Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
Rear View Camera idea

Hello,

We use Wyzecam and D-Link cameras to check our pets at home while we are at work.

https://www.wyzecam.com/

An idea just occurred to me: What if I put our home wifi router in the trailer (have to use inverter for power) and connect the wifi camera and our mobile device on that wifi network, wouldn't I be able to use it as a rear view camera?

Sure, the router consumes power, but it's like 2~20 watt. Nothing to worry about if we tow only a few hours a day.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks,

Atsushi
Atsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:01 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Aside from 12 VDC power consumption, I see one potential drawback: bandwidth usage. Streaming live video uses a lot of bits and bytes. You probably have an unlimited internet connection at home, so it's no problem there. But on the road, you're going to be connecting through the cellular network. How many gigabytes does your monthly plan allow? How much does overage cost? You may find that your surveillance camera(s) chew through more bandwidth than you can afford.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
Aside from 12 VDC power consumption, I see one potential drawback: bandwidth usage. Streaming live video uses a lot of bits and bytes. You probably have an unlimited internet connection at home, so it's no problem there. But on the road, you're going to be connecting through the cellular network. How many gigabytes does your monthly plan allow? How much does overage cost? You may find that your surveillance camera(s) chew through more bandwidth than you can afford.
No internet usage is needed. The phone connects WiFi to the router, as does the camera. All the equipment is on the LAN side. This is exactly what I did with my iPad, a spare camera and router. Check your router. Both of mine operate from 12V DC. I connected them using conveniently located cigarette lighter outlets. I also found a good iPad/iPhone holder that secures into a console cup holder.

The only problem you will have to solve is mirroring the image left to right so it looks just like you would see it in a rear view mirror. "There's an app for that" and maybe only one that works well. After trying several, I settled on "Ucampro" for iPhone. It lets you reverse images and several other interesting effects. You can also hit a soft button and save a snapshot of anything interesting behind you.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
Wyze does let you flip the image over. I don't recall have a problem with a rear facing camera showing the need to a reverse image.

Wyze also runs off of a USB micro cable to a charger adapter which can be plugged into a USB power source such as a cigarette lighter port.

There is likely a small router that would be a good match.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
With a standard webcam looking to the rear, the curb appears on the left of the picture. In a rear view mirror it is on the right. Purpose-made rear view cameras probably reverse the image by default. I'm not familiar with Wyze, but I used an old VGA webcam I had lying around. Its software did not provide the capability to reverse the image. I tried several webcam viewers. One provided the reversal capability but ran too slowly on my iPad Air. UCamPro was the only other one I found with reversal capability that ran. That was over a year ago, there may be more now.

Al
Old 02-13-2019, 07:30 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
Thank you, guys for interesting discussion. This is very helpful.

VGA camera is like a webcam for video chatting, like Skype? Don't we need a computer to use such camera? How would the camera communicate with the router? My camera has a USB cable.

But even if webcam doesn't work, all I would need is a wifi capable camera, correct? And yes, the camera has to be able to flip the image.

Wyze cam doesn't appear to support flipping image.

Thanks,

Atsushi
Old 02-13-2019, 08:27 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
I'm trying two android phones and an "Alfred" app. My router is 12v and plugs in the cigarette power plug with no inverter needed. Hang the old phone with a magnet in the rear window. Current phone in the TV.

Test this setup against my Garmin BC30 camera.

Sjohn
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:48 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
yeah - should be no problem. When i installed one, i just purchased a wifi transmitter for around $20 and hooked up a $20 camera to it and then I use my ipad and an apP called WIFIAV and it works just fine. i had previously posted on this (can see on my old posts).
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:10 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
I purchased a WiFi camera with an phone app. Replaced the middle rear running light with the camera. Turn on the running lights to power the camera. Turn on the app on my phone and vola the view is of the rear behind the camper . Great for backing in to campsites. Amazon has several for less the. $75. WiFi range is over 100’
Just a thought. Al watched me install it a couple of years ago.
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:33 PM   #10
Sin On Wheels

2014 23' FB International
Randolph Center , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDave View Post
I purchased a WiFi camera with an phone app. Replaced the middle rear running light with the camera. Turn on the running lights to power the camera. Turn on the app on my phone and vola the view is of the rear behind the camper . Great for backing in to campsites. Amazon has several for less the. $75. WiFi range is over 100’
Just a thought. Al watched me install it a couple of years ago.
Which camera did you purchase?
Any modifications needed to wire to the 12V running lights?
VTARF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
VGA camera is like a webcam for video chatting, like Skype? Don't we need a computer to use such camera? How would the camera communicate with the router? My camera has a USB cable.

Mine was an old VGA webcam but worked either over Ethernet or WiFi to router. No computer required.

But even if webcam doesn't work, all I would need is a wifi capable camera, correct? And yes, the camera has to be able to flip the image.

IF you are using an iPAd or iPhone in the tow vehicle, you can use UCamPro from the App Store. It can flip the picture.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:00 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post

Mine was an old VGA webcam but worked either over Ethernet or WiFi to router. No computer required.

IF you are using an iPAd or iPhone in the tow vehicle, you can use UCamPro from the App Store. It can flip the picture.

Thanks for the info. I have two D-link camera, and I should be able to use the UCamPro with them. But it doesn't support Wyze cam at this moment:

http://www.ubntek.com/ucampro/supportios.html
Old 02-13-2019, 06:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
For Wyze take a look at this link, short discussion on mirror imaging the camera.

https://forums.wyzecam.com/t/feature...r-image/6185/6

You can use VLC player to mirror the video, now to figure out how to send the stream from the Wyze to the app.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:48 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St Petersburg , Florida
WiFi Cam

Respectfully, I think you all are all “overthinking” this issue. For less than $100 you can get a dedicated wireless cam system on Amazon. Camera needs a 12v hard-wire connection and it goes Bluetooth to a receiver, which operates on a cigar lighter connection. I use these on my travel trailer, and horse trailer. The Bluetooth signal is good for almost 600 feet and the included monitor has the image correcting capability built in.

Good luck. This is a simple and reliable approach

PirateChris
PirateChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:24 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateChris View Post
Respectfully, I think you all are all “overthinking” this issue. For less than $100 you can get a dedicated wireless cam system on Amazon. Camera needs a 12v hard-wire connection and it goes Bluetooth to a receiver, which operates on a cigar lighter connection. I use these on my travel trailer, and horse trailer. The Bluetooth signal is good for almost 600 feet and the included monitor has the image correcting capability built in.

Good luck. This is a simple and reliable approach

PirateChris
Don't count on 600 ft with Bluetooth. My neighbor has a 24 ft Jayco with a Furrion setup. The signal is intermittent when parked and forget when moving. Anything metal (AC unit, AS skin, etc) can interferer. I would suggest spend the money and get something like the RVS-155 (50 ft) or RVS-255 (100 ft). RVS (Rear View Safety) makes wireless units for semis.

Disclaimer: I have no connection to RVS.
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
However, from what I can see you would need to have the router connected to the Internet in order to run the Wyze app.

I did verify this with my equipment by setting up my phone as a hot spot and installing up a new camera with my phone as the WiFi source for the camera. That did work, but when I put aluminum foil around my phone to kill the Verizon cell tower signal the Wyze app stopped working.

There was a question to Wyze technical about what the video format was used. They basically did not give an answer, they only responded with the security data format which is a totally different area of data use.

Here is a link to the tech tip for setting up a Wyze backup camera:
https://forums.wyzecam.com/t/use-wys...nnection/14311
Old 02-14-2019, 06:58 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
SVTCAM. From Amazon. Has IR lens that enables dark usage. Color display. Used waterproof crimp connection. Then sealed the existing hole in camper shell. Down
Load app to phone. One less item on truck dashboard.
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:37 AM   #18
Vantair

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Rear view plus side views

Hello,

We have successfully accomplished a similar multi-camera iewing solution result using multiple wired HD cams and local WiFi router in the AS.

Feeding cat 5 cables through front window weep holes and traversed across tinted window wrap under rubber seals without drilling or sealing needed.
Cannot see wiring as it is hiding behind natural channels.

Serves well for a local WiFi broadcast to the tow vehicle and iPhone, android tablet or iPad allowing constant viewing while driving. (no needed internet connection for this). For now using pure sine wave inverter power while underway for 4 channel DVR recorder and network which can also all operate native 12vdc powered so can eliminate inverter for this one day.

Viewing 4 HD cameras 1rear, 2 sides looking back and 1 wild as a WiFi and placed as desired for a frontal or campground view. Driving or stationary allows 2 months of recording storage and live while driving views.

Fun to rewatch the traveling from different angles on larger flat screen in rig at campsite.

Reverse mirror orientation little wierd but better than no views at all. Works for us !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E2B70122-955B-48A8-AD0E-BE391D66DF10.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	333612   Click image for larger version

Name:	F5A2BE3E-53E8-4F1C-BBD2-370CA28B351D.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	333613  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FC8C7437-FA63-4505-ABC1-44376A65242E.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	333614   Click image for larger version

Name:	D0C6A443-4719-46AB-8F69-AFD2998541D5.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	333615  

Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:02 PM   #19
Experienced Learner

2000 34' Excella
Somewhere , Earth
As cctv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantair View Post

We have successfully accomplished a similar multi-camera iewing solution result using multiple wired HD cams and local WiFi router in the AS.
Very nice. Have considered doing something similar with an Axis 4-channel video encoder and some silver colored CCTV bullet cameras left over from a project done years ago, but didn't like the appearance of a bullet camera mounted outside.

What kind of camera did you use?
aswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:44 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
Hello,

We use Wyzecam and D-Link cameras to check our pets at home while we are at work.

https://www.wyzecam.com/

An idea just occurred to me: What if I put our home wifi router in the trailer (have to use inverter for power) and connect the wifi camera and our mobile device on that wifi network, wouldn't I be able to use it as a rear view camera?

Sure, the router consumes power, but it's like 2~20 watt. Nothing to worry about if we tow only a few hours a day.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks,

Atsushi

A member of the forums sold such a system that I used for several years. An unexpected drawback was that it caused interference with my Dill TPMS. I got false alarms regularly. I always thought it was a fault of the TPMS until I changed camera systems. I now use a Voyager with a small screen. I thought the big screen was overkill.