Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2014, 02:38 PM   #1

Yelm , Washington
Pioneer surround sound/tv questions

Hi all! We recently purchased a 2014 airstream international and cannot figure how to get the surround sound to work on tv or dvd/blu Ray. We have taken it back to the dealership and they weren't able to pin point the issue. Called Airstream and Pioneer with no help. We have the aux option "on" on the system. Are we missing something?
GUARDO365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
You might go to airstreams home site.there I found videos how to use the blue ray with TV and play cd's on the player also the radio is incorporated in this
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Look up airstream, home, go to service, customer support scroll down till you get to the different videos showing how to use all your components...very good..
Old 12-30-2014, 03:27 PM   #4

Yelm , Washington
Thanks we started there but no help...the video posted was for the old system-Sony. I need assistance with the pioneer system. I was hoping someone with that system could help. Went through the manuals as well.
GUARDO365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
It does work for my 2013 classic...
Old 12-31-2014, 10:19 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Clara , Utah
Pioneer sound and TV

As a dry camper had to get used to sound & TV, first effort NG. Visited dealer for recall and the service staff had me viewing and listening. Now I set the Pioneer faceplate in position and power-up even drive the iPod with no issues, Thx AirStream of Orange County!
ByHyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I'll have to go to the trailer to verify, but if memory serves me correctly you switch the mode to "CD2" for television sound.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:51 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Yep, We were told and experienced all of the above. Finally, I figured it out. t really does work, and well. We are currently out of town. When we get back we can connect. I typed a simple step-by-step system to get the whole thing to work that I can send you. I think that Dan at Airstream may also have a copy of it, if you don't want to wait. I'll warn you; it includes some humor. Dave
Dave-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:02 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Summerland , British Columbia
I have seen a few units that have not been wired right from factory. There is an aux input box wired to the stereo hidden in behind it , you have to remove the stereo ,then check the inputs of the RCA connectors at both the stereo and aux box. The stereo modes could be in cd 1 or cd2 or 3?? depending on the inputs , which you could check while in there. The 2 little aluminum tools you need to pull the stereo are sometimes in the bag that should've come with the trailer.
Fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
On my new Serenity I had to basically pull the head unit and check (Disconnect, reconnect) all the connections, then did the same on the back of the television after removing it from the mount. Then, AUX gives television sound through the speakers driven by the head unit.

For good sound, I also replaced all the Clarion speakers with Polk Audio, packing the space behind speakers with closed cell foam.

My opinion is that in connecting some of the various speaker wires, the effort was less than adequate, thus no connection made.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:54 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Westcliffe , Colorado
With the help of an AS dealer the two of us were accidentally able to get our Pioneer Radio on our 2014 International to quit disco ball flashing; however, when we shut down the battery power, and then later reconnected, the intermittent flashing lights came back again. I too have found the help from tech support at Jackson Center unhelpful (they e-mailed the same Users Guide which I already had). If someone is able to provide you an honest to goodness helpful DIY User's Guide I too would appreciate simply learning how to play a simple radio.
RIVETING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVETING View Post
With the help of an AS dealer the two of us were accidentally able to get our Pioneer Radio on our 2014 International to quit disco ball flashing; however, when we shut down the battery power, and then later reconnected, the intermittent flashing lights came back again. I too have found the help from tech support at Jackson Center unhelpful (they e-mailed the same Users Guide which I already had). If someone is able to provide you an honest to goodness helpful DIY User's Guide I too would appreciate simply learning how to play a simple radio.
Yes, every time power is totally removed from the radio, it reverts to it's disco ball flashing lights demonstration mode and there seems to be no way to change that. So, each time you use the Use/Store switch with no 120 volt power you have to re set the radio to stop it's flashing lights. And of course remember how to do that.

I am not near my FC 20 now, so I can't tell you how to stop it, each time I have to look and fiddle to make it shut down the lights. It is a truly stupid design. BTW, mine is behind a cabinet door and you can't see the lights, so it is very very easy to cycle the use/store switch for some reason (or just brush against it) and not realize the lights are on, taking almost a full amp to run them (and run the battery down). To prevent that from happening by accident, I would up putting a second positive off switch on the radio 12 volt input line. I only turn it on with that switch so it can't go into an unseen disco dance mode very easily now.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:34 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
GUARDO 365 and Others,
Rick March at AS has been attentive and helpful regarding the radio. I do appreciate his efforts and his willingness to pay for an on-off button. Here is my last correspondence to him. Warning ... It is lengthy and was structured from a certain amount of frustration. Pardon my sense of humor ...

Rick,
We wanted you to know that you will not be charged “back” regarding the on-off switch for the Pioneer Radio. Thank you for offering to do so. Yep, I actually figured it out on my own. So, here is what you can tell your customers with the Pioneer Systems from now on:
(This is the dummy proof version…which I evidentially needed):

1.Push what the in-English Pioneer manual calls the “On-Off” button (as I remember, it is marked as the <SRC> switch on the upper left hand side of the radio. I’d know for sure, but my Airstream is currently at Suttons. Getting back to the On-Off button: pushing this will turn on the radio to any function. Don’t be afraid (at this point), just push it to get into some function. Of course, the damned system is probably already “functioning,” on its own, totally out of your control or understanding… flashing to and fro. That will change as we begin to attempt to take control.
2.With the button pushed, the radio or some other substantive feature should be running. Any one of the features running is okay, it seems, not just the radio.
3.Now … push the round dial. It is a rotating dial and also a button when you push it. When you do push it, immediately the word “Menu” should be displayed.
4.Next, push the upper or lower lever (off the round button) until you scroll to the <Systems Menu> (from the main menu).
5.At this point, there may be something in the system that wants you to set the clock, before it allows you to go to the systems menu … that happened to me. My advice is to set the clock … Then, start over* … Then, push and scroll through to the systems menu, again.
6.Once finally back to the systems menu, push the levers again to scroll to the different functions. You are looking for <Demo>, which you want to eventually “turn-off,” unless you want a kaleidoscope of colors lighting your highly reflective Airstream interior, changing color and intensity every few seconds.
7.To turn off the demo, turn the dial to scroll between “Yes” and “No” when the screen shows “Turn Off Demo.” You want to turn the dial until you can push it to affect the “YES.”
8.Since you are having so much fun and success, and while you are in the Systems menu, you may want to turn down the Illumination-Brightness, too. When you scroll with the levers to find the proper lamination location, you can scroll between 1 to 5 with the dial to accomplish this. There may be other items that are yet undiscovered by me that you may want to fool around with. What fun!

*(Note) Between any of the above, you may have to go completely out by pushing the on-off button; then, turn the “radio” on and start the “Menu” process again. This necessity is apparently the only reboot available when the system gets unproductively “hung up” (on one of the menu items). This happens regularly, for no apparent reason. They throw this feature in just to add insult to injury.

9.Now, it’s time to get things done! We have turned off the demo and lowered the illumination.
10. Push the SRC “on-off” button on the upper left. Hold it down for a few seconds. What should happen now is that the radio or whatever is running should silence and go off. Yep … go off. But, we are not done yet. The lights are still on and displaying the time of day. The colors are changing every few seconds, lighting up the aluminum brilliantly, still.
11. Now, look at the bottom right hand corner of the radio and find the <Disp> button. Push it!!
12.At this point, instantly, there are no lights blinking, no demo running, and perfect silence. For the first time, there are no flashing lights inside your RV.
13.Now, except for the camper next door who belongs in the 1960s and is playing Bob Dylan tapes over and over, you are in great shape and you have conquered your Pioneer Radio System. You have a tremendous feeling of accomplishment. If you are lucky like me, your wife believes that you must be a genius!

To operate the Blu-Ray system, I wave my hand over the top of the unit. The tray miraculously pops out and once the disc is in place, functions with the TV and radio wonderfully. It is like magic and I am beyond genius at this point. I'm mystical.

The radio tuner also has menu items for surround sound, etc. You will find them, I'll promise.

Hopefully this is helpful. Simple huh!? The only issue that is a bit frustrating is that I seem to need to re-program the system for reasons unknown, but possibly has to do with electrical changes and some sort of protective device (?). Like certain things about my wonderful spouse, some things should remain a mystery ... It's the spice of life.

Dave & Nancy
Dave-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Now that the instructions for the Pioneer unit are out, and operation is so straight forward, this is obviously the reason for switching in 2015 to the Clarion single button unit with the short/long push, push and tilt up, down, right, left, or tilt without pushing, or rotate button, or accidentally push and tilt or push too long, tilt inadequately, all combined with a menu which of course has no real return or cancel other than the tried and true, start over feature which must be considered a wonderful improvement over the Pioneer.... And it is a "marine" unit, not sure they shouldn't have capitalized that word.....oh, golly I am finished.

Ms. Tommie Lauer
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Nancy View Post
Yep, We were told and experienced all of the above. Finally, I figured it out. t really does work, and well. We are currently out of town. When we get back we can connect. I typed a simple step-by-step system to get the whole thing to work that I can send you. I think that Dan at Airstream may also have a copy of it, if you don't want to wait. I'll warn you; it includes some humor. Dave
Thanks for the detailed instructions you also posted, and especially for your sense of humor! Wondering if you ever replaced this Pioneer radio with a more user-friendly unit?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote