Old 03-03-2020, 09:46 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
My WiFi/ Cellular solution

For years I have used a WiFi Ranger on a telescoping pole, mounted in a piece of PVC pipe when I park at a campsite. However, there was no cellular in this arrangement. I was/am loathe to mount an antenna on the roof and have to mess with removing the refrigerator to feed a wire down into the trailer so most current solutions are no go.
I decided to stick with my current concept and bought a Pepwave Max Mk2 router with a Poynting MIMO antenna giving cellular and WiFi. Because this antenna is heavier, I wanted a better pole and a recent post pointed to Metalsdepot.com, where I purchased a thick wall Al tube for mounting and found a right angle mount. Although I used some tie wraps for insurance, the antenna is solidly screwed through the mount into the threaded ports in the bottom of the antenna. The power is provided through the black/red cable that I plug in the battery box when I want to use the system. The gray box on the propane tank cover is the router mounted in a waterproof electrical box. No holes, easy to upgrade, etc.
This arrangement works like a charm in my driveway, picking up all of the neighborhood WiFi and a strong cell signal on ATT. I could insert a second SIM card, but I see no need. My first trip is next week and I am looking forward to seeing how this solution works out in populated and remote locations.
Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02178.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	362449   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02179.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	362450  

lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:19 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

North Augusta , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
For years I have used a WiFi Ranger on a telescoping pole, mounted in a piece of PVC pipe when I park at a campsite. However, there was no cellular in this arrangement. I was/am loathe to mount an antenna on the roof and have to mess with removing the refrigerator to feed a wire down into the trailer so most current solutions are no go.

I decided to stick with my current concept and bought a Pepwave Max Mk2 router with a Poynting MIMO antenna giving cellular and WiFi. Because this antenna is heavier, I wanted a better pole and a recent post pointed to Metalsdepot.com, where I purchased a thick wall Al tube for mounting and found a right angle mount. Although I used some tie wraps for insurance, the antenna is solidly screwed through the mount into the threaded ports in the bottom of the antenna. The power is provided through the black/red cable that I plug in the battery box when I want to use the system. The gray box on the propane tank cover is the router mounted in a waterproof electrical box. No holes, easy to upgrade, etc.

This arrangement works like a charm in my driveway, picking up all of the neighborhood WiFi and a strong cell signal on ATT. I could insert a second SIM card, but I see no need. My first trip is next week and I am looking forward to seeing how this solution works out in populated and remote locations.

Larry

Great idea! How do you ďplug inĒ the power to the antenna and router to the battery box?

saraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Thanks for asking. First of all, my battery box is empty as I have lithiums under the bed. I still have the cables in the battery box, though. I bought a simple two pole marine plug/socket from West Marine and wired the socket to the wires in the box. The plug is attached to the router, which has an in-line fuse. I left wiring in the battery box because of the tongue jack and my TPMS repeater( on the A frame). The battery box has holes in the bottom and I simply feed the plug up through one of the holes and plug it in.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote