Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #21
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I have the old Novatel jetpack. It works well. I agree, the Walmart stuff is iffy, but if you need email or just the basics, it can work.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Wallyworld garbage is only safe if you're staying close to some urban setting and a campground near by it.
Hey Mikekey, I haven't been everywhere but I have always gotten a signal with my trusty Sprint Internet to Go from Wally World. It's Sprint. They will always take stuff back, all but the time card. It is about $60 for the Mifi unit.
Sprint is not as bad as it used to be, especially 3G which is what the ITG Mifi uses. It is not as fast but again, it depends on what you will be doing.

http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?

Straighttalk does not offer hotspot service as far as I know. I understand that some were able to activate it but got shut down. I have their service and HIGHLY recommend it but they do not have the full menu options of the networks they use- ATT, Verizon and TMobile.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
Well, I have Sprint. That is reason enough to not want to rely on it but I have added 2Gb of data tethering. They no longer allow you to use tethering for free with your plan. You have to add data specifically for tethering. Anyway, Yes I can do that but Sprint sucks and optimally, I would love to be able to watch a few episodes of TV along the way on boring nights. Some of the nights while traveling will be just pulling into a rest stop for the night or similar...

Maybe I will just finally install the damn WiFi Ranger and cross my fingers. Use it where possible and say screw it on the other nights...
Old 06-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #24
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
INTERNET Updates?

I meant a straight talk phone as a hotspot .
WFR can pull in some very distant, very free data!
I love my system!
Old 06-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Well, I have Sprint. That is reason enough to not want to rely on it but I have added 2Gb of data tethering.
Then I would get a Wilson SLEEK Universal (it costs more but can also be used with various network frequencies for future proofing) and their beefier antenna and use your phone. Talk to Wilson and they will "hook you up" with the right equipment.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
I meant a straight talk phone as a hotspot .
@Atomic, yes, so do I. I have a straight talk phone with their service but the hot spot feature on my iPhone is blocked. I agree with you on the Millenicom 20 gig deal for lots of data if using a lot.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
OK, so I am looking at the Wilson Amplifier kits. Does anyone have experience with the 50Db Amplifier kits? They are pricier but it seems like it would be a long term solution not only for data but for cellular service as well.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Hmm. This is the only one I have experience with:

Sleek 4G | Store | Wilson Electronics

I cannot remember if it is the NMO antenna or the magnet mount antenna but they matched me to the proper antenna and fitting. They also have the trucker mount for permanent attachment. The Sleek is half the gain of the permanent mount kit you are looking at but it is portable; however, the brick units do not require physical contact like the cradle so there too is an advantage.

Here is a review. There are others too.

http://www.cnet.com/products/wilson-sleek-4g-v/2/
Old 06-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
OK, I think I am gonna take my chances on the Sleek 4G. Seems like a good bet, plus I can move it between the car and trailer as we travel... Thanks for all the info. Later on, I will invest in the Wifi Ranger.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:52 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
So I was just reading on the Wifi Ranger website. They say that you can use the Go Router on it's own without an antenna and that it will boost your signal strength by itself. Then in the future if you desire, you can add an antenna. Also, it says that both antennas work identically. The only differences are the price, the warranty (Lifetime for Ti) and the mounting method. Does anyone have any experience with using just the Go as a standalone product? I am thinking to try it as a start up. If it works great! If not, I can still purchase the antenna...
Old 06-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #31
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
All you read it true and accurate. It is a good stand alone device..... However, the Airstream is a bit of a Faraday cage and little tiny signals often have difficulty finding their way inside our foil wrapped burritos. The Mobile becomes a high mounted antenna, then Ethernet brings the side. You can get the go and it will work great, then add the Mobile and see how much more you find.
It really is a great toy and tool.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #32

1967 20' Globetrotter
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Hey @AtomicNo13, thanks so much for your expertise and thoughts on the Airstream WiFi woes of so many of us. Curious what provider you went through for your MiFi Jetpack? Is this a product that can easily be purchased directly from Verizon, with a new account created?

Or do you need to purchase from Novatel Wireless? Just wondering if you've found a better company to work with.
travistotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #33
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by travistotz View Post
Hey @AtomicNo13, thanks so much for your expertise and thoughts on the Airstream WiFi woes of so many of us. Curious what provider you went through for your MiFi Jetpack? Is this a product that can easily be purchased directly from Verizon, with a new account created?

Or do you need to purchase from Novatel Wireless? Just wondering if you've found a better company to work with.
As stated earlier in the thread: Millenicom ~ They are a reseller of Verizon service. Their 20gb a month plan is white labeled Verizon LTE, same mifi device and all, half the cost, no contract.

Or you can be silly, and just buy from Verizon at additional cost and contract.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:37 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Well, I dropped the cash and went all the way in... I added a Wifi Ranger Sky and saved $100 over the Mobile Ti. The site says it has the same reception but does not have the lifetime warranty. I will take my chances. I also added a Wilson Sleek 4G cell booster which I will use with my Sprint HTC One phone. I plan to use FoxFi to add a backup Wifi Hotspot and not have to pay data overage fees.

Now I just need to keep my fingers crossed and hope that I am near an open Wifi or solid Sprint data service. I will report back on all of this after my trip in July. Thanks for all the advice and help.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:17 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
On a recent 78 day roadtrip through AZ, CA, OR, WA, ID, UT and CO, we covered 5,100 miles, stayed in 29 different (mostly National & State Park) campgrounds, and had mobile broadband service at 24 of these sites (83%). Nearly all locations did not have free campground WiFi; and some locations were so remote that we did not have (Verizon) cell phone service, either.

We used a Millenicom "Hot Spot" (Novatel 4510L MiFi) cellular modem/router (on the Verizon network), with a Cyfre "Extreme Rockies" mobile broadband amplifier and magnetic-mount cellular antenna on a 20-foot pole.

We also have a PepWave Surf-on-the-Go (WiFi as WAN) router that serves the same purpose as the WiFiRanger. However, we did not use it at all during this trip; and it remained in the storage box.

Equipment cost:

• Novatel MiFi model 4510L = $165 (device purchase & setup thru Millenicom.com); monthly service (20GB) = $90

• Cyfre amplifier and antenna (MaximumSignal.net) = $220

• Portable flagpole mount (Amazon.com) = $35

• Antenna pole & miscellaneous mounting hardware (WalMart) = $35

Note: I have no association with any of the vendors for this equipment, other than being a satisfied customer.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
So I received my Wifi Ranger Sky & Go last night. I unpacked it and started playing around. I just plugged it in inside the house to make sure everything is functioning. Of course the first thing I did was change the name of the Network and Password. And then it logs you off automatically. Of course, as luck would have it, I mistyped my usual password. I then spent the next hour trying to reset the system to factory settings because I could no longer log in to the network. I tried everything I found online and then finally realized that I could just hook my computer to the router via ethernet cable and log into the control panel. All seems to be good now...

Now my question. I have my normal internet network in the house and I told the Go2 to remember it and favor it. When I choose the Go2 as my Wifi Network on my computer , and it begins using my home network for internet, it seems very slow even though they are in the same room to each other... Any ideas to troubleshoot this?
Old 06-27-2014, 12:11 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
From the Internet literature, it looks like the WiFiRanger Go2 router has 100 mbps LAN ports, and most modern routers for home use have 1 gigabit ports. That would make the Go2 LAN ports 1/10 as fast as your home router (by design).

What make and model router do you have on your home network? What are the specs on the LAN ports?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
I have a D-Link N Router but I am not sure about the specifics.

Why, at the price we paid, wouldn't Wifi Ranger use a more robust router with the more current 1 gigabit ports?
Old 06-27-2014, 01:10 PM   #39
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Pause and backup.

No ones internet flows at 1 gigabit. Your local area network, transferring two files over a cat6e wire plugged into one of those ports is capable of a theoretical speed of 1 gigabit if you have a 1 gigabit supporting network card in your laptop.

Ok, secondly, are you plugged into the Go with a ethernet cable when you got these results? And was the wifi turned off on your computer? And last question in this series, is the Go connecting to your home internet via wire or wireless?

Lastly as a matter of opinion, the Go is an overpriced router. That's all it is, a router. It has a few advantages over other routers that might make it not so over priced. It's up for debate in my opinion. I'd probably still buy it. (maybe) It connects easily with the other Wifi-Ranger products, and the one thing it has over other routers is that you can USB your hotspot into it.

But how many devices do you need in your network is up to you.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #40
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Crabbey good question to ask the folks at Ranger since the WFR has been out for at least 3 or more years.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote