Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2020, 07:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Carrollton , Texas
HF Antenna

What HF antenna(s) is everyone using for operating at your site? What issues, if any, have you had trying to set up an antenna at your "normal" camp sites?

I'm using a 5BTV (ground mounted) and an 80-10 EFHW at the house for HF. I figure I'd be working 20m and 40m when on the road. I've got the U/V covered in the TV and will most likely add a fold-down antenna on the A/S.

73!
KI5X
grumblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
HF Antenna

I have a couple “H-type” portable antennas plus some portable multi band whip antennas on tripods that pack small. I forget the brands.

I’m working on a self-erecting whip antenna with an FC-40 tuner right at the base on the roof of the Airstream for quick setups similar to a Tarheel power mount system. It’s going to be based on an Icom mobile whip antenna, and made of aluminum parts from the home center.

All else fails, I carry some wire and rope for making field expedient antennas.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I have an “extra” screwdriver antenna I replaced when I thought it wasn’t working right. Turns out the new one was about the same. I plan to (sort of) follow in Jim, N5RTG’s footsteps. He bought, and I will build, a remotely controlled mount for the screwdriver on the roof of the trailer. Just one more antenna to forget to lower when breaking camp, lol.

I had an Icom 706 in the truck. When it failed I replaced it with a 706 Mark II. I use it for HF and have a Kenwood DM-710 for V/U.

I had the 706 repaired and will put it in the trailer for HF/VHF.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:48 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Hillsboro , Texas
I'm using a Yaesu FT-847 in my AS. I installed a base mount on the air baffle fin on the roof near the front A/C. I then mount a Yaesu ATAS-100 mobile antenna ("screwdriver") on the base which auto tunes with the FT-847. It covers 40M through 70cm. I route the coax through the rubber gasket on my slide out. I also use a 10 ft. (extends to 18') fiberglass painters pole for a Hustler 2M mobile colinear antenna on a base mount with skirt radials attached to the AS with 2 Harbor Freight Tools dual suction cup glass carriers. I use ball bungee cords around the handle to hold the painter's pole in place. VHF radio in the AS is a FT-1500. I also carry an Eagle 1 telescoping fiberglass 31' vertical that requires radials. I also have an old Collins portable dipole for 80M-10M. It is 2 stainless steel measuring tapes in one housing unrolling in opposite directions. It has ropes on each tape to hang in whatever you have nearby. I use an LDG YT-847 tuner with the Eagle 1 or the measuring tape dipole.
WBCCI #4432 & ARC member W9CJX
jwgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwgreen View Post
... I also have an old Collins portable dipole for 80M-10M. It is 2 stainless steel measuring tapes in one housing unrolling in opposite directions. It has ropes on each tape to hang in whatever you have nearby.
Thanks for the reminder. I have two of those and I never thought to carry one on the Airstream.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote