps. Personally, i donít think it comes close to the Garmin.
no_worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I use a Garmin RV GPS and I use the backup camera with it. I have nothing to compare it to. We mostly like it. But...I have also had quite a few problems. Routing me off an interstate or main route in city traffic to a loop and around back on where I got off. Several times. I saw 3 state capitols I was not looking for towing the trailer last summer. Not just an isolated incident. Campgrounds listed that are not there. It will willingly route you through a field. You got to learn to use it and to learn to ignore it also. Learn to ignore it a lot. Basically I may be describing faults with the base GPS map system, not just Garmin. The is what my aircraft mechanic son tells me. I will replace it with another Garmin though. If only so as not to have to learn another system. I know I will never really trust it.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 25' Safari
2018 26' Flying Cloud
2019 25' Flying Cloud
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I use a Garmin RV GPS and I use the backup camera with it. I have nothing to compare it to. We mostly like it. But...I have also had quite a few problems. Routing me off an interstate or main route in city traffic to a loop and around back on where I got off. Several times. I saw 3 state capitols I was not looking for towing the trailer last summer. Not just an isolated incident. Campgrounds listed that are not there. It will willingly route you through a field. You got to learn to use it and to learn to ignore it also. Learn to ignore it a lot. Basically I may be describing faults with the base GPS map system, not just Garmin. The is what my aircraft mechanic son tells me. I will replace it with another Garmin though. If only so as not to have to learn another system. I know I will never really trust it.
Yep...ditto, mostly! I/we use a 2 yr old Garmin 'RV' GPS and as Bill says you need to take some of its suggestions with a grain of salt. Over all it is our main GPS unit. The in-dash 2015 GM system is, well let me say we don't use that one, ever.

Along with the Garmin my wife runs Waze on her phone and has mine set to Google maps. Between the 3 and with printed maps, we do OK. Of course the pilot and co-pilot never have different interpretations! The Garmin is very good and I'll stay with them when I up-grade, possibly soon to get the dash-cam and GPS into a single unit.

Auto-pilot as soon as its available
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote