Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Severna Park , Maryland
Movie Playback Problem

I have a 2009 28' Flying Cloud I purchased new last year. It came with a 2k+ option that included a Sony DVD/Stereo, Samsung flat screen TV, Sony CD changer and sub woofer. Using an MP3 player or CDs or radio, the sound is great. However, when we play movies/DVDs there is a background "rumble" type noise-not loud; but, enough to be annoying. The movie picture quality is perfect. I'm a low tech guy; but, I studied the Sony owner manual and can come up with no ideas. Anyone have any suggestions? Think this is a defect in the unit or some setting I have wrong? I'm under warranty; but, doubt this would be an area of expertise at an Airstream dealer. Thanks.
sailorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Turn the subwoofer all the way down, or unplug it, and see if the problem remains.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Severna Park , Maryland
Movie Playback Problem

Thanks Overlander63. To really show how low tech I am, where is the volume control on the subwoofer? The subwoofer is under the sofa, hidden away, and I have never seen a knob(not at the trailer right now)-not to say there is not one.
sailorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
this thread might help:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...o-36282-2.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Some of the subwoofers are mounted in a way that you have to unscrew the plastic hold downs and move the subwoofers out and around to find the two controls on it. You fiddle with them until the rumbling goes away.

The subwoofer is always on and uses power, so I installed a switch in one side of the power, shut it off and haven't used it since. A subwoofer in a space that small is probably overkill. The subwoofer installation is not something Airstream can be proud of.

Lately the plastic hold downs have broken and I have to either fix them, or take out the subwoofer and store it someplace.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I agree...it's the subwoofer. Turn it down or off. We find the little groans the subwoofer sometimes makes amusing to a point, but I can understand how it could really bug a true audiophile (which I am not). You say that it happens when you play a DVD but if you play the TV sound through your speakers it will probably do the same thing with the TV.

By the way, when we are dry camping we turn the subwoofer off because it does use more power.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If a customer asks about it, I recommend unhooking it. No one has yet complained about the lack of bass in the trailer.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anniston , Alabama
Our 2009 had the same whine. While at Jackson Center, they installed some type in-line filter which solved the problem completely.

"It is better to wear out than to rust out"......Wally Byam
happycamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote