Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Niagara-on-the-Lake , Ontario
Internet Connectivity for Netflix

I apologize if this topic has been discussed elsewhere but this confused Canadian needs some help please. My wife and I travel to the southern US for 4 plus months each winter with our Airstream Trailer. We usually stay a month or two at a time in various RV parks. The RV Park's WIFI has not been dependable. We would like to watch Netflix. Technology and data plans are constantly improving faster then I can keep up. What do Canadians travelling to the US currently do to watch Netflix without it costing a small fortune?? I look forward to your suggestions. Thank you.
TedandPam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
I am not Canadian, though I do watch a good bit of Netflix. I highly recommend a phone or tablet with the Netflix app and lots of storage, so you can download shows when you have wifi and watch them offline. Saves a ton of bandwidth.

We have a Verizon jetpack that will still stream OK when we hit throttled data. We use it mostly for work, but works pretty good for Netflix when we have a decent signal.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
If you go to an area that has good Verizon wireless service and you can afford the data rate, the Verizon Jetpack MiFi7730L is a good WIFI hotspot to connect devices to.

I use the Jetpack feeding a ROKU Ultra that has Netflix and a whole bunch of other online sources for entertainment. The Roku attaches to a TV via HDMI.

I also use the jetpack for my laptop via a USB cable.

In US$ you can get both for about $200, the only problem is that the cost of data can be high if you watch a lot of movies online.

Bring a small DVD player for those rainy days in places with no service.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
I worked in television and video production for decades. I understand that people want to watch TV over the internet. This is like wanting to send an elephant through a straw. It can be done, but it will cost you and oh, the poor elephant will never be the same.

Let me presume that what you really want is to watch movies or binge tv shows. What if you could watch whatever you want with no lag, no long download times, no buffering, no loss of signal, and have perfect picture and sound no matter where you are -- all at very affordable rates?

You have several great options: 1) DVD and blu-ray. 2) Download what you want before you go onto a DVR or other storage device. Add an old fashioned TV antenna, and you can watch live TV -- all without ever touching the internet on the road.

Did you ever want to balance your checkbook on your television set? Why do you want to watch movies on a computer? The internet was never designed for live video (not that we can't FORCE IT, but it still doesn't work very well, and it co$t$ you).

Trying to watch video 1)over the internet 2)via cellular connection is the worst way currently (im)possible. Why go though that pain and misery when other options work so much better?
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:02 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
Fair warning, Im not Canadian.

After a few months of jumpy media and poor stream quality heres what we did....

I upgraded my TV to a Samsung that will screen mirror from my Samsung phone.

I have Netflix set to auto-download the next episodes of my shows onto my phone anytime I'm on wifi. If we want to watch a movie, I download that manually to my phone when I'm on wifi.

Then I play the media on my phone but screen mirror it to the TV.

For news, I use NBC or CBS news apps and screen mirror those. They can't be downloaded thst I know of, so I have to use/have data stream for those.
mammothmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Hey, wait a minute! Where's the mandatory troll admonishing us to not even contemplate electronics in the Great Outdoors?

Anyway, I was able to upgrade my Verizon plan to GO UNLIMITED 55+ LOYALTY, which has unlimited streaming, for $90/month (two lines). Maybe this might work for you? I do find the Airstream acts like a Faraday cage, and blocks a lot of the signal. Cellular boosters are pretty pricey, especially for a weekend warrior like myself. Put the phone in a bag, and hang it out the window?

I think that Netflix is also available through some satellite providers, but can't personally speak to that.
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyHomemakr View Post
Hey, wait a minute! Where's the mandatory troll admonishing us to not even contemplate electronics in the Great Outdoors?

Anyway, I was able to upgrade my Verizon plan to GO UNLIMITED 55+ LOYALTY, which has unlimited streaming, for $90/month (two lines). Maybe this might work for you? I do find the Airstream acts like a Faraday cage, and blocks a lot of the signal. Cellular boosters are pretty pricey, especially for a weekend warrior like myself. Put the phone in a bag, and hang it out the window?

I think that Netflix is also available through some satellite providers, but can't personally speak to that.

That plan only works in these states:
Quote:
Get two Unlimited lines
for $80/mo if you're 55
and over and live in Florida,
Illinois or Missouri.

That is geographic discrimination!
Old 10-03-2018, 10:58 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
[QUOTE=skyguyscott;2163803]I worked in television and video production for decades. I understand that people want to watch TV over the internet. This is like wanting to send an elephant through a straw. It can be done, but it will cost you and oh, the poor elephant will never be the same.

I worked in TV/Film production for decades - also music record production so the mp3 thing does horrible things to my mixes, BUT modern video CODECS are far superior than even a few years ago! They have shrunk the elephant but he doesn't look worse for wear! It makes watchin' Netflix (or any streaming service) over my Android phone a gas to relax with. The blotchy squares are so small you cant perceive them not too mention Netflix has algos that match the data rate to the device. The smaller the screen, the less worry (a good example would be early Ted Turner Movie Classics when they digitized old movies with Flintstone codecs of the day - you would watch Bogie and Bacall in blocky black and white on a TV.
So as I still havent gotten to balancing my checkbook over the big screen, I could- that is if i have to balance a check book at all (that is sooooo 20th century). Like our Canadian friends, I do EVERYTHING over the net - plus getting hired and paid which allows me the vagabond lifestyle that many can only dream of.

Bottom line- modern streaming services are just fine for modern devices.
It's the big telecoms that over charge for data rates that is the sticky part of this deal.
When data rates come in line, then the Verizon hot spot dealio would be a better choice than Hughesnet, because they don't have it completely figgered out either
And this is a problem I'm tryin to solve, not just for entertainment but because my business depends on it. (Yes, I follow the TechNomads, GoneWiththeWynns, etc. occasionally but still no definitive solution for net access in the boonies, mostly in the mountain and desert west).
I want at least 30 gigs/mo for <$50.
I would hope that a REAL solution is forthcoming, and soon.
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:58 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
I've encountered a few downsides with streaming over a cellular connection (YMMV):

1. I'm frequently in an area that doesn't seem to have great service. So, when it streams, it buffers quite a bit
2. The quality of my streaming seems better intended for viewing on my phone/iPad such that when it's on the big TV, it's not as sharp as I'd prefer

Given the sometimes spotty connection/quality, I would also recommend downloads onto a device as a good back-up in case you encounter issues. Since you'll probably go places that have decent wifi, you can use those opportunities to download things to your phone/table and then watch later.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Yes I agree that the new codecs have come along way, but have you noticed they keep moving the goalposts? What about 4K video now?

And as everyone points out, trying to live stream anything via cellular connection if you are not in one of the major metro areas is an exercise in frustration Made all the more infuriating by the outrageous rates you’ll have to pay. Someday, sure but today a TV antenna,, a DVR, Blu-ray and pre-downloading content is the easiest, cheapest, least frustrating way to go
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:23 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Astoria , Oregon
We have been stationary at an RV park for 1 1/2 years now but will start traveling in less than a month. Our park Wifi signal is not strong enough to stream Netflix or Amazon Prime. I solved this problem by purchasing a booster kit from technorv.com. The kit comes with an antenna, an inside repeater and optional suction cup to hold the antenna. I mounted the antenna inside our Flying Cloud because we have direct sight to the antenna but it normally is mounted outside the vehicle. 99% of the time we have great reception and can watch anything we like. If the population of the park is high we have some hangups but overall this has been a great investment and might work for you. It's called the Camp Pro Kit 2 and sells for $187.99.
tschambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:47 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Saint Thomas , Ontario
From another Canadian who has tried downloading Netflix content to take it on the road with me, my experience is that I can only watch that downloaded Netflix content on the device it was downloaded to. This is a Netflix restriction which you can Google. My take is that it is all about some Digital Rights Management entanglement.

In other words, if you are using the Netflix iPad App and you try to use an HDMI iPad adapter to connect your iPhone or iPad to your TV - it won’t work. This includes AirPlay.

Note Amazon Prime does work well with downloads and AirPlay at least for now.

This is my experience - I would be happy to stand corrected if somebody has resolved this Netflix restriction.
R
CoorsLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:03 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
[QUOTE=CoorsLite;2164274]From another Canadian who has tried downloading Netflix content to take it on the road with me, my experience is that I can only watch that downloaded Netflix content on the device it was downloaded to. This is a Netflix restriction which you can Google. My take is that it is all about some Digital Rights Management entanglement.

You can do it using screen mirroring, which is what I do. I download to my phone, play on the phone but screen mirror to the an upgraded Samsung TV (costco, $149).. Works.really well.

I can screen mirror any content... prime, news apps, YouTube, etc.
mammothmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:51 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Saint Thomas , Ontario
That's great that it works for you. I too can mirror (almost) anything from my iPhone to my TV, in my case using my onboard Apple TV. Except when I use the Netflix App. Using the Netflix App with a hard-wired HDMI adapter OR AirPlay results in Audio only over the TV.

From my research Netflix updated their App to prevent mirroring or any playback for that matter from their App. It is possible you have any older Netflix App installed. If so -don't update it!

Here is a better description if you are interested:
https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/137775
CoorsLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:05 AM   #15
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I'm not from Canada, but was married to a Canadian redhead for many wonderful years, eh?
I'm a full-timer, and I wanted unrestricted, unthrottled, 24-hr streaming-quality Internet anywhere I dropped an anchor. Giving up home-based Direct TV and Internet and telephone plans for fast Internet seemed like at least an even trade.
I went to Unlimitedville I've been on the road four months and all across the United States. So far, whether in the Plains or the Rockies or the coast, I get excellent >5 Mbps speeds (29 Mbps down, 37 Mbps up this morning) every single place I have been.
Worth every penny. I laugh at your campground Wi-Fi.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:42 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
Yes I agree that the new codecs have come along way, but have you noticed they keep moving the goalposts? What about 4K video now?

And as everyone points out, trying to live stream anything via cellular connection if you are not in one of the major metro areas is an exercise in frustration Made all the more infuriating by the outrageous rates you’ll have to pay. Someday, sure but today a TV antenna,, a DVR, Blu-ray and pre-downloading content is the easiest, cheapest, least frustrating way to go

4k would be hard to do if you have any sort of cap. At home I have downloaded 4k movie rips and they range in size from 5-8 gigs to 30-50 gigs depending on the movie.
powerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
Hartwell , Georgia
I just called Verizon today (from Georgia) and changed my plan to unlimited 55+. He had to look a bit to find the plan, but the savings were $50 per month for me!
NMoureau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:35 PM   #18
Jwf
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2018 33' Classic
Ashburn , VA
Coming soon

I got an email from AS saying they are working on a deal with AT&T for WiFi access for us all. They will have 2 plans: unlimited data for $300 a year I think and a 5GB plan for $25.

It will also include a WiFi booster and hot spot for using campsite WiFi service too.
Jwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:17 PM   #19
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMoureau View Post
I just called Verizon today (from Georgia) and changed my plan to unlimited 55+. He had to look a bit to find the plan, but the savings were $50 per month for me!
This is great news! Being from Georgia, how did you get around the requirement for a billing address in Florida, Illinois or Missouri? The FAQ seems to indicate the plan is only for residents of those states.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschambo View Post
We have been stationary at an RV park for 1 1/2 years now but will start traveling in less than a month. Our park Wifi signal is not strong enough to stream Netflix or Amazon Prime. I solved this problem by purchasing a booster kit from technorv.com. The kit comes with an antenna, an inside repeater and optional suction cup to hold the antenna. I mounted the antenna inside our Flying Cloud because we have direct sight to the antenna but it normally is mounted outside the vehicle. 99% of the time we have great reception and can watch anything we like. If the population of the park is high we have some hangups but overall this has been a great investment and might work for you. It's called the Camp Pro Kit 2 and sells for $187.99.
We also have the Alpha Camp Pro, it work great, we have connected to open networks almost a quarter mile away. HOWEVER, the network MUST HAVE available bandwith, remember if the data is not there nothing will speed it up.
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote