RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-28-2021, 11:35 AM   #1

2018 30' International
Currently Looking...
Southern Pines , North Carolina
Garmin Backup camera BC-35

Anyone installed a Garmin BC 35 in a trailer? Or have experience with Garmin cameras using a GPS as the display? Garmin claims the BC 35 will work with my RV 890 GPS unit as the display screen.

It has a wireless transmitter than you can install either 5 feet from the camera or use buy a 50 foot extension cable.

Was thinking about mounting camera on the license plate bracket and get 12v power off the plate light wiring. Garmin claims 45' reception between transmitter and the GPS unit which in my case is 40' away... So might not work, but Garmin in my experience is very conservative with their specs.

If the 40' distance for the transmitter doesn't work; plan b could be mount the camera where the factory camera is mounted above the rear window, use the existing camera power wire and then if needed mount the wireless transmitter somewhere near the front of the trailer rooftop using the extension cable. In theory it should work.

Any prior experience with this would be great to hear about.

Tired of the poor quality of the factory backup camera and not connecting much of the time...
NC-Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:22 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
NC,

Several of us have mounted Garmin cameras inside the back window. I used mounting parts from my GoPro. Lay the transmitter on the bed and plug into the television power. 2001 trailer. No holes. Always works except when we forget to take the reflectix out of the front window. Not the best angle and not the best camera. But no holes, always works and one less thing on the dash.

Search for the bc30 on this site.

Sjohn
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
I use the Garmin 30 cameras with a garmin rv700 display. Put in several years ago. I have 2 cameras one mounted on the license plate and one mounted above the rear window for closeup of bumper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Camera 1 straight back.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	288.3 KB
ID:	387727 Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Camera 2 down angle.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	387728

I ran the extension cables to the front and mounted the transmitters in the front window to improve reception. I ran power to the cameras off the power/ground from the 7 wire cable so its only on when the truck is running (08 F150 supercrew a relay turns power circuit on only when the ignition is on).

CONS: Due to the "fisheye" type lens the distance is exaggerated. The license plate camera will show a car behind looks like 40-50' when its less than 10'. I can see the top of the vehicle since my front and rear window are quite large. Advantage of a vintage trailer. Refresh rate and pixel count are not up to par with current tech, but good enough. I installed mainly for backing up.

When turning on the rv700 if the truck isn't in line with the trailer occasionally the unit doesn't get the transmission from the trailer. I just reboot the rv700 when in line. However, I've never lost the transmission when turning a sharp corner, go figure.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I have a Garmin BC-30 that I installed INSIDE the rear window.
The only difference between the BC-30 and the BC-35 is the 35 is Wi-Fi while the 30 is Bluetooth.
I just lay the transmitter on the bed. I get power from one of the many USB outlets. (I do use a cigar lighter to USB adapter, since I put a cigar lighter plug on my camera.) The camera/transmitter only draws 150 mw. so there's no issue with the USB power.
The camera connects to my Garmin RV770 on the dash.
When I first power up the default is the camera. After switching to map, I still have an icon where I can switch back.
The camera supplied a different monitor power cord which has the camera receiver built in. I lost the traffic from the original power cord even thought I was told I'd get both. No.
The system is solid. I can't speak to the Wi-Fi vs. Bluetooth but mine never takes a hit. I've actually driven away and kept the connection for about 80'.
I actually bought a cable to extend the camera but never need it.
Now the negative. There's two. The biggie is the resolution is only 295 lines. It's fine in bright sun, but at dusk, trying to back into a spot, you can't distinguish a shrub from a rock from a shadow.
Ever watch a dub of a VHS tape? That's it.
I've begged Garmin to make one in 720P.
The other lesser problem is the camera is very wide angle. That's not all bad. While backing into my storage spot, I put a cone in the center and I can see the cone bump the bumper while also seeing all traffic behind me on the highway. The downside is vehicles passing start as a speck and zoom past growing in size. (Wide angle)
The bottom line is I love having one less monitor. It works as designed. It needs better resolution.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I have the BC-30 camera mounted on the back of the trailer up high, kind of where Airstream mounts theirs. I wasn't convinced the transmitter on the BC30 would reach the cab so I mounted the transmitter in a plastic junction box VHB taped to the roof just forward of the air conditioner.

I have a full solar array with it's own power drop through the roof so that left the roof solar prewire ports unused. I wired those connectors to 12v from the 7-pin connector so they are only powered up when the trailer is connected to the TV saving parasitic drain. The transmitter then just plugs into the solar pre-wire SAE connector.

In the picture you can see the little grey junction box on the roof between the AC and the solar prewire. You can kind of make out it's wire going back to the camera on the left (back) of the trailer.

I like not having yet another screen in the cab so for me the Garmin is a good solution. It would be a great solution with more resolution!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rZaIA4DIRV63Nv+buwNK9Q.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	387742  
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:22 PM   #6

2018 30' International
Currently Looking...
Southern Pines , North Carolina
Thanks for the replies, think I will attempt the interior rear window mount and see how that goes. If not option b on the roof is the next plan.
NC-Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:41 PM   #7
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
NC-Serenity,

2007 Classic I have the BC-30 and GPS. I wanted a discreet install but I used the extension cable.

Camera mounted above license plate. I picked up power from running light circuit from the inside, does not show in my rig. The signal did make it to the cab until I made a sharp maneuver then it dropped.

My solution was to use the extension cable and each time I need the camera I connect from the rear where the camera plug is and run it forward to the remote antenna that is on the inside front.

The cable is strung across the top of the interior and it's only visible while connected and in use. I store it up front. When not in use you do not see anything more than the small camera over the plate and nothing shows up inside.

Each install IMHO depends on the trailer config.

The camera is on with the trucks running lights.

I just wish the display resolution was better.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote