Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
Sharon & Mitch

1976 31' Sovereign
South-Western , Ontario
Playing iPOD through stereo

Don't know much at all about electronics but we managed to figure out a way to listen to our ipod through the original stereo system of our 1976 31ft Airstream. We picked up an after market ipod car adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Turned on stereo and voila. It cost us less than $25 to buy the adapter and it worked like a charm. Happy to post pic of it to share.
sweetsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Did you purchase the one which uses a frequency on the FM band? I tried one of those in my Lincoln, but found the reception spotty, so I purchased a cassette adapter, it works much better.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsilver View Post
Don't know much at all about electronics but we managed to figure out a way to listen to our ipod through the original stereo system of our 1976 31ft Airstream. We picked up an after market ipod car adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Turned on stereo and voila. It cost us less than $25 to buy the adapter and it worked like a charm. Happy to post pic of it to share.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
fm trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsilver View Post
I got a "frequency on the FM band" type from buy.com (one of those email specials) for about half the price and it sounds better than a cd playing in the cd player. If a car is with-in 200 ft and has the station set to the same channel as the FM trans it picks it up too.

The special runs every once in awhile.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:18 AM   #4

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
Mitch,
I would like a photo and a picture of the packaging, if you still have it, so I know what to look for in the store.
Thank you.
Jane
Janie Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Ordered this Bose to replace my old unit. Has docking station for Ipod, USB, and SD card.
4x80watt and its under $100.00. (BARELY)
FRYS.com*|*Boss
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsmith View Post
Ordered this Bose to replace my old unit. Has docking station for Ipod, USB, and SD card.
4x80watt and its under $100.00. (BARELY)
FRYS.com*|*Boss
Quite a bit of difference between Bose and Boss.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Did you purchase the one which uses a frequency on the FM band? I tried one of those in my Lincoln, but found the reception spotty, so I purchased a cassette adapter, it works much better.

Bill
I have bought two of those FM ones at factorydirect.ca (in their store, not online) for C$9.99; one for us, the other for the brother-in-law, and they both work well. I won't say that it sounds better than a CD, but it's quite acceptable.

Our TV has a 6-CD player, but won't play MP3 files. So even even with that capacity, I find it easier to load up a 16 gig SD memory card with MP3 files (ripped from my own CDs of course) and just plug it in.

I have even done that with 'books on CD' and again, much simpler than carrying around a ton of CDs.

The FM adapter I buy accepts SD memory cards, USB drives, and has a 3.5mm 'mini' input jack,for iPods, Zunes and the like.

Great value for ten bucks!
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
this is the I got

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie Q View Post
Mitch,
I would like a photo and a picture of the packaging, if you still have it, so I know what to look for in the store.
Thank you.
Jane
Buy.com - Apple iPod / iPhone 3G(s) 7-In-1 FM Transmitter Car Charger with Advance Remote 3.0+ Compatible

Is the one I got and the remote works but is hard to figure out. I work better with the iPod controls. So the power plug kept it where it was hard to see. I got an extention cord for power plugs and it sound great!!!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I took my orginal stereo out and put in a Brandsmart (craig) I got for $38.00 (on sale). It has an auxilary jack in it and I run my Ipod and surround sound through it. I replaced the speakers in the airstream with cheap speakers. We love the system.

Brian
Old 05-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #10
Sharon & Mitch

1976 31' Sovereign
South-Western , Ontario
Listening to ipod through stereo

I have attached a link to the store where I purchased the adapter- they sell a black one and a simpler white one, mine was the white one. The white one has way better reviews.
In case the link doesn't work, here are the details (I threw away original packaging, it came in a clear plastic outer shell):
"Digipower iPod Navigator Three-in-one: iPod holder, iPod charger and iPod FM transmitter. Unit plugs into 12 V to charge. Also holds your iPod unit. FM transmitter features input dial for channel select. Compatible with iPod 3G, 4G, 20G, iPod Photo, iPod Mini, iPod Nano and almost all other iPod media players". I noticed in a review that it may not play all newer iPods. It is carried at Canadian Tire, and goes on sale every once in a while....reg price is 39.99 but every so often they go on sale for about $10 or $15!
I have also attached a pic of it plugged into the cigarette lighter plug in our 1976 31ft AS.
When we figured this one out, we were so happy! We use it to listen to music and to charge the iPod, and also to tell time (since our AS clock isn't working).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_7977.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	129211  
sweetsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:37 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Ashland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to albert Send a message via Yahoo to albert
Help with new stereo / ipod hook up PLEASE

I have a 70 Ambassador and I just found out after taking out the old AM/FM and 8 track units that they ran off of 9volt. I thought it was 12v. I went and bought a big in home stereo system thinking it would replace the old. But obviously no go. So do all car stereo systems run off 9v? I want to have an ipod dock up in that front compartment and it only has 9v going there. I dont have the skin off so I dont think I can run 12v to that area. any suggestion? please!!!
Ultimately what I want to do is get a flat screen and mount it near the frig and have the sound come from the stereo. I would have to get a DVD player to hook up to something for that to work. But first things first.
albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Ashland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to albert Send a message via Yahoo to albert
I meant 12V not 9V and I meant 110V. Sorry for the brain &(*&%$(*#
albert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adapter, audio, ipod, music, stereo