RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Garmin rear view camera.

I'm considering the Garmin 770 and adding the BC-30 rear view camera.
Here's the question I'd appreciate answered.
How do you view it?
I think I've got the basics, the BC-30 has a unique power cord for the screen with the traffic receiver AND back up camera video.
I get it.
But how do you tell the GPS to look at it? Is there an icon on the home screen? You cut away from the navigation?
Even the 770 manual doesn't address the back up camera.
If I was designing it, I'd have a small icon on the nav screen so you could toggle between the two. (and an icon on the camera screen to return you to navigation.)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:52 PM   #2
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I have a garmin and BC30. IIRC you could wire it to turn on off of Reverse light or other like running lights. I chose running lights so I can check rear while driving just by turning on running lights. But the screen has a GO BACK type function or select camera function. No big deal.

But I'm not a champion of the clarity of the BC30, a bit disappointing.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:46 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
From nav screen, hit back button icon. Then hit camera icon.

From camera screen, hit back button icon. Then hit view map icon to return to nav screen.

If you have voice activation, you might not have to take your hands off the wheel.

Not the best view while driving, works fine for backing up. Our bc30 is on when plugged into television power port. Since our camera is inside, we have to clean the window on occasion.

John
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAirS View Post
Not the best view while driving, works fine for backing up.
You're the third person to say that. Is the resolution just poor? Or is it the camera angle?
I just thought if I already had the GPS, adding the matching camera made sense and avoided yet another screen.

If you were starting from scratch, would you choose the Garmin BC-30 or the Voyager system?
I have a rear bed with USB ports near the window, so I was going to modify one of those to supply 12v. for the camera/transmitter. Mount the camera under the cabinet over the rear windows.
Not sure the Voyager will work inside an AS.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #5
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
I may not be using all the correct terms but here goes.

Resolution. Doesnít pick up details well. Like an orange traffic cone in my backup path until pretty late.

Refresh rate. If you turn on while driving looks like youíre looking thru a slow spinning fan blade.

Contrast shade to bright light. Not too good. Really burns image out.

Fisheye lens. Looks like they valued big view over other factors.

I swapped first gps unit for glass type screen and pretty sure tried the bc20 first then 30. Not much better.

Pluses integrates nicely with needed gps. Very small camera. No issues transmitter to receiver using remote antenna.

Next time I hook up Iíll point the camera down more and see if it helps and sacrifice some distance viewing.
S/OS #001
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Okay, here's where I am with the camera deal.
I like the "concept" of the Garmin RV 770 but was turned off by the $399 price tag. Last week I found the GPS store got a shipment of refurbished RV 770's in for $249. Same warranty, same accessories. So I ordered it.
It arrived today and looks new. Even the plastic on the screen and the bread ties on the cords and all the plastic packaging. The only thing to tell it was refurbished was the box said "factory refurbished."

When I get the camera (on order); I might as well jump in with both feet.
The BC 30 talks to the RV 770 using a new power cable for the GPS that contains the receiver.

I hope this isn't too far into the weeds, so here comes the question:

Now that I'm losing the OEM power cord with the traffic receiver, will I now have traffic AND camera or just camera????
I can't be the first person to wonder this.

I'm aware that Garmin sells a power cord with BOTH receivers for $80, but this is expensive enough for now. (I'd forsake traffic for a while)

I know some of you techies must have solved this by now.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:21 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
You will get traffic info. How are you mounting the camera?

John
Old 05-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:

John
Plan "A" is to mount it on the INSIDE, under the rear cabinet, looking out the back window. I'm adverse to drilling holes.
I may fashion a new bracket because the stock camera bracket looks flimsy. I just need to measure the distance between the screws.

Others report that they have success just leaving the transmitter on the bed. If that doesn't work, I'll extend the cable and put the transmitter in the front window, just while driving. The 26U seems to have USB power everywhere, so when I'm satisfied with the signal, I'll change one to a 12v. outlet.

Sound like a plan?
Old 05-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #9
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Garmin rear view camera.

I did get transmitter to send from rear to truck until I did a decent turning test then the signal got blocked.

Then I got the extension cord and picked up power off of running light circuit. To use I run cable draped over head front to back only for driving. Then disconnect, coil it and store under arm rest of couch. Antenna is on glass behind curtain.

Next run Iím going to point camera down more rather than Long view.
S/OS #001
Old 05-19-2018, 11:04 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
The camera bracket is substantial, but I got lucky with some action cam mounts laying around. You should be able to adapt the bracket. Probably screw it to the overhead cabinet.

I lay the transmitter on reflectix on the bed, my wife's idea. Transmitter gets warm. And it transmits fine from there. Garmin says 45ft. I've seen over 200ft. The other transmitter idea was to dangle it from one of the cabinet pulls over the bed to get better line of sight. Have not needed to do this.

This setup has allowed me to do a quick backup without my wife having to get out to assist. As for traffic approaching from behind, not much help.

John
Old 05-19-2018, 11:12 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
The camera bracket is substantial, but I got lucky with some action cam mounts laying around. You should be able to adapt the bracket. Probably screw it to the overhead cabinet.

I lay the transmitter on reflectix on the bed, my wife's idea. Transmitter gets warm. And it transmits fine from there. Garmin says 45ft. I've seen over 200ft. The other transmitter idea was to dangle it from one of the cabinet pulls over the bed to get better line of sight. Have not needed to do this.

This setup has allowed me to do a quick backup without my wife having to get out to assist. As for traffic approaching from behind, not much help.

John
I've studied your pictures. Great setup.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:

John
Here's the finished mount. I drilled a 5/16" hole in the cabinet dead center where the divider is. Then screwed in a brass insert for a 1/4 x 20 screw. The rest are Ram parts. The U shaped camera bracket was from a company suppling parts for ultralight aircraft.
If nothing else, I'm happy with the mount.

I ordered a 15' camera extension from e-bay to try the transmitter farther forward, but it does work just laying on the bed.
I'm getting power from one of the USB charge ports through an adaptor.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
rear camera power by TV/trailer running lights

i installed the camera outside over the rear bathroom window in my 22FB sport

it is wired to the running lights for power

when i am driving and want to see what s behind, i turn the TV vehicle light on.
that powers the rear camera. the garmin GPS now sees the rear camera and switches to it. if i am backing into a camping spot, i can see what behind the trailer .

if i leave the TV lights on i can watch the rear camera any time or use the GPS .

once i switch off the TV lights, the camera is powered off.

this works for me very well

i have the older 750 and there is a icon to switch between rear and GPS map mode
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:12 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
i installed the camera outside over the rear bathroom window in my 22FB sport

it is wired to the running lights for power

when i am driving and want to see what s behind, i turn the TV vehicle light on.
that powers the rear camera. the garmin GPS now sees the rear camera and switches to it. if i am backing into a camping spot, i can see what behind the trailer .

if i leave the TV lights on i can watch the rear camera any time or use the GPS .

once i switch off the TV lights, the camera is powered off.
That's the conventional method. It sounds like you're happy with it.
I just decided to put mine inside. The 770 has an icon also to switch between the camera or map.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:28 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Spooner , Wisconsin
I have a similar setup using the Garmin DriveAssist 50. A few observations and a question:
I got my 12vdc power inside my 26U from wires leading to one of the USB ports. The rear window has those lever arms that open and close the glass window. I then threaded this power through the slot that these arms traverse. Then put the camera on the glass with gorilla tape (12k miles ago).
The camera transmitter is centered on the inside (about where Mollysdad has his mount.) So it is transmitting right down the hallway to the truck. I lose the signal in a tight turn.
Two questions:
1) I also seem to lose the signal when it gets hot. I don't know if this is the sun heating up the transmitter or the receiver antenna (inside the GPS power cord). Anyone experience or solve this?
2) My DriveAssist fell down and broke. Does the RV770 have a forward looking dashcam, like the DriveAssist 50? I might use one of these as a replacement to couple with the existing backup camera.
WherryWillie is offline   Reply With Quote