Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Installing metal valve stems.

I've purchased a TST TPMS, but prior to installing the sensors I decided that I needed(?) metal valve stems.
Having this notion that I can do it better than a garage, I tackled the project yesterday, and I thought I'd give you the results, if anyone is contemplating doing theirs.
First, I have Sendel T-2 rims, with GY Endurance tires.
I enlisted the help of an handy-man, who is happy to do the heavy lifting. I could do it but it would take 10 times as long.

I sourced two types of metal stems the Dill TR-416's standard, and the Dill 902-W with the shoulder nut. There's no Discount Tire within 40 miles of me but they're the best source.
I used a floor jack under the axle support rail.
Jacking was harder than I thought, because on the street side the holding tank cover comes pretty close, and the low point drain is between the wheels. Break that and I'm doomed.

So I used a small area in front of the wheels and up it went, followed by a jack stand behind the rear wheel.
The lug nuts are a 13/16" and require a thin wall socket. I brought a tire lug wrench and it didn't work.

Now for the valve. Breaking the bead was easy using a Beadbreaker and a cordless drill. It was one of those purchases that I thought might come in handy later too.
Having access to the rear of the rubber stem, I cut about half way through, and pulled up on the stem using the tool that screws onto the threads. The rubber stem just popped out in one piece, nothing fell inside the tire (Phew!)
There is NO way the Dill 416 stem would fit. The machined area was too small for even the washer to lie flat, and there's no access for the wrench or nut. So the 902-W was the winner. With the bead down, I slipped it in, and using a short strip of 1/4" plywood to hold it in position, nothing fell out until the washers and nut were secured.

Now for the bad news. My Viair 12 v compressor which works great for adjusting pressure can't supply enough volume of air to pop the bead back on the rim. I used all my red neck, shade tree, tricks and nothing worked. I could see where the air escaped, always near the valve, but couldn't press the bead long enough to get it to pop on.
(If I had a ratchet strap long enough to fit around the circumference, maybe that would have worked.)
I surrendered and took the tires to a nearby tire place and they were kind enough to use their mega compressor and in 15 seconds, they had it.
After the tires were back on, I felt great that the metal stems were now installed. (and I finally got to use that torque wrench to tighten the nuts!) My tool kit will now get a thin wall 13/16" socket and a 3" extension for my breaker bar.

My conclusion? If I had it to do over, and if there was a tire shop not too far that I trusted, (That's a lot of If's) I'd pull two tires and take them in pairs to get the stems installed.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
For future endeavors... you don't need to jack with a dual axel. Simply drive up on to a couple of 2x8 scraps and let the second set of wheels dangle. Don't forget to chock the wheels though!
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
For future endeavors... you don't need to jack with a dual axel. Simply drive up on to a couple of 2x8 scraps and let the second set of wheels dangle. Don't forget to chock the wheels though!
Yes, good tip.
I even have one of those plastic ramps in case I need to fix a tire on the road. But using a jack allowed me to take two wheels off and not have the truck hooked up, we worked from the tailgate.
I did chock the wheels.
My post already looked like a term paper, so I left off some details.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
There's always learning to do.
I couldn't reseat the bead (on three of four) with my Viair 400, so I took them to a tire store.
BUT, I learned that removing the valve core allows MORE volume of air to rush into the tire and seat the bead.
So simple, and yet I never thought of it!
Old 07-13-2020, 12:18 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Where did you purchase your valve stems? A quick check of Amazon came up short.
WBCCI#8934
prostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostar View Post

If your aluminum wheels have the recess hole you might want to get bolt in metal stems with "Shoulder Nut" as regular bolt in stems have larger nut which does not fit down in the hole. You can check eBay as I see them there occasionally
Old 09-21-2021, 01:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostar View Post
Discount Tire.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I ended up having a mobile tire repair service meet me at my Airstream. They had all four valve stems replaced in about an hour and I never had to move the trailer. I'd do that again for sure!

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote