Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2018, 09:53 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
New Dish/Wally combo- how to connect?

OK; so I took the bait and purchased the King Tailgater which came with the free Walley receiver for under $300 yesterday. I can not find the thread with pictures on how to connect the Walley inside the AS on our 2017 28'? Friend of mine has a 23D and also purchased...can't find out how to connect to the existing set up. If there are pictures from someone who has done this recently, or at least good instructions, would appreciate directing me to the thread. I see some folks are using a "splitter" or "switch"; again, any direction on doing this is appreciated.

Friend called AS yesterday and service guys got all excited on the phone and said he should take to them for installation, since AS is not set up to add the satellite and it is complicated....is it?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Yours may be different, but here goes. On the side of the trailer that the outside connection is on, I have two coax-type connectors on the inside. The bottom one is the one to use for the satellite connection. I have a dinette there; I place the receiver on the table and connect to the bottom connector. The output from the receiver goes straight to the TV.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
If there are pictures from someone who has done this recently, or at least good instructions, would appreciate directing me to the thread.
First of all, the outside sat connection goes to a cable that ends in the cabinet housing the DVD player. Take apart the cabinet and you will see it.

Do you need your DVD player? We don't so all I had to do was replace the DVD player with the Wally. Connect the Wally the same way the DVD player was connected. Then bingo, Wally on both TV's. GL, Dave
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:11 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Santa Clara , California
I'm having the same questions so I appreciate this thread. My question is; If I take apart the cabinet that the DVD sits on and find the cable you are describing, (and I'm assuming it's a coaxial cable) would it be possible to get a coaxial splitter so I can plug both the DVD player and the Wally in?
Gypsyniner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyniner View Post
If I take apart the cabinet that the DVD sits on and find the cable you are describing, (and I'm assuming it's a coaxial cable) would it be possible to get a coaxial splitter so I can plug both the DVD player and the Wally in?
There are splitters that'll allow you to do this. But I think it's the switch type, not the splitter where you would split a cable feed to two different TV's. You'll have two different devices and want to choose which signal to pass along to the TV's.

One problem you'll have is placement of the DVD player and the Wally, which, BTW, fits nicely in the cutout holding the DVD player.

Why not store the DVD player under the bed and when you want to use it, set it on the back of the couch and connect it directly to the HDMI2 port of the TV?
Old 04-28-2018, 12:37 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Santa Clara , California
That's a great idea! Thanks - You actually just gave me another idea - I could also purchase a DVD portable player and use that if necessary. They're so cheap these days I think they might be giving them away! Thanks for your help.
Gypsyniner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasams View Post
There are splitters that'll allow you to do this. But I think it's the switch type, not the splitter where you would split a cable feed to two different TV's. You'll have two different devices and want to choose which signal to pass along to the TV's.

One problem you'll have is placement of the DVD player and the Wally, which, BTW, fits nicely in the cutout holding the DVD player.

Why not store the DVD player under the bed and when you want to use it, set it on the back of the couch and connect it directly to the HDMI2 port of the TV?
Just to clarify, the coaxial cable from the outside SAT connector isn't connected to anything. Speculating here since I don't have a DVD player in my older trailer, but I suspect there is an HDMI cable connected to the DVD player that feeds an HDMI splitter or switch that routes HDMI to the two TV's. You will have to connect the coax to the SAT IN of the Wally and the HDMI to the HDMI OUT of the Wally.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:12 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
I used velcro to attach both the switch and Wally to the top of the box that holds the blu ray player. You need to purchase a switch that has 2 hdmi inputs and them out puts. the Blu ray and wally will use the 2 inputs and the two tv hdmi cables will link your 2 TV.s using the output connectors attach the cable in the wall to the wally.
You can make your life a little easier by purchasing a couple of 1.5 foot hdmi cables to reduce clutter. If you install a new TV I recommend that you purchase a hdmi female:female connector behind the TV - You do not want to damage the HDMI cable coming out of the wall to your TV. Trust me on this one, several of us broke the HDMI end, this is not an easy repair splicing the wires.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:32 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
I’ve been looking at these and need to know how this ends.

Mike
Rocket53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:50 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Joining for innovative solutions.

Currently, I run coax from the Satellite output (at the jumper) to the Wally and HDMI from the Wally to the TV. If I want to access the antenna, I have to crawl under the dinnete (no easy feat!) and screw in the jumper. Tried a splitter which doesn't work because the Wally needs to talk to the Dish. Do they make splitters without diodes?
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
OK; so I took the bait and purchased the King Tailgater which came with the free Walley receiver for under $300 yesterday. I can not find the thread with pictures on how to connect the Walley inside the AS on our 2017 28'? Friend of mine has a 23D and also purchased...can't find out how to connect to the existing set up. If there are pictures from someone who has done this recently, or at least good instructions, would appreciate directing me to the thread. I see some folks are using a "splitter" or "switch"; again, any direction on doing this is appreciated.

Friend called AS yesterday and service guys got all excited on the phone and said he should take to them for installation, since AS is not set up to add the satellite and it is complicated....is it?
same here...gulp...absolutely nothing in the wally box re hookup.

So I guess the million dollar questions is....where in the interior does the exterior Sat connection terminate? My TV and cable connection is CS and the exterior cable/Sat Jbox is DS.

I presumed connection at the cable connection/antenna booster button in my model adjacent to the TV. That would be too easy. I pulled that cover off once and immediately backed off when I saw all the birds nest....not wanting to advertantl loosen a connection. I had planed to make the coax to Wally connection by setting the wally on the refer top at the TV and adj coax connection, then connect the wally with the HDMI to the TV, again presuming there is an open slot. Nice and clean something along the lines of Ice Man's scenario but hopefully a little more accessible

Not really interested in removing the DVD much less opening the cabinet myself. I'd simply like to setup and connect the walley on an as needed basis...hopefully residing on the refer top by the TV (in our 20)

Like Rocket5 said (Mike) I’ve been looking at these and need to know how this ends.

Bob

on the Cosmic side...ran in the dealer's service adviser at the store today...before I read this thread. Hoping not to go down that rabbit hole
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:35 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
So I guess the million dollar questions is....where in the interior does the exterior Sat connection terminate?
What year is your AS? Some notes on the prewire of late model AS's.

1. The outside cable port feeds both TV's via coax cable.
2. The DVD feeds both TV's via HDMI
3. The outside sat port terminates in the cabinet box holding the DVD and is not connected. AS wired it this way so that an owner could install a sat service and feed both TV's via the HDMI prewire. (Too bad they didn't prewire both TV's with a second pair of HDMI cables so that the DVD and sat could co-exist.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post

Not really interested in removing the DVD much less opening the cabinet myself. I'd simply like to setup and connect the walley on an as needed basis...hopefully residing on the refer top by the TV (in our 20)
Which will you use more - the DVD or a sat connection? If the former, then do it your way but the Wally will only feed the dinette TV.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:51 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
I'm having the same questions so I appreciate this thread. My question is; If I take apart the cabinet that the DVD sits on and find the cable you are describing, (and I'm assuming it's a coaxial cable) would it be possible to get a coaxial splitter so I can plug both the DVD player and the Wally in?
Hey there Gypsyniner....how did your installation go? Can you please post pictures of your set up with identifiers on what cable is what, so all us Raider fans can see what you did? Looks confusing...why didn't AS just make the cable accessible? Appreciate your help.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:11 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
would it be possible to get a coaxial splitter so I can plug both the DVD player and the Wally in?
Does you dish get power through the coax? Mine did. So yes, you can use a splitter, but in the side going to the DVD I added a "DC block" so voltage only showed up at the dish and not the DVD (or switch) I got all the parts at Radio Shack, but I'm sure Amazon sells the same.
https://www.amazon.com/Ancable-F-Typ...70_&dpSrc=srch
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Make sure the first time you setup the wally (this is every time your region changes), to run the sat cable directly to the wally. After it is running, you can move to the external sat connector. Dish is very clear about this and, I had problems until I did this.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasams View Post
What year is your AS? Some notes on the prewire of late model AS's.

1. The outside cable port feeds both TV's via coax cable.
2. The DVD feeds both TV's via HDMI
3. The outside sat port terminates in the cabinet box holding the DVD and is not connected. AS wired it this way so that an owner could install a sat service and feed both TV's via the HDMI prewire. (Too bad they didn't prewire both TV's with a second pair of HDMI cables so that the DVD and sat could co-exist.)

Which will you use more - the DVD or a sat connection? If the former, then do it your way but the Wally will only feed the dinette TV.
Thanks dasams. We have a 2014 FC which has a exterior DS sat/cable connection and inside (still DS) a dinette with the stereo/DVD in the overhead directly above the dinette. On the CS the TV and the cable/antenna connection are located above the refer cabinet. While we have cable in the bed area, we only have the one TV. I presume the cable to the TV and the connection above the bed storage are in tact. I pulled both cover plates and both are connected to coax.

We originally used the DVD to play music discs...buy I was not able to figure out how to get music thru the stereo speakers, but had to have the TV on and music thru the TV speakers. I've heard there is a way on C2?? but frankly have not tried again and abandoned that in favor of a 16GB small flash drive with upwards of 170 CD's loaded that connects in the stereo tray (or exterior) USB connection.

Your suggestions make me possibly rethink the use of the DVD. We do use it for movies, but not anywhere as often as the TV...gotta have Fox news which is the reason for the Sat/Dish. For us their $44.99 smart package on the pay as you go fits the bill.

I need to look but I don't think there s room for both the DVD & the Wally. Maybe a portable DVD player plugged in directly to the TV is the ticket. At least I could locate it in TV proximity. I think I'm going to go chat with CW and the AS dealer. I had enough trouble with a new Comcast box at home (that turned out to be bad) and think this will be a hire and teach situation.

turk123....thanks for the tip. I suspect this will make more sense once I run thru connection a few times, but I'll take note.

Bob
Old 04-29-2018, 01:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Make sure the first time you setup the wally (this is every time your region changes), to run the sat cable directly to the wally. After it is running, you can move to the external sat connector. Dish is very clear about this and, I had problems until I did this.
I hear you, but I don't understand. The coax at the outside jack is a direct run to the connector in the DVD box, isn't it? It should work the same as a coax through the door or a window.

Al
Old 04-29-2018, 03:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I wired my previous house but 12VDC & electronics are a different beast for me. I’m trying to get my arms wrapped around the existing cabling & connections as some of the discussion indicates 2 tv’s.

I have only 1 TV + a DVD/BR + a stereo

1. Cable at exterior connection is a home run (possibly thru a splitter) behind the connector plate cable connection/booster button by the TV. The other leg (thru the splitter?) is a home run from the antenna to this same connection plate. Maybe this is also an A/B switch? Push the button to boost the antenna signal and block the antenna signal. Release the button for the cable signal and blocking the antenna signal. ???

2. DVD I presume is powered by an 110VAC dupe behind the whiteboard fascia in the overhead stereo/dvd compartment. If so, like someone said, keep under the bed and when needed plug in to 110VAC and connect to the TV via a HDMI, possibly requiring the remove of existing HDMI connection. Not sure if there are 1 or 2.

3. Current SAT homerun from Exterior connection to stereo cabinet is not connected to anything.

4. Dish coax connects to the exterior connection and via the home run (unconnected in the DVD cabinet) needs to be connected to the Wally’s input coax connection. The HDMI output on the Wally connects to the TV via the HDMI cable currently utilized by the DVD>TV.

5. If I want to keep the DVD I need an A/B switch whose output is HDMI to the TV and input (2) is the DVD & Wally. Maybe this (DVD or Wally…whichever is the temporary unit) could reside along with the AB switch in the small open shelf area above the stereo.

6. I’m confused as to the coax splitter references. Seems the HDMI is what needs to be split or actually A/B on the input side (output to TV). Is there a Coax input connection to the DVD?

Thanks to you all in advance for your corrections and or comments.

Bob
Old 04-29-2018, 04:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
With a couple exceptions you have it right:

Cable at exterior connection is a home run (possibly thru a splitter) behind the connector plate cable connection/booster button by the TV. The other leg (thru the splitter?) is a home run from the antenna to this same connection plate. Maybe this is also an A/B switch? Push the button to boost the antenna signal and block the antenna signal. Release the button for the cable signal and blocking the antenna signal. ???

(possibly thru a splitter) -If you have the separate SAT and CABLE connectors on the outside, there is no splitter on the CABLE input. The CABLE coax runs to the control board. The push button acts as an A-B switch to select ANTENNA or CABLE to route via coax to the internal TVs.

(thru the splitter?) - Assuming you meant the splitter you mentioned with the CABLE input, no. The control panel has two functions - select between CABLE and ANTENNA, and provide power to the preamp in the antenna head. The CABLE coax is connected to the control circuit board, just like the ANTENNA coax.

boost the antenna signal and block the antenna signal - i think you meant block the CABLE signal.

You do, however, have the general concept down.

Al

Old 04-29-2018, 05:19 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I hear you, but I don't understand. The coax at the outside jack is a direct run to the connector in the DVD box, isn't it? It should work the same as a coax through the door or a window.

Al
That's what you would think! My wally would not connect no matter what I tried. I called Dish and they said do not go through any other wiring on the trailer. As soon as I hooked it directly, it worked the very first time.

After you run through the setup and everything is working, move the cable to the outside. You won't need to change this until you move to another location.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote