Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Given the problems with larger Lithium Ion batteries catching on fire, I think it will be a while before they are either safe or cost effective for airstream use. They are still working on issues with vibration, temperature sensitivity and chemistry. What works ok for your cell phone or laptop can be dangerous if you scale it up and it combusts.

Tesla seems to have figured it out - but Fiskar and Boeing seem to really be struggling...

1999 27' Airstream Safari + 2011 Mercedes GL 350 Turbo-diesel + 2021 Ford F150 Platinum Hybrid w/ 7,200 Watt Pro Power
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:16 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

I noticed that Lithionics sells 12volt lithium batts for RV's. Are these not dependable ?
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0557 View Post
I noticed that Lithionics sells 12volt lithium batts for RV's. Are these not dependable ?
I was involved with Lithionics last year. AM Solar did an extensive test on their batteries with the hope that they would be applicable for RV solar use. There were major problems with their hardware and electronics and as I previously mentioned, there currently are no RV charging systems that will recognize the unique characteristics of the Li-ion battery discharge.

They simply aren't there yet! AT least not in this field...........
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Lew
My 4024 was bought in 1999, hardly used. Tied with 8 L16 Rolls Surrettes 350 amp hour batts for residential backup. The batts are long gone,
Are the components in that inverter better quality
Than the Xantrex version?
I have it mounted with the battery disconnect
Inside a waterproof military shipping container
Water sealed 4/0 cables with Anderson 350 amp
Disconnects. I hate to let it go to waste.
Since it is 24volt, all I would is a step down converter from the batteries to the 12volt mains in the AS correct?
Old 02-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Th charge controller is a C-40
Old 02-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Even Xantrex made decent stuff then..unlike the Chinese crap that they try to pawn off as good, reliable equipment now.

A 24 to 12 Volt converter might work, but I would worry about the charge voltages being too high and the amperage too low as they would be in 24 VDC usage.

I would certainly test the step-down unit with the inverter on a cheap battery and see how it processes the 3-stage charging cycles before heading to prime time.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Thanks for the info
Old 11-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
We had a similar problem with our inverter. It was overheating, because the fan was not operating, with little or no load on the unit. The manufacturer recommended we replace it. We didn't do that ! One day we smelled smoke ! Guess what was causing the smoke ! Who knows what would have happened if we weren't home ! Yikes ! If you have an inverter that's acting up, get rid of it !
joanbob27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #29
Winemaker

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
The stock inverter from the factory for our 2012 FC was 800w, when the factory/dealership replaced it they put in a different brand and upgraded it to a 1000w.
rgwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote