Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2022, 03:28 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
No bandwidth during "periods of congestion" cell tower specifc

Big revelation thought I'd share...

I have Verizon and use my phone to USB tether internet to my laptop. All this holds true if you have a JetPack or similar. I recently got a WeBoost Reach RV and it works as advertised. Consistently it's get's my signal from orange/red (-120) to green (-80 or better). Often this does just the trick to get my download/uploads speeds where they need to be to work, screen shares, video, etc.

Recently I was baffled why even through the WeBoost was boosting my signal, my bandwidth wasn't improving and was at time less than 1MB download (useless for internet). I realized I could walk a short distance away from the trailer and even through the signal was much weaker, the bandwidth was much better!

The issue was that from where my trailer was parked, I was hitting the server in Portland and on my "Start Unlimited" plan I was getting throttled. A short distance away I was connection to other less busy servers and was fine, but it didn't help for where my trailer/desk was setup.

So I went to Verizon and upgraded my plan $10/mo to get my first 50GB each much premium bandwidth. The premium plan got me $400 off a new Samsung S22 so I upgraded from my S7. So far it's been great. I put the WeBoost away because I don't need it here now and it didn't help, maybe because the local 5G is on one of the bands it doesn't support? Not sure.