RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-16-2019, 11:28 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Run off the road - TALK ME DOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
So I contributed to that thread... thinking the whole time, I SHOULD GET A DASH CAM. (Incredibly gross and obscene expletive deleted!)

Driving back to my winter abode at Travelers Rest & Resort, on Johnston Road, by the ancient diesel tank... and over the rise comes a Ford F-550 dually tow truck at high speed - with tow mirrors extended. I quickly go to the edge of the pavement and think I am clear, but we whack each other's drivers side mirrors. Of course both mirrors are toast.

The other driver blamed me. I know I jerked hard right just based on his size and speed, just not enough to roll the.mother truck... he claimed I jerked into his lane. He called highway patrol and his boss and tried to bully me into admitting fault.

Then I asked, "well I suppose you have a dash cam, right?" And he responded, "no, do you?" ACK! ACK! ACK!... oh why didn't God give me a poker face? Why couldn't I just smile evilly?

I KNEW a trooper was on the way.... and I knew I had to maintain my credibility, so I simply said that I hoped he had one to resolve the whole thing civilly. (True actually).

In the end the trooper wrote up that it was impossible to determine which of us was at fault. Each party will be stuck with filing a claim or paying for repairs out of pocket.

Meanwhile the milk in my groceries was turning sour.

The other driver swore that his mirror would cost $800 so there was no way he'd do anything but file. When the owner showed up 20 minutes later, he said the mirror was $620... and was not amused that I already had dozens on Amazon Prime in the $200 range... he insisted his 2013 vehicle was only going to be equipped with an OEM mirror from the dealership. Just for giggles, anyone know the price for OEM, heated with turn signals? And the trooper's last words to me were, 'ma'am I can't prove who was at fault. ... northern Florida is nice, but central and southern Florida is the armpit of the planet." And he paused and pointed to.the report
... where the company did SALVAGE
... and the driver's address is a PO BOX

and their mirror will come off of a wreck

OK. now I will go and get some cheese to go with this WHINE!

Curses, Foiled Again! Paula

Everybody wanna go to heaven, but ain't nobody wanna die.

Anybody nearby want to help en electronically challenged silver sister install a camera or six? Will pay with beer.

I am only about 1/3 of the way through moving to Florida, but I think Karma is telling me to stay a resident of Virginia and just winter here.

An OEM mirror heated with turn signals is $1200. The price does not take into account of installing it. If my mirror was damaged I would not accept any other mirror in case of resale etc. Other mirrors which are cheaper do not have the same warranty and same life span
rintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:36 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rintintin View Post
An OEM mirror heated with turn signals is $1200. The price does not take into account of installing it. If my mirror was damaged I would not accept any other mirror in case of resale etc. Other mirrors which are cheaper do not have the same warranty and same life span
Well said, plus if a dealer installs the new OEM mirrror, the entire job will come with a new warranty. Our tow vehicles are basically big rolling computers, and it pays in the long run to have all the systems covered by warranties to the extent possible.

Expensive? Yes, sometimes, but the alternatives are often more expensive.

You get what you pay for?

Peter

PS -- Sorry for the loss, Paula, I can relate. Our van is in the shop after a reckless driver hit the rear end almost 5 weeks ago. We are still waiting for one small part, before the body shop can put it all together again!

Patience wears thin . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:48 AM   #23
FYS
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Anyone tried Garmin Dash Cam with Forward Collision Warning?

I'm a fan of Garmin fitness watches, with their fairly robust devices, good GPS functionality, and excellent customer service whenever I called. I am very interested with their Garmin Dash Cam: Easily plug into the cigarette lighter socket, and removed when I don't needed to avoid theft (my windows were already smashed twice with gear stolen). There are various versions with different prices, features, etc. on their website. But what really got me interested is the version of Garmin dash camera with build in "Lane Departure Warning" and "Forward Collision Warning" which my older vehicle doesn't come with. Now I don't know how effective these safety features actually works, does anyone tried it? Of course it has the typical voice control so I don't have to search for buttons, bluetooth and wifi so I can view it on my phone app as well.
FYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:52 AM   #24
FYS
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
I just realized that Garmin even make a gps navigation unit with build-in dash camera as well...
FYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:52 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Yes, I have the Garmin. Seems fine, easy to use. I have not had to use it for accident documentation, but everything saved is on the card.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYS View Post
I just realized that Garmin even make a gps navigation unit with build-in dash camera as well...
Be careful about this one. I like my Garmin plotter in the middle, facing me. A camera on the back would be aimed to the right, not down the center. I have the garmin dash cam mounted high on the windshield, fwd of the mirror.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:09 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.c...userSearch=int

Sorted by distance from Dade City, FL 33523
Old 10-16-2019, 12:54 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Larry and FYS, FYI there is a recently active dash cam thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ms-196703.html

Peter

FYI
FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:57 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Griffin , Georgia
Foiled Again _ Mirror Response

Hi, The main reason for OEM mirrors vs. aftermarket relates to functionality of the goodies like power fold, heating for anti-fog, puddle lights, power in and out, etc. (and ease of hookup - by definition it fits perfectly or it is the wrong mirror). It is possible to find decent aftermarket mirrors, but generally they don't work as well as the originals. One decent source for used parts is http://www.car-part.com/. You will need VIN numbers, option numbers related to mirrors, specify driver or passenger side, etc. I have used them for several parts including, yes you guessed it, a mirror that lost a fight in the airport parking lot in ATL. The used one was nearly $200.00 less than OEM new and is still working perfectly two years later. The cheaper aftermarket unit on the other side quit power folding after less than six months. Good luck.
Travel Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:40 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Run off the road - TALK ME DOWN

Have a Cobra dashcam mounted in my Tacoma. Has collected some ‘interesting’ traffic events, like the bozo who passed, then tossed a full cup of coffee into the wind to disrupt my vision. Mine has Dual cameras and has lane departure and collision detection.

For two reasons I turned both those somewhat experimental options OFF. For one, way too many false alarms. The other is that to see the warnings, you need the display out where you can see it.

In California it’s against the law to mount stuff or block your view out the windshield. More in the breach than the observance around here. I mounted mine so it looks like it’s attached to the back of my rear view mirror to eliminate some chances of a ‘friendly’ cop writing me an equipment ticket.

My wife’s 2016 Prius has built in and well integrated lane departure, radar augmented cruise control, blind spot and rear cross traffic warning system. The new Tundras also have most of this stuff.

Guess what I’m going to be towing with next...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The dealership called me back....
Want to sell me a new tow vehicle (well, duh, of course). Were a bit disheartened by my "pre-dented is an advantage for stress relief" speech. Gotta give them credit for not passing up on any opportunity.

Found one after-market with a real good rep... taking a chance.
And my "check emission sensor system" light came on.

Guess tuesday and wednesday are my nights in the barrel.

Sigh..
But it is REALLY GOOD to have friends who get it AND keep me balanced and serene! Thank all y'all!
Old 10-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Now I have read the reviews on Amazon... and shaking mirrors seem to be a common fault. Progresssing on to local junkyards, Napa, etc. IDEAS ANYONE? A little more understanding of why the tow truck guy wanted OEM.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2013-C...cgAms&LH_BIN=1
Old 10-16-2019, 07:17 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Thanks Terry. I should have been more patient. Already ordered from Amazon Prime... yep, I drank the kool-aid and joined. If the ones I got are crap, will try this again.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:34 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
sault ste marie , Ontario
my dash cam

too bad the clown lied to the trooper, likely just to cover his butt with his boss.
i purchased a dash cam for my hemi ram haler for my vintage travelux, and all other 4 wheelers i have.
was a GIT 1, bought it on amazon delivered with all sorts of accessory mounts (compatible with gopro) for $125 Canadian a few years ago.
plug and play, after i bought a good SD card for it. suction cup mount or sticky back mount, all with it. you can read license plates from the video and it has good night video capability. it does heat up when operating, but things are cooler up here and it has never shut down on me.

newer models are out there from that company. its called GitUP, new model is the GIT2, maybe even the 3 is out there

a good review site is:
https://dashcamtalk.com/
those guys test a lot of cams!

and amazon new model is:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017DZ2KE8..._t1_B06XX69L7W

i suppose you were too shocked and nice to tell the liar to go do something which may not be anatomically possible?
travelux1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:43 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
sault ste marie , Ontario
operating GIT1 dash cam

forgot to mention, really simple to operate, one button to power on (front of cam, easy to reach) and one button to start/stop recording (on top of cam)
travelux1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:32 PM   #36
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I don’t have anything profound to add but just letting you know that I’m so sorry this happened to you. Tomorrow will be better, hopefully.
TR is cool, enjoyed a couple of months over there before I ended up buying a place in Titusville. Moving is a royal PITA but once you’re settled in you’ll enjoy it.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:27 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
When my driver side mirror FELL OFF of my Express 3500 van the dealer wanted $600 for one. I found out the mirrors were actually made by Velvac and went to the Velvac web site where they had them for $450. I called to order one and when they heard the truck was barely out of warranty they sent me one for cost.....$140.

Now on my F-350 I wanted better mirrors than it came with, I tried the ebay ones and they were crap. Did more research and found that 1-A Auto has them with great reviews so I ordered a pair for $240 and they have been great. I sold the ebay ones for a $20 loss.

That's my .02