RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-04-2019, 01:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Kenmore , Washington
Factory-Installed Backup/rearview camera question(s)

Our new 2019 FC 25' comes with a factory-installed camera; does it also come with a monitor? We are shopping for a truck to tow and depending on the year/trim level, it may not have a camera monitor in the truck for its own backup camera. Is there a monitor I can purchase if I want a backup/hitch camera on the truck that will also be compatible with the camera that comes with the AS? I guess the AS camera will show the rear view continuously. I definitely have a steep learning curve and DH is not a lot of help as he's trying to finish a major project at work! We don't even pick the trailer up until May 1st so we can get our "act together"!
NellBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The Airstream factory installed camera has a monitor that plugs in to the 12v outlet in your tow vehicle.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:37 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Pearl , Alaska
Since the voyager camera is WiFi , You could possibly buy a second voyager camera and install somewhere on your Tow Vehicle. Not sure it could be placed to provide hitch view also, but the Voyager monitor has more than 1 channel so it probably could give you different views , but not simultaneously....
I would strongly consider getting a vehicle with its own backup and hitch camera...My 2016 F 150 has both....
Deltaboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:07 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Kenmore , Washington
Thanks ya'll! This is extremely helpful! This just reconfirms my argument to DH that we DO need truck that has built-in back-up camera/hitch camera already installed �� He's just going to have to suck it up and spend a little more $$! LOL
NellBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NellBell View Post
we DO need truck that has built-in back-up camera/hitch camera already installed ��
Yes! It makes hitching so much easier, not to mention backing out of parking spaces, etc.
The good news is that most if not all manufacturers have it as standard equipment.
I use the one on my Tundra daily. It's very wide angle, so if you're backing onto a street, you can see what's coming before you back up!
I wish there was a option to use it in forward. There's many a time I wanted to see how tight a turn I was making with the Airstream before I crunched the tank cover.
(I'm told the Tundra can show the BU camera IF, you are driving more than 25 mph, AND throw it into reverse! It's supposed to lock out the reverse gear but activate the camera. I don't have the nerve to try it.)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:44 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belleville , Illinois
The back-up camera is very helpful when driving on the highway since you can see if it is safe to change lanes. But there is a bit of delay in the transmission. If you are passing, the vehicle you pass is really farther away than the camera indicates. But if a vehicle is passing you it is actually closer that what the camera indicates.
Presitla99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:12 PM   #7
On Comet

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Santee , California
My 2017 Flying Cloud 25RB came with the factory-installed camera AND a monitor, which plugs into a TV 12DC outlet as others on this post have indicated.
Silver Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Cumming , Georgia
If you buy a GMC Sierra with backup camera you can try something that really makes backing up to your AS for hookup,easy. First, as you put the truck in reverse, you can watch and see both your hitch and the trailer in the dash monitor. This allows you to line up exactly on the ball as your backing. Once you get about 1 foot away from the trailer , stop, get out and lower your tailgate but only halfway. On the passenger side of the tailgate there is a cable that connects your tailgate to the truck. Take that cable and put it around the round metal latch that is mounted to the truck where the tailgate latches. This will hold your tailgate halfway open, or at at 45 degree angle. Now your rear camera is pointed directly down and is looking right at the ball of your hitch. Now when you put the truck in reverse you get a perfect view of your hitch ball and the trailer once your about 1 foot away. This allows you to put the ball of your hitch exactly where you want it under the trailer receiver. I love this little trick but most people with GM trucks don’t know about it.
Scott59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:29 PM   #9
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
The best thing to do is to find a company that installs GPS and video equipment like Kenwood or other sound systems. Get them to order an auxiliary camera system that is compatible with your sound system, maybe an OEM sound/GPS. They can match up your system like mine. I have an auxiliary switch that flips my tailgate or Airstrem backup camera to the main screen on my GPS. It sure handy when backing up and watching tailgaters.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:49 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Northfield , Minnesota
The resolution on the one that comes with the AS is crummy... But it does the job.
rwigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Napa , California
The trailer back up camera is fabulous, just plug and go! It even has sound so the driver can hear what anyone is doing/saying behind the trailer. Of course, the person directing from the rear can't hear the driver unless you use a cell phone or walkie taliie or have really stable hand signals. Turn off the sound when you are driving, because the extra road noise will make you crazy in short order.

However, a back up camera on the truck (or tow vehicle) is even BETTER if that is possible. We've been towing various trailers for years and there was always that tense moment when my husband would holler from the driver's seat about not understanding what "that thing" I was trying to show him with my hands meant. Sometimes yelling and cursing would follow that, storming out of the truck to see and some general comments about my intelligence or lack thereof.

A good friend helped by cleaning up our signals and directions -"drivers side" and "passenger side" work far better than left or right, "forward/backward- inch, foot, or more" rather than a generic "just an inch or two" and hands up near the face and not waving around so they don't vanish (too high or too low) and the driver doesn't think that pulling down your shirt is part of the directions.

After an unusually tense hook up morning, when husband turned off and slammed out of the truck to see what I was trying to signal we discovered our truck needed a new alternator and couldn't be restarted to finish hooking up, and worse couldn't be fixed for several days. Guess that's better in the driveway than on the road, but sheesh.

Enter the new truck with a back up camera. Husband called me out to try to hook up the trailer and I was slow getting there, still stinging from the earlier session and not eager to have another go at it and, amazingly he had it all done. Without my valuable input (well, maybe not that valuable...). I could have kissed that truck -and I did kiss my husband!

These are wonderful, marriage saving tools...
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:23 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Baltimore , Maryland
2020 GMC 2500 HD Denali comes with optional 360 cameras and with one to put on the back of the trailer
beachrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Many/most new trucks come with backup cameras mounted in the tailgate so you can see easily to hookup, but the OEM monitor will be different than your Voyager. At least for GM there are some expensive options that put cameras on the mirrors, top of the cab, and even a camera for the trailer rear. These cameras give you a great side view or all around view. My trailer is too old for the factory camera so I mounted a GM(Intellihaul) camera on the back of my trailer and I love being able to switch between it and the tailgate camera, viewing on my large console display. But, that setup will not integrate the Voyager camera so you are stuck with a separate display for it.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:09 PM   #14
Cobalt

2019 25' International
Anywhere , Tennessee
TV Backup Cameras

I believe Backup Cameras are a requirement for all sold in US from 2019 on. The one I have for my 2017 allows me to put the hitch on very easy. Whenever it gets water on it it may not project in truck great, so just hit it with a rag beforehand.
I think with all AS models from 2019 on cameras come stock with all AS. The one I have is great. Resolution is good. The only problem for some folks may be how and where to mount it. Mine suction cups to inside window easily. The only complaint I have is “Vehicles in the monitor may be farther away than they seem.”
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
AS Rear Camera Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by NellBell View Post
Our new 2019 FC 25' comes with a factory-installed camera; does it also come with a monitor? We are shopping for a truck to tow and depending on the year/trim level, it may not have a camera monitor in the truck for its own backup camera. Is there a monitor I can purchase if I want a backup/hitch camera on the truck that will also be compatible with the camera that comes with the AS? I guess the AS camera will show the rear view continuously. I definitely have a steep learning curve and DH is not a lot of help as he's trying to finish a major project at work! We don't even pick the trailer up until May 1st so we can get our "act together"!
NellBell, congratulations on your new FC 25’ and welcome! As others have noted, the in-vehicle monitor comes with the trailer. Communication to the camera is wireless, just plug the monitor into a 12v socket and turn on your headlights to activate the camera. I loved watching three rows of traffic behind our FC23FB when towing on the expressway. It gives you a chance to check before changing lanes.

While the monitor does have a suction cup mount, it is on the large side. I left ours in the console cup holder rather than mount to the windshield. Your mileage may vary.

Another poster mentioned the new GMC truck’s ability to view on the vehicle’s display. That’s an awesome feature. The new HD Ram’s have an optional trailer camera that will do the same. Also, the Ram’s have an available 12” display that is amazing. *We have it in our ‘19 Ram 1500. NAV is something to see on it.

One other neat Ram HD feature is trailer tire pressure monitoring in the truck’s speedometer pod. This eliminates another external display just for trailer TPMS.

Sounds like you’re aware of the learning curve but you’re in the right place. So many great vets here to share ideas.

Almost forgot! Edmund’s published a video review of their long-term Ram 1500 towing a FC25’.
Fun to watch! https://youtu.be/E3de_70FD4k

Happy Camping!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E23C5C03-8178-4E12-A2E2-C4FF026F2F66.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	544.4 KB
ID:	337872   Click image for larger version

Name:	34AADB34-78BF-493A-925C-3D05AEF026B8.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	425.1 KB
ID:	337873  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4C86412D-71F3-4672-BF2B-D381F7CB24ED.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	337874  
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Reverse image

My monitor reverses the image so it looks like the left passing vehicles are on the right. Is there any way to correct that?
notab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Try this button trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by notab View Post
My monitor reverses the image so it looks like the left passing vehicles are on the right. Is there any way to correct that?
Had this happen to us: The on/off button controls the "mirror"/"mirror off" function. By holding the on/off button in for 5 seconds after the screen unit is on, the function changes from "mirror" to "mirror off".
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote