Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2021, 09:43 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Ford Factory Trailer Backup Camera

Has anyone installed the Ford factory "hardwired" backup camera kit on their AS? If so how does it work? How did you route the wiring? Does it self interface with the dash display screen? TIA
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 12:48 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Half Moon Bay , CA
I've been installing it for the past few days at a snail's pace. Should be done this weekend. Will update then with pics, .
Aegean-Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 03:44 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Orange Springs , Florida
Back up camera

I installed the camera/Back up camera kit in my 2018 F2 50 the truck was ordered with trailer package so the wiring is plug and play the kit also contained tire pressure monitoring system for the trailer and I had to have the stems install the tire shop which went very well, the routing for the back up camera underneath the trailer on the inside of the frame and then punched a hole under one of the rear beds and bought it up through there and straight out through the tag light Wiring hole and remove the flying clown emblem and now the camera in that space I had to drill two holes to mount the camera but if I take it out and replace it with the flying cloud album it will cover the holes. I didn’t cut any wires, just coiled the excess under the bed. System works great.
SPARKLE19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:57 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Half Moon Bay , CA
Ford Factory Trailer Backup Camera

My TV is a 2022 F350 with heavy duty tow package which, on the
front console touchscreen, has a view-option for trailer camera if equipped.
My Airstream is a 2021 Globetrotter which came with a preinstalled wireless backup camera which had a separate screen you could stick on the dash and plugged into the cigarette lighter. I hated this. I could never get it to work at the moments I wanted it to, which is the pressure cooker moments of reversing into a tight spot with families watching on. Always ender up me yelling at my fam!
So got the optional Ford Trailer Backup Camera with tire pressure monitoring system.

The installation I did myself was relatively easy but time-consuming, I'm guessing around 6-8 hours in total.

I placed the camera where the old camera was, using its two screw-holes. I used rivets instead of screws not least because I have a rivet tool. I didn't use the included bracket but a roof joist bracket I got from Ace as I wanted a longer projection outwards to peer over the awning cover and see the rear bumper.

The wire I routed over the roof and then, towards the front of the Airstream, down the side, running behind the arm of the side awning to disguise the wire. A 90 degree turn to the left to get behind the window protector, then down behind it and the rock-barrier to the undercarriage. From there it splits forward to the TV connection, and backwards to the Tire Pressure Monitoring Module which I placed behind the Black/Grey Water Tank unit, so as to lie close to the wheels and be protected. Excess wire I routed along existing gas pipes using their cable supports.

I spray-painted metallic grey the body of the camera and the black cable of the Ford harness where it crossed the aluminum body of the Airstream.

Haven't had the tire sensors installed yet, but the camera works great.

Not the cleanest or slickest of installations but I couldn't be bothered this time to run the cables inside.

Hopefully the pictures help make sense of some of the above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211105_204852059.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	407708   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211105_204913637.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	407709  

Name:	PXL_20211107_231630103.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	407710   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211107_235126286.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	372.8 KB
ID:	407711  

Name:	PXL_20211107_233438416.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	407712  
Old 11-07-2021, 09:53 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 23' International
Currently Looking...
Peachtree City , Georgia
I had the Ford back up camera/Tpms system installed on my 2019 F250. I really enjoyed using it as the picture was improved and in dash, as opposed to the Camera that came with the trailer.

I sold the system with my trailer. What is the part number that you have for the Ford system?

I’ve upgraded my truck and now have the F350 Platinum. The system I had was not compatible with the new F350 because the new truck has a yaw sensor as opposed to the sticker. Meaning both the TPMS/camera and Yaw both share the same connector to the truck. So I would have to swap from yaw to TPMS or vice versa if I wanted to use the pro back up assist. That’s what I’m hoping you have an updated part number if one exist that has a splitter for the yaw or a harness with the yaw built in along with the Camera/TPMS.

It’s something I plan to investigate in more detail with the Ford dealership parts department. Didn’t get too far on the first attempt as they hadn’t had much experience with the system a few months back.
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:06 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Half Moon Bay , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus View Post
What is the part number that you have for the Ford system?
Part No: LC3Z1A189A
SUPER DUTY 2017-2022 TRAILER SENSOR KIT WITH PRO TRAILER BACKUP ASSIST

It came with the 5th Wheel YAW harness section integrated; obviously we don't need that, so I just cut it off at the split.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:27 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 23' International
Currently Looking...
Peachtree City , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegean-Blue View Post
Part No: LC3Z1A189A

SUPER DUTY 2017-2022 TRAILER SENSOR KIT WITH PRO TRAILER BACKUP ASSIST

It came with the 5th Wheel YAW harness section integrated; obviously we don't need that, so I just cut it off at the split.

Awesome! Thank you. I couldn’t find a picture of that particular part online while I was researching. Seems the images I found were only with the camera/TPMS combo (the part I had on my previous unit).
Thanks for verifying. Have you used the pro trailer back up?
I’ve never used it myself didn’t want to play around with the stickers. But now, since the stickers are gone, I’ll probably give it a try.
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:56 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Half Moon Bay , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus View Post
Have you used the pro trailer back up?
I’ve never used it myself didn’t want to play around with the stickers. But now, since the stickers are gone, I’ll probably give it a try.
Absolutely the same here...! Cant be any worse than my backing-in skills.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:37 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Thanks for the info. I think I am going to route my wiring inside along the floor on the roadside because I can hide the cable all the way. I just need to figure out where to poke through to the outside over the back window awning.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:07 AM   #10
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I didn't want to drill any extra holes in my trailer. I ran the cable along the frame and came out around the rear bumper. I used surface mounted clips that install with VHB tape to run the cable on the surface on the back of the trailer. I attached the camera bracket with VHB tape, also.

At the end of the season, I take the camera off and store it inside. I take the cable down, coil it up and zip tie it under the bumper. I figure they will past longer being out of the weather.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 04:01 PM   #11

2017 27' Flying Cloud
San Luis Obispo , California
I have same system on '21 F250. I used the Ford Bracket in the same place as "Aegean-Blue" so the cable shows as his does in photo. I then ran it under the solar panel, down the refrigerator vent into the space under the refrigerator into the fresh water belly pan, out forward and followed the gas line to the front of the trailer [ cut the excess line out and used a plastic exterior junction box bolted to the Passenger side of the waste belly pan to connect the cut ends. ] attached the sender unit to the front frame member and attached the 12 way cord to the 7 way - light/brake cord. System functions ok but still having trouble with the checkerboard strip as the truck "brain" keeps loosing it.
I think the problem is the very short distance from the tailgate camera to the center of the sticker. The propane cover limits the distance the sticker can be placed - mine had start 7" from center of "ball" with part of the last row being covered by the propane tank cover after I moved the emergency trailer wheel brake key to the passenger side of the A frame
Slotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:14 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Long Beach , California
I have a 2021 F150 and this would be great if it worked smoothly (no "truck brain" glitches), though the expense and effort seems a bit much. Also considering this Haloview that other threads have discussed, which uses a LCD over the rear view mirror - my understanding is the official Ford camera is double the cost?
wayne b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:19 PM   #13
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbashin View Post
Has anyone installed the Ford factory "hardwired" backup camera kit on their AS? If so how does it work? How did you route the wiring? Does it self interface with the dash display screen? TIA
I have a 2019 F250 and I installed one on my 23 FC. I mounted the camera below the rear window and routed the wire down to left of the bumper and under the trailer. I used tie wraps along existing propane lines and axles and plastic cable clamps with self tapping screws to hold the harness. It works real well, displays on the center screen, and displays the tire pressure on the screen by the speedo. I used 3/16 rivets and 3m double sided tape on the camera mount .