Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2023, 03:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
San Francisco , California
Roof mounted Starlink

We do a lot of boondocking and need to work from wherever we are. I need connectivity all day for work, and cellular has been ok, but doesn't cover everywhere. We recently purchased a Starlink antenna, and went for the high performance dish as we wanted to just mount it on the roof and forget about it. It uses more power and I'm still in two minds about that, but permanent mounting and operation in motion sold me overall. In case anyone else wants to do this, I thought I'd document our install here

We don't use the TV antenna that came on the roof, and we never will - we only use streaming platforms, so Starlink will kindof be our TV antenna too lol. The space it was in looked prefect for the dish. In case anyone's interested, I added details of removing the TV antenna here (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f31...ml#post2662774) - it was pretty easy!

After taking off the antenna and cleaning the old sealant up, I wiped it down with alcohol wipes and used a silly amount of 3M VHB tape to stick the wedge mount to the roof, before using Silkaflex around it to keep water out.

To get the cable inside, I copied the method described here (http://johnjessjourney.com/index.php...our-airstream/), drilling a hole up into the roof in the top of our wardrobe, used a screwdriver to punch up a mark on the outer skin from below and then got on the roof and drilled back in where the mark showed up, making sure they aligned properly. I liked the advice in this video to think about where the ductwork was before drilling too. I bought a waterproof ABS box from Amazon, along with a grommet for the cable to go though from the outside and some plastic inserts to sit in the holes in the Aluminum so they don't rub on the cable. I then used the same 3M tape and Silkafex approach to get it mounted - in my case under an existing solar panel. I then covered the whole thing up with plastic/gorilla tape for a couple of days, to keep the rain off while the Silkaflex cured.

I pulled through enough of the cable from the outside to get to the Starlink power brick, but left most on the outside in case we ever end up somewhere where I have to move the antenna to get signal. To that end, I didn't use the screws provided and instead used removable latching screws, with added zip-ties through some new holes in the wedge mount to prevent them flicking off. It'd still be a pain to move it, but I could get it on/off in about 30min in each direction if needed, and the cable is nice and long.

I wanted to do a 12V conversion so we don't need the inverter, but have yet to see anyone do this for the higher power dish, so went with a half way approach. I bought a low power inverter with the best efficiency I could find and added a new path back to an unused fuse in the fuse box. I started with a 20A fuse and upped it to 30A when that blew about 30min later. I'm not using the Starlink router and instead plug the ethernet out form the power brick straight into our Peplink router's WAN connection. I didn't even need to enable the pass-through mode in the Starlink settings for it to work. That setting is a little scary as they say you have to be at your home address to reset it! The Starlink app doesn't work this way, and I'll try enabling the pass-through at the end of the trip when I can fix it if it doesn't do what I expect.

A few pics below in case it's helpful for anyone else. The end result is pretty low profile and you can barely see it beyond the solar panels. If I was doing it again I'd install the mount 2~3 inches further back. I thought it was going to be too close to the AC unit if I did it that way, but it would have been fine, and the cable is a bit tight to the skylight at the front. Also, that way the mount could probably have covered the hole left by the TV antenna too, meaning I wouldn't have had to add the extra patch.

NickA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 09:19 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
Where did you get the wedge mount? Thanks!
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 09:27 AM   #3
r3z
2 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
Thank you for sharing with all the pics !
r3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 11:12 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llittle54 View Post
Where did you get the wedge mount? Thanks!
It came from Starlink along with the high performance antenna. They ship it in a separate box, but it's all part of the package. I don't think it would work with the normal dish. This high performance version comes with a built in heater which turns on when cold to melt snow (you can also change it to a manual control). The angle works perfectly for us with the AC next to it but it's intended to allow rain/snowmelt not to pool on the top
Old 04-10-2023, 05:47 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2021 23' Flying Cloud
Maryland , Maryland
Have you had any issues with obstructions? Im reluctant to lose the flexibility of moving the dish to a better location as needed. Thanks for sharing all the photos!
OldCrowEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 05:22 AM   #6

2021 25' Globetrotter
Bromont , QC
Starlink on the raod

Hi,
we have children's and they want internet on the road during our travel day. Did you already test it if its work when you are on the highway (exemple), the wifi is strong enough?
thanks

Simon
Simon Codere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 08:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
How does the dish point north? It doesn’t look like it can rotate on the wedge stand.
Old 04-13-2023, 09:42 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrowEW View Post
Have you had any issues with obstructions? Im reluctant to lose the flexibility of moving the dish to a better location as needed. Thanks for sharing all the photos!
I was a little concerned about the same, which is why I installed it with the levered screws and left most of the cable coiled up under it on the roof. I figured that if it was a problem at a given site, I could remove it in ~15min and put it back in a similar time and place it a bit further away. hat said, distance is still quite restricted, and I hope I never have to. We only used it for about 3 weeks on this trip, so our experience is still pretty limited. It certainly worked amazingly everywhere we went, including in the location showed in the photos, with some trees around/over us. I can't really speak to much more than that yet, but am very pleased with it so far. Waaaay better then our cellular options
Old 04-13-2023, 09:47 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Codere View Post
Hi,
we have children's and they want internet on the road during our travel day. Did you already test it if its work when you are on the highway (exemple), the wifi is strong enough?
thanks

Simon
Didn't try it in motion on this trip, but they sell it as working. In terms of wifi, I guess that will depend on what you use as the wifi router. I'm not using the Starlink provided 120V version - just plugged it into our existing Peplink router. It has a single wifi "bunny ear" inside, with the other antenna routed up to our old roof mounted blob. I went with that so that we can get wifi around the trailer and so in the truck is fine. Otherwise the metal shell of the airstream make the external signal much weaker. My guess if you put the router with a line of sight via the front windows to the truck you'd almost certainly be fine. Not sure otherwise.
Old 04-13-2023, 09:56 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
How does the dish point north? It doesn’t look like it can rotate on the wedge stand.
It doesn't need to. This version has a much wider field of view than the basic antenna, so doesn't need to rotate. Here's what Starlink publishes as the profile, and my rough estimate of how that looks on a side view of our model of Airstream - put together before installation to try to see how it would work

Old 04-14-2023, 07:39 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Thanks for sharing what appears to be a well thought out installation. I'm interested in Starlink. That said, I would be very cautious about a roof mount as I would prefer to maintain placement flexibility despite the proclaimed 15 minute change-over. My unfortunate reality is that nothing ever takes only 15 minutes.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote