Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
2003 25' Classic
Anacortes , Washington
Wired rear view video camera on a Bambi 19'

Bought this camera from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Rear-View-Safe...+backup+camera

Tried a similar one from Tadibrothers, but after numerous problems sent it back for a refund.

I selected a wired camera because I didn't want to permanently mount the camera near the roof of the AS and had used one on a bumper mount on a previous AS. The camera and mount can be removed for storage. The camera is powered by the car (12V plug which is only powered when the ignition is on). The wires from the camera run under the trailer to the car and generally follow the gas and water lines up the curb side. The connection between the trailer and car is via a "quick disconnect" waterproof connection this is part of the camera/monitor kit.

We mounted the monitor using a cup holder mount:

http://www.amazon.com/ChargerCity%C2...YJDDB5BG9KRCRG

George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camera mount easily removed.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	422.6 KB
ID:	261300   Click image for larger version

Name:	camera mounted on bumper.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	401.0 KB
ID:	261301  

Name:	camera connected to car.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	396.3 KB
ID:	261302   Click image for larger version

Name:	cup holder monitor mount.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	460.3 KB
ID:	261303  

ghatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:09 PM   #42
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghatfield View Post
Bought this camera from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Rear-View-Safe...+backup+camera

Tried a similar one from Tadibrothers, but after numerous problems sent it back for a refund.

I selected a wired camera because I didn't want to permanently mount the camera near the roof of the AS and had used one on a bumper mount on a previous AS. The camera and mount can be removed for storage. The camera is powered by the car (12V plug which is only powered when the ignition is on). The wires from the camera run under the trailer to the car and generally follow the gas and water lines up the curb side. The connection between the trailer and car is via a "quick disconnect" waterproof connection this is part of the camera/monitor kit.

We mounted the monitor using a cup holder mount:

http://www.amazon.com/ChargerCity%C2...YJDDB5BG9KRCRG

George
I installed similar 3'years ago... Reliable... Good product. Cameras are marginal image quality but very robust and great IR illumination... You can't count the wrinkles in the bark of a tree, but you can see when you are about to hit it... Or adjust and miss.. 😎
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:16 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Talking Garmin RV760 with BC-20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbee View Post
Has anyone tried the Garmin for RV with camera? Need a new Garmin so, why not this?

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-760LMT-...=garmin+for+rv
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwclassic View Post
65Streamer -- I just asked Garmin about GPS/camera (I have the 2797lmt). They said 2789lmt mates with BC wireless camera (but not mine ) My goal matches yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacnps View Post
We installed the Garmin RV 760LMT that has wireless backup on our 23' Flying Cloud. The back up camera was installed right above the rear window and works seamlessly with the GPS in the cab. So far it's been great. Not that crazy about their trip planning tool (Base Camp) - not very intuitive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Realize this an older thread. How did you wire the camera? I do not have a back up light on my 2011 Safari 23 to properly wire it to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
I was considering going with the Garmin solution, and while researching it I think some people ran the cable from the camera to the transmitter under the AS, and powered the transmitter off the battery in the front. They used cable ties or something similar wherever they could from to hold the cable in place.
Hi, I have had and used my Garmin RV 760 for about one year so far and really like it. I was hoping to see someone's rear camera install to help me do mine. Well since I couldn't find anything, I just decided to see what I could do. I have been working on it for two days and have been having problems, but I think I finally have it. It will be some time before I can actually take my trailer out for a real test. I made my own camera mounting bracket and my power source is in my left tail light.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000923.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	263699   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000922.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	263700  

Name:	P1000921.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	263701   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000926.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	263702  

Name:	P1000924.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	263703  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:46 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Your camera mount is similar to mine.
My camera gets power from the tag light.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:06 PM   #45
Tom and Phyllis

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
On backing: The military teaches it this way. Start with the tow vehicle and trailer straight. Use basically one hand to steer while backing. So whichever hand you want to use, place that hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. Now it gets easy, whichever way you need the rear of the trailer to go, just move your hand in that direction as you back up. Start with small amount of steering wheel rotation until you see how much response you get, the length of the TV and AS will determine how much steering you will need. Hope this helps.
LD Valley w/ 800 lb trunion bars
Honda eu3000is & 2200 generator
Lucky Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:11 PM   #46
Tom and Phyllis

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
MaineStreamer, did you install a wired or wireless? Hope you answer wired, I am in search of tips for the wired kind.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:16 PM   #47
Tom and Phyllis

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
Artic fox, I also have that same bike rack and I will consider doing that rather than making a hole, my system arrives 27 Jan and it is wired, just one cable travels from the hitch/tongue area I assume, that would power the camera and send the video back up front. May take this one little cable down under the AS from the bike rack attaching it with sheet metal screws to the belly pan. Does anybody think it would work? May try to mount a vertical piece of aluminum tubing to the bike rack to gain some vertical perspective.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:22 PM   #48
Tom and Phyllis

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
Go to youtube, I just watched it being done to the rear of a moving van, drilling a hole is drilling a hole. With a typical hole saw you have a pilot bit which makes your starter hole. Just make sure this pilot bit protrudes from the hole saw with a minimum of length.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:54 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Tom View Post
MaineStreamer, did you install a wired or wireless? Hope you answer wired, I am in search of tips for the wired kind.
Wireless.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:47 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
JC will e-mail you instructions for install of voyager
seems simple enough. newer models have a connection you fish out for the hook up
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:45 AM   #51
Launce

2012 16' Sport
Greenbelt , Maryland
Camera on Sport 16

Don't know if I should post here, or start a new topic. Anyway ...

I just bought a 2012 Sport 16 and I want to install rear-view cameras.

Right now I'm thinking of a TadiBrothers 7" mirror clip-on wireless monitor, with a license-plate camera on the tow vehicle to help with hitching and general non-towing backing up, and a second wireless camera mounted high up on the trailer. (I'm figuring as long as I'm towing something tall, I might as well take advantage of the height to see over cars behind me.)

Here's my question (I knew there was a question in here somewhere!): To power the camera on the trailer, can I tap into the center clearance lamp on the Airstream? Is there a way to mount the camera without screwing into the skin? If I do screw it down, is there a way to do that which will minimize damage?

I guess I have a second question, having to do with the viewing angle. TadiBrothers seems to use 120° as their default. Does that sound right, or do people prefer something wider or narrower?

Any other comments welcome.
Launce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:18 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2021 27' Globetrotter
Geographicly , Unbound
Quote:
Originally Posted by Launce View Post
Don't know if I should post here, or start a new topic. Anyway ...

I just bought a 2012 Sport 16 and I want to install rear-view cameras.

Right now I'm thinking of a TadiBrothers 7" mirror clip-on wireless monitor, with a license-plate camera on the tow vehicle to help with hitching and general non-towing backing up, and a second wireless camera mounted high up on the trailer. (I'm figuring as long as I'm towing something tall, I might as well take advantage of the height to see over cars behind me.)

Here's my question (I knew there was a question in here somewhere!): To power the camera on the trailer, can I tap into the center clearance lamp on the Airstream? Is there a way to mount the camera without screwing into the skin? If I do screw it down, is there a way to do that which will minimize damage?

I guess I have a second question, having to do with the viewing angle. TadiBrothers seems to use 120° as their default. Does that sound right, or do people prefer something wider or narrower?

Any other comments welcome.
If you haven't chosen a camera system yet, check out my camera review under 2005 and newer Bambi's. I'm very pleased with it.