Old 07-05-2019, 04:50 PM   #1
Bulldog Dad

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Montréal , QC
How to Adjust Your Sound System Bass and other.

I'm a sound engineer by trade. I can absolutely teach you how to get the best sound out of your Airstream. No matter your Airstream make or model.

1- Find your bass subwoofer. Pull the panel. Not sure how for your make and model? Call Airstream customer service. They are great!

2- Turn off all the sound equalizers on your devices. It just muddies the waters.

3- On the head unit...the stereo chummy, turn off all the sound altering settings. Choose off for everything.

4- Here comes the fun part. Because you now have a clear signal to your subwoofer.

5- There are two buttons on it. One is called Gain and the other is Freq.

6- By feel only set the Freq button to 20%.

7- By feel only set your Gain to 90%.

8- Test it using a rocking Rolling Stones song.

9- That's it! Enjoy! Thank me later!

AIRBULLDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRBULLDOGS View Post
I'm a sound engineer by trade. I can absolutely teach you how to get the best sound out of your Airstream. No matter your Airstream make or model.

1- Find your bass subwoofer. Pull the panel. Not sure how for your make and model? Call Airstream customer service. They are great!

2- Turn off all the sound equalizers on your devices. It just muddies the waters.

3- On the head unit...the stereo chummy, turn off all the sound altering settings. Choose off for everything.

4- Here comes the fun part. Because you now have a clear signal to your subwoofer.

I agree! The subwoofer that came with my Classic had only one input hooked up. Couldn't even hear that as the gain and frequency was turned all the way down.

Come on Airstream! What are you selling us??? !!!!

A good tip for all that own Airstreams with the good subwoofer. By the way, you literally have to prey a little door off to get to the controls. Throw the door away.

turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRBULLDOGS View Post

I'll be checkin' this out some time tomorrow, for sure. Thanks.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Ok, so as a long time audiophile this thread caught my attention and I immediately went out to the trailer with a couple of CD's and a flashlight to locate the subwoofer and the aforementioned controls.

In my 30' Classic the subwoofer is located under the recliner at the front of the trailer and is part of the factory Polk sound system. The subwoofer enclosure is fairly shallow, is mounted on a wooden platform, and fires upward toward the center seating position. In the photos below you can see the sub as well as the platform and the black cable which contains the power and audio connections which enter the enclosure at the right rear.

There's not a lot of room under there but I've felt all around the enclosure and can't find any buttons or controls, nor can I locate an access panel. The subwoofer is out in the open, perched on the platform, but I can't see any way to adjust anything. Am I missing something?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	woofer 1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	345544   Click image for larger version

Name:	woofer 2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	345548  

2018 30' Classic Twin (sold)
2020 25' Globetrotter Twin (here!)
2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:41 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
I’m going to have to try this. I didn’t have any idea what to do with the frequency knob but set the gain up until at an average level (subjective of course) the bass was just becoming obvious but not obtrusive. I’ll go back and check frequency and then see how the gain compares to your suggestion.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post

There's not a lot of room under there but I've felt all around the enclosure and can't find any buttons or controls, nor can I locate an access panel. The subwoofer is out in the open, perched on the platform, but I can't see any way to adjust anything. Am I missing something?
Remove a few screws to get the sub from under the sofa. Very short screwdriver or ratchet wrench.

There is a small area (mine was on the right side) that you will see a small plastic cover. If I remember it was about two inches long. It does not look like a door. Use a screwdriver to pry the cover off. Don't worry about damaging it as you no longer need it. I wish my trailer was here to take a picture. Sorry.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
You cannot get at the cover without removing the sub from under the sofa.

In this picture I found of mine, the cover was on the right side. The red and white connectors on mine were very loose. Tape them with some electrical tape to keep them from coming apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5381_res (1).jpg
Views:	33
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	345571  
Old 07-06-2019, 06:22 AM   #8
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
These pics are from a previous post and they are on my 33 Classic but it looks like the same subwoofer. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0019.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	345574Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0020.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	463.4 KB
ID:	345575
JDG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
turk123 and JDG...thanks for the tips and photos. I'll make another run at it today and see what I can find.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:03 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Now if. . .

Now, if there were just a remote that I could use to turn down the booming from other people's base - so that the bones in my ears would stop jumping.

I'm super sensitive to base noises and it hurts!

Not that people usually care. . . .
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
I found the control panel...it's on the right hand side of the sub enclosure as turk123 described. As a side note, I didn't have to pry off the plastic access panel as I discovered that it actually slides upward for removal so I didn't have to destroy it. Also, I managed to get to the adjustment screws with a long, thin screwdriver without having to remove the sub from under the couch.

As indicated, the frequency crossover adjustment (which ranges from 60Hz to 200Hz) was set all the way to the left at 60 and the gain control was set at zero. I've initially set the crossover at what I estimate to be about 100Hz and the gain to 60% and will play with them to see what sounds best to me.

Anyway, a nice and completely cost free upgrade to the sound system in our AS. Thanks so much, Airbulldogs, for the tip!

Old 07-06-2019, 01:48 PM   #12
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Timely post. I've been crawling around the past two days doing a 6v battery install and found the two knobs on the subwoofer. Both were cranked. I changed them both to the 'middle', but will go back and try your recommendation. Also I think I have bass 'boost' on at the head unit, will turn that and any equalizers off as you recommend. Thanks for the tips.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Thanks for the info!
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:21 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Lady Lake , Florida
Thank you

First time I turned on our sound system I though OMG WTH is this noise.

After crawling around under the 25 ft rear dinette seat I kinda did what you taught with sound feed back but now have printed out your instructions and will fine tune at the radio control head and the TV

Appreciate so much you sharing this with all.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Heck fire, I'd be happy (after many unsuccessful attempts) just to be able to turn off the sound in the rear and play it only in the front!
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:01 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderabob View Post
Heck fire, I'd be happy (after many unsuccessful attempts) just to be able to turn off the sound in the rear and play it only in the front!
There should be a " fade" selection wherever your base / treble and balance selections are. Just use that selection to move the fade from 50/50 to 100% in the front.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:06 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Charlotte , NC
Flying Cloud 30FB Bunk Subwoofer location?

This looks like excellent advice. Can anyone advise if the same controls exist directly on subwoofer in Flying Cloud bunk? If so - where is the subwoofer located? Thanks!
SteelyRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:11 AM   #18
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Would you mind if I used the Beatles as a test song?
Old 07-10-2019, 05:46 AM   #19
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Ok, on the 2017 25a FC the sub is under the lounge table. The feed and gain are located on the left side of the sub and are open with with long knobs for easy access. The original settings on my unit were almost off. In the past I wondered if the sub even worked.

Sound is amazing now, thank you. It’s like a blanket has been lifted off the music.

Question: on the head there are two settings that cannot be turned off: HPF and LPF. It only offers “through” and then 60, 90 and 120. Any suggestions for these settings?

Thank you!
Old 07-10-2019, 06:43 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
I'm going to assume your stereo is set up with separate signals for the subwoofer and regular speakers. In that case the signal going to your regular speakers uses the HPF which is a "high pass filter". It lets any frequency above the setting "through" (blocks low frequencies). It's used to block out low frequencies that the regular speakers can't produce, or can't produce with much volume before distorting. The LPF does the opposite. It lets low frequencies pass (blocks high frequencies) and sends that signal to the subwoofer so it does not duplicate the high frequencies of the regular speakers.

The "through" setting probably means the HPF and LPF are off. In the off position you are sending "full" signal to both the regular speakers and the subwoofer. The problem that could create is overly loud mid-frequencies where the subwoofer and regular speakers frequencies overlap. But, the OP's recommended should work well with those off since the regular speaker simply can't reproduce low frequencies and the sub has a built in HPF which he provided a recommended setting for.

I leave the LPF that is built into the subwoofer wide open and use the LPF control on the stereo because it makes it easier to mess with the settings from the stereo instead of crawling under the bed, fiddling with knobs on the sub, crawling back out and trying to see if sounded better or worse.

I set the HPF and LPF at 120 so frequencies above 120 go to the regular speakers and below 120 go to the subwoofer. If you know the exact model of the regular speakers you have you can find frequency information, but I'm just going with the assumption that regular car audio speakers won't be very efficient under 120 hz, maybe the OP can correct me if I'm wrong.

The Sony stereo that came with the trailer also has different slopes for the HPF and LPF, so it can be a sharp or gradual dropoff over or under the frequency you select.

Question for the OP, the sub speakers don't appear to be built into boxes that would do much to reproduce sub frequencies. Do they depend on the furniture/cabinet they are built into to do that?

smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote