RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-20-2020, 06:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Two Rivers , Wisconsin
Replacing original back up camera

Good day, My back-up camera on my 2013 FC 25FB has become hard to see out of so want to replace it. Does anyone have the procedures for removing the old camera? Are there connectors of any type that I need to be aware of? Also has anyone installed a new back-up camera and hooked-up the power supply so that it comes on all the time, not just when you turn the tow vehicle lights on?

Iím looking to replace the original camera with a set-up from Tadi Brothers. Any input on that would also be helpful. Thank in advance.
Ltcinfantry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
OK, you have a couple of things here. I am not aware of any OEM backup cameras in 2013, I have a 2012 and it was not an option. Someone had that installed for the owner then. It sounds like they connected the camera power to to running lights and you must have those lights on. That is the easiest way to install a camera; that is what I did, since the running lights are right above the camera location. There is no easy access, which a short run of cable to "always on" 12v. Some people have drilled a hole in the trailer exterior and fished a wire into the trailer to access 12v.
As for the camera replacement, I have also had to do that. The camera typically has just two wires for 12v + and -. I installed mine with a plug for easy removal, but you need to look at your and see if they hardwired the leads or provided a plug to just unplug. No matter what, replacement is not difficult, but since yours apparently dates to 2013, you need to be sure your replacement camera is compatible with your display. An option is to just install a new system since the optics are much better in 2020 than they were in 2013.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:35 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Two Rivers , Wisconsin
Larry,

Thanks for your quick inquiry. Yes I’m going to replace the entire system including the display in the cabin. Tadi brothers website had multiple choices for replacement with a much better camera of course and displays that mount to or replace your rearview mirror in the tow vehicle. What it comes down to it sounds like is I just need to open up to see how it’s wired and go from there. I hate doing exploratory work when you cannot damage the exterior in anyway. Thanks again, John
Ltcinfantry is offline   Reply With Quote