Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
Install of garmin reverse camera in Sport 22FB

hello

I have installed the garmin reverse camera in my Sport 22FB. I took most of one day and lots of planning

The camera was install above the read bathroom window. most people say to mount to high and NOT on the license plate. I bough a wide role of the RV sealing tape and it work very well. Get the extra wide, you can always cut it down.

Inside i placed the wireless transmitter just outside the bathroom door so that it had line-of-sight to the front window to ensure easy coverage from the front of the TV

I powered it off the license plate light. Why? i can turn the camera on just by turning on the TV light. This will illuminate the rear courtesy light. A much better ideas than using reverse lights ( which do not exist in the Sport)

The other picture show the path of the cabling through the plastic wire loom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin camera above bathroom window.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	288974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin camera transmitter Top Left of bathroom door.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	288975  

Name:	hole in wall where camera cable enters bathrrom.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	288976   Click image for larger version

Name:	plastic trim hiding camera cables.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	288977  

waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:40 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I'm hoping that after all that work the camera works ok.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Garmin camera

I too am interested in your results. I will be installing the camera soon, but I bought extension cables so I can mount the transmitter in the front window. Best of luck.
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:28 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
I installed a Garmin camera inside the rear window with Gopro parts. The transmitter lays on the bed and powered by the television 12v power outlet. The camera works up to about 200 ft.

John
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:35 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
Garmin inside

Here's a photo of the camera attached to the rear window, I think. When not in use, we detach the camera from the transmitter.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	garmin camera inside.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	289001  
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:12 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
hello

I have installed the garmin reverse camera in my Sport 22FB. I took most of one day and lots of planning

The camera was install above the read bathroom window. most people say to mount to high and NOT on the license plate. I bough a wide role of the RV sealing tape and it work very well. Get the extra wide, you can always cut it down.

Inside i placed the wireless transmitter just outside the bathroom door so that it had line-of-sight to the front window to ensure easy coverage from the front of the TV

I powered it off the license plate light. Why? i can turn the camera on just by turning on the TV light. This will illuminate the rear courtesy light. A much better ideas than using reverse lights ( which do not exist in the Sport)

The other picture show the path of the cabling through the plastic wire loom
Nice job and very interesting how the different Airstreams require different installations. I have not idea how I can install the Garmin backup in my 28' International although this gave me a few ideas I hadn't thought of.... Hope it works for you. -John
John Geisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:59 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Burlington , Vermont
I bought the Voyager WVOM43. It's a backup/observation camera. I like knowing what is directly behind me even when I'm going forward. That's why they put rear view mirrors in vehicles...right? It's powered off the center running light. The local RV shop installed it. No wires are visible. I'm VERY happy with it. Since it is much safer to have your running lights on all the time, it's not a big deal to have them on. It's not like I'm running up my electrical bill.
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:38 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
I bought the Voyager WVOM43. It's a backup/observation camera. I like knowing what is directly behind me even when I'm going forward. That's why they put rear view mirrors in vehicles...right? It's powered off the center running light. The local RV shop installed it. No wires are visible. I'm VERY happy with it. Since it is much safer to have your running lights on all the time, it's not a big deal to have them on. It's not like I'm running up my electrical bill.
Hi

Did you rewire the trailer for "running lights on always" or do you still turn them on and off from the TV?

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:55 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Burlington , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Did you rewire the trailer for "running lights on always" or do you still turn them on and off from the TV?

Bob

I did not have to do any rewiring. Simply turning on either the parking lights or head lights on the TV will activate the camera. You do, of course have to "Pair" the camera with the display. This appears to be a one-time step so the cam & display can communicate with each other exclusively without interference from nearby RV systems. You simply press the "Pairing Button" on the display until you see a picture of what is behind your trailer and you are done!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote